Shooting raw monochrome?

Started by 70MM13, November 04, 2017, 09:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

Hi all,
I'm curious if there would be any way to set ML to shoot raw video in monochrome, potentially to reduce the amount of data being recorded.
I have no idea if it's possible to do this at the lowest level, and even if so, would it actually reduce the amount of data?
Obviously, I'm interested in shooting monochrome.
Thanks.

Walter Schulz

You *are* shooting monochrome. Sort of. http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/color-monochrome-camera-sensors

Or to answer your question: For your cam it will not reduce the amount of data to process in camera for raw recording.

70MM13

bpv5P

Unless we only record Green channel (stop recording of Red-Blue) and interpolate later... but, even if that's possible, it would have a very bad quality (aliasing/moire).
@70MM13 there's a option in RawTherapee in the demosaicing panel called "monochrome".

70MM13

katrikura

Interesting link, however, I would also like to know if someone has experience in black and white raw recording with magic lantern and if you should have any special consideration, in terms of configuration, to get the best result.

Thank you.

bpv5P

You can't recording RAW in b&w on normal canon cameras. Learn how bayer filter works, so you will understand that.
Some Leica digital cameras are especially designed for b&w photography, but that's not the case here.
About configuration, there would be no difference from color recording.

axelcine

Raw is always in color. Even if your raw photo editor transforms the picture according to any chosen picture style, the basic raw file is always in color. Convert in post. If raw could be filtered, it would not be raw any more, would it?
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

ItsMeLenny

It's not exactly in colour, every pixel is in a value form which could be considered greyscale, but it knows which ones are which colours, red green and blue, but the bayer filter filters out the colours for each greyscaled pixel.

I was about to say The Red cameras released a version of their camera with no bayer overlay, but then I looked at the link first posted and I think that's what it is talking about.

I did hear something, it may just be hearsay, somebody carefully scraped the bayer colours off their sensor.