Honestly, I'm afraid to install...

Started by neocortex, August 15, 2012, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun Arrigo

... then you have no idea as to what you are missing - for moi its ML that turned the camera into a beast. Believe me the name MAGIC says it all. Again well done to everyone involved.
shaun

revadan

im happy with ML. at 1st i was afraid to install it, but did try..now my camera is like a beast..Superb functions that high end camera has. I am not erasing such software from my card.. its very useful compared to the on board menus of canon.. best thanks to the developers!

spacef2012

ML has been harmless to my 60D.
If I don't want ML, I just plug a SD Card with no ML on it.
But now, all my SD Cards have ML installed. I use the white balance & intervalometer intensively, and sometimes other functions.

ilguercio

Quote from: spacef2012 on November 12, 2012, 04:48:12 PM
ML has been harmless to my 60D.
If I don't want ML, I just plug a SD Card with no ML on it.
But now, all my SD Cards have ML installed. I use the white balance & intervalometer intensively, and sometimes other functions.
Or you keep SET pressed as you boot the camera.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

neilmcse

Quote from: neocortex on August 15, 2012, 10:02:16 PM
Honestly, I'm afraid to install. After seeing a sentence like this: And, remember that this software can damage or destroy your camera.

I have a 5D mark 2 and I have no money to buy another.

If you do not offer the least security, then they are fools who use the ML.

Sorry, but this is my opinion.

I would love to use, but after reading this, no more.

60D here. Have had it for about 3 weeks. Just getting my arms around it and thought I'd give it a go.

Hogo

I donated but i can't download ML 2.3 stable file. Does anyone know y?

micklesh

Quote from: Hogo on January 04, 2013, 09:25:30 AM
I donated but i can't download ML 2.3 stable file. Does anyone know y?

Something wrong with the site/server I think, as there are some parts not working, including downloads page

nanomad

edit: fixed, somehow the system forgot to notify an important update....  >:(
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nagualdesign

First I was afraid, I was petrified.. ♫  ;)

Have you ever taken any medication? Ever taken a common painkiller or antibiotic? Ever read the list of possible side effects before taking them?

The warning on the ML readme file is a disclaimer, nothing more. And I'm guessing it's so strongly worded in order to scare away idiots from doing damage to their equipment because they're not apt to follow instructions. Are you an idiot? Can you follow instructions?

Now weigh up the single line in the OP highlighted in bold against the many thousands of comments on this website and others by happy Magic Lantern users. If you're still unsure try doing a thorough search for somebody who has actually damaged their camera by using ML. And if you're still unsure just forget about it. Nobody is trying to persuade you to use Magic Lantern.

Warning: May cause loss of scalp and penis!  ;D

extremelypoorfilmaker

If that can re-assure you: I used to have a 6D and a good set of lens, a nice laptop, electric guitar.
One night they broke in my room (as i am flatsharing) and the stole EVERYTHING i had (while i was asleep in bed) only leaving behind the ps3 and teleevision (strange huh?)

To get all the gear i had, i saved up for almost a year, as my day job pays very little. Well, after a lot of difficulties to find someone willing to lend me £1500, i re-bought my 6D and the first thing i did as soon as arrived: Install Magic Lantern. And trust me, the first time i installed it, my heart was racing at the thought of lose AGAIN my camera. i think i even broke some cold sweat when the ML installer kicked in.

The risk is there, and lighting can struck, but as all the amazing people on this forum have showed me, fear not. Because the advantages you get are really worth the risk you will take, and anyway, as long as you do everything following the instructions brilliantly provided by the geniuses behind this god-send firmware, you will be fine! Actually, i am saving up now in order to get the 5D mark III, so to be finally able to shoot continuos RAW! :)

DeafEyeJedi

Very well said, @extremelypoorfilmaker!  ;)

*cheers*
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

extremelypoorfilmaker

Thank you very much @DeafEyeJedi :)

I wish i had some software development skills, so to be able to help more! All i can do for now it is only report bugs

@nagualdesign

I have actually read some of the post related to bricked camera on the forum, and that reassured me quite a bit in case anything goes wrong. The amount of help that senior members and developers give is just amazing

Historical_Hall_of_Fame

Do it Do It and fall in love with your Camera all over again. just don't do it on April 1st lol for real

BenLathwell

I have been using ML on my T5I (700D) for well over 6 months and i have not had any problems. The only issues are some of the displays are glitchy. It works great for me.

axelcine

Been working my butt off saving up for a full frame - then I stumped upon a used 5dIII, bought it for a song... and the following day a brand new 5dIII literally fell in my turban as part of an heritage. Lucky me! And of course I set one up with firmware 113/ML and the other with 123/ML. So 2016 is going to be a fantastic year with lots of productivity.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

DeafEyeJedi

Gosh I am so envious of you... [emoji12]

May 2016 bring you happiness, @axelcine!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

This tread was started by neocortex and his anxiety about ML. Well ML is the main reason that I have been working my way hard towards the M5III. DeafEyeYedi, I remember a tread, where a guy was trying to save up for a 5DII, and your solemn advice was to go for the III. So you see? I listen to what you say. The best part is, that when I read all your posts (and a lot of other's as well, of course), I get the feeling, that I know my new cameras inside-out already, like I have been test-driving the cams for a long time. The ML site is a treasure chest.

I am the happiest guy on the planet - I was totally happy with my 700d, and it's going to be my work horse when I shoot documentaries for our local TV station. It's light weight and I have quite a few fine EF-S's for it. But when it comes to film making, I'm confident my new jewels are going to bring me so much wonderful moments, as I have rarely had before. I know I'm going to learn how to handle a new monster machine, and I'm soooo looking forward to it. I have a Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3, a few much shorter primes and the Sigma 10-20, so I can hardly wait for some good weather and a few lions in our open zoo parks.

If neocortex reads this: ML has changed the way I work with my cameras, a thing I have been doing since I got a Nikkormat FT 50/1.4 back in 1966 when I was 13 years old. I gave my son Michael an almost new Nikon 3100 and a couple of good lenses 3 years ago, when I shifted to Canon, mainly to get ML. Since then he has bought a Nikon 5200. We're competing, but with ML I always have an advantage. (He-he!) When he sees what a full frame ML can do, he's gonne kill me.

Have confidence in ML. A few of my friends have asked me, why I'd risk spoiling my cam. I read the instructions, Walter's dry but o' so correct advice, the many tons of good info on this site, and of course ML works without a glitch. I have yet to read a post, where somebody actually proves, that ML has bricked his cam. The only problem is, that it'll take you a lifetime to get through all the options.

In Denmark something like $2500 would buy you a well-cared for second hand 5DIII, and about the half for a 5DII. I am sure, used gear is even cheaper in the Americas, and in this age of internet I would not hesitate to buy over the net. ML makes it absolutely worthwhile to go for a second hand camera.

If Rolls-Royce got ML, their cars could fly! And a wonderful 2016 to all of you, too. It's going to be so much fun? life? art making? love? sunshine? good work? All of it, of course.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

hjfilmspeed

Been running ML for 2 + years now. I have seen a hand full of very miner glitches and most were human error on my part. Follow instructions, when in dought pull the battery out. Never turn off your camera if something goes wrong. Just pull out batt. I can't believe how good it is but I have to say still that you use it at your own risk. But its amazing.

Stedda

Is this officially the oldest post ever dug up?
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Walter Schulz

Not even close. Some necrophilia occured with threads resting in peace much longer.

axelcine

Walter, I tend to agree with you. When a thread has been dormant for, say, a year, might it not be OK to archive it? This thread was dormant from JAN 13 to DEC 14, almost 2 years.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: Vikapolyak on March 01, 2016, 06:58:16 AM
I honestly think my husband will change when he gets out.
Your husband is that guy who stolen extremelypoorfilmaker's gear?

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on March 01, 2016, 07:49:43 AM
Your husband is that guy who stolen extremelypoorfilmaker's gear?

Hey, Vikapolyak! I want my lenses and guitar back! He can keep laptop and camera. And if he has installed Magic Lantern on my good old 6D he can keep the 24-105mm L RAW video will show him the light! :D I now own a 5D3, probably in 2 years will own a RED (Unless the devs accept £5000 to tailor made magic lantern for the C100 / 1DC for me!)
But I want my 11-16mm tokina back!!! :D

Mirsad

Hello guys, im new there. I wanna post a new topic but i found already open one.

I new user of Canon 6D (cca 4 months) with Samyang 14mm F2.8.
I like so much ML but im worried alot because i dont have money for new one camera.. Im ready for risky but i wanna know some things before im instal it.
Main reason why im wanna instal is (zoom in screen for focus, multi ISO picture and 4k Video.
I am beginner so wanna know some things.

1. Are i can remove ML and back to factory like i had before ?
2. Is there any Canon 6D camera had hardware problem after use ML ?
3. I have new firmware. (problem?)
4. I have Sandisk Ultra 80mb/s HC1 16gb is enough for record HDR FullHD video and standar 4K video?

Thank you guys

Walter Schulz

1.: Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ/Install Guide
2.: No. All of them were software problems.
3.: See 1. and install instructions on Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds
4.: There is no card able to do this because 6D's interface limit is about 41 MByte/s which is good for 720p24 in continuous mode.