Lengthen video recording time

Started by InFocusAV, August 15, 2012, 05:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InFocusAV

Someone told me magic lantern extended the time you could record for in movie mode but the FAQ makes me think otherwise? Should I just get a t4i?

1%

It is being worked on. on 600D its doing OK. t4i has no ML and a slightly annoying touch screen.

Datadogie

You still have the 4gig memory problem. But ML has a continue record setting unfortunately you get a 2-4sec dropout while the video restarts. :-\
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Malcolm Debono

Other than what 1% said, the closest you can get to continuous recording is Movie Restart, which automatically restarts recording when it stops. The downside is that you loose a second or two of footage.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

InFocusAV

Quote from: 1% on August 15, 2012, 05:25:19 PM
It is being worked on. on 600D its doing OK. t4i has no ML and a slightly annoying touch screen.

So when you say it's being worked on do you mean y'all are trying to increase the file limit so that you can get 29:59   or are y'all just creating the movie restart specifically for the t3i?

Francis

The movie restart is available in all fully supported models already. "It's being worked on" refers to trying to increase the file size limit which is linked to filesystem used on the memory card itself. For example, exFAT does not have the same limits that FAT16 and FAT32 have.

The alternative right now is to record at a lower bitrate, like 0.8x CBR or something like that which will give you longer record times, but lower image quality.

1%

G3gg0's hack lets you record 16gb continuous on T3i, I incorporated it into my build. He is working on extending it to other cameras (there is a test build up). I think it *should* be working on everything that supports exfat. 30 minute limit is still there but that is a big file. Movies have to be patched afterwards.

InFocusAV

Quote from: 1% on August 15, 2012, 07:35:59 PM
G3gg0's hack lets you record 16gb continuous on T3i, I incorporated it into my build. He is working on extending it to other cameras (there is a test build up). I think it *should* be working on everything that supports exfat. 30 minute limit is still there but that is a big file. Movies have to be patched afterwards.

Can you record at full quality 1080p and get up to 30 min of record tine with this hack? How would I install the particular hack after installing magic lantern? I'm just scared of doing anything not supported by the head haunchos of magic lantern but I have the opportunity to get a great deal on a t3i but I really want the long video length of the t4i. Thank you guys for all the help. Please keep the info coming because I really want to learn the ins and outs  of magic lantern and how it helps the camera

InFocusAV

Quote from: 1% on August 15, 2012, 07:35:59 PM

And if there's someone that has already extended the file size limit, why is there more research being done if the problem had already been solved?

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: InFocusAV on August 15, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
And if there's someone that has already extended the file size limit, why is there more research being done if the problem had already been solved?

To my understanding, the current work-around is to use exFAT file system rather than FAT32, which allows files to exceed 4gb. The problem is that some cameras do not support this file format, and the resulting videos need to be 'fixed' using software on the PC in order to be playable.

The best approach would be to split larger files into 4gb files, but the devs are still working on that. If I got any info wrong, please feel free to correct since I'm not fully up-to-date on this!
C100 & 6D shooter

pipkato

Thanks for that info 1%.

This is the first I've heard about this exFAT possible option.  I have a 600D and noticed you do too, and mentioned that it's working on that model. 

Can you explain a little more?  Is it possible to add this option to the new ML 2.3?  If so, are there downsides to the extended time exFAT recording?  Is it stable and reliable?  Are we talking about a max of 16GB?  That would be terrific, if it was possible.

Thanks.

Quote:
1%
Developer

600D

Lengthen video recording time
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:35:59 pm »

nanomad

It won't be added in 2.3 as 2.3 is already out. If that feature proves to be stable it will probably be part of the new 2.4 ML release or whatever it will be called.
ML 2.3 is a stable release which means no new features, just bug fixes for now
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

pipkato

Quote from: nanomad on August 16, 2012, 12:15:01 AM
It won't be added in 2.3 as 2.3 is already out. If that feature proves to be stable it will probably be part of the new 2.4 ML release or whatever it will be called.
ML 2.3 is a stable release which means no new features, just bug fixes for now

Thanks nanomad (I'm guessing your reply is to my questions).

I'm not a techie, so wasn't sure if it might be possible to 'add' it into the already seriously impressive ML 2.3.

Have you any info or a link to info on my other questions?  I've done some Googling but can't turn up anything on this exFAT extended recording feature.

Thanks.

1%

QuoteIf so, are there downsides to the extended time exFAT recording?  Is it stable and reliable?

The downside is fixing the files after. I've only recorded 20 something minutes. The 30 minute limit can probably be patched out all the same just hasn't been done. I haven't really noticed any instability, it just patches max file size.

I have it on my repo, g3gg0 has a bin for all cameras in RE forum. Its not JUST enabling exfat.

scrax

exending file limit on 600D:
how to

* THIS IS DANGEROUS AND MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA.   *
          *  MORE THAN ANY STABLE RELEASE!!!. AND IS LESS TESTED *
          *  NO WARRANTIES.  NO GUARANTEES.  DO NOT TAUNT.        *

1. Format card to EXFat
2. Make bootable
3. Copy ML 2.3 zip contents on card
4. overwrite autoexec.bin with the one from 1% fork
5. record more than 4GB.
6. fix the video file with g3gg0 tools on post

all link to what needed are here
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

g3gg0

Quote from: scrax on August 16, 2012, 05:23:19 AM
6. fix the video file with g3ogg3 tools on post

*cough* g3gg0 ;)

about how to make exFAT cards bootable - this one will help: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Malcolm Debono

C100 & 6D shooter

scrax

Sorry g3gg0 I don't know why it's too hard for me to remember,  :-[
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

TompDog

600D here....OK...so I think I've finally sorted through everything contained on this site and managed to follow all of the steps to 1) install Magic Lantern, 2) install Tragic Lantern over top of it with the "autoexec.bin.600D.Exfat-Oct8" from 1%'s Binbucket repo ......

HOWEVER..... when i select "Don't click me" from the menu....it starts recording and stops after like 10 seconds.....

1)  Is that the correct autoexec.bin file
2)  when i originally installed ML on the SD card following the instructions i found, before it was ExFat formatted, I had to update the firmware through the camera with the card installed....HOWEVER, once its ExFat formatted it will not allow me to update the firmware....i assumed that was ok bc of the ExFat thing...but I'm wondering if I've done something wrong???

anyone have thoughts?

When i get this worked out.... i really want to create a concise set of instructions for noobs like me to follow that want to record longer than 4g+.....

thanks in advance

TompDog

OK....with some help from 1% last night here is where I am....

I decided to go with Tragic lantern 2.0 up and going with the [600D]NewMem.zip build.... i went to the video Hacks or whatever and selected 16gb as opposed to the 4gb option....

Results.... It seemed to be working.... when it counted down as if time was about to run out, it just started over again after it hit zero.... it then rolled over a second time.... it ultimately cut itself off after almost 30 minutes of continuous recording....

HOWEVER.... when i put the memory card in my computer I found 2 interesting things....1) it actually created 1 large 12.5 gb file, not separate 4 gb files as i had expected... very interesting...2) UNFORTUNATELY the video was only "good" video up until the first rollover at ~10 minutes....at that point the next ~20 minutes was a frozen frame the 10 minute mark....

do you think its a setting? .....should i go back and try one of 1%'s builds or g3gg0's builds from back when they first successfully got it to work?

any thoughts are appreciated....

g3gg0

as i wrote in the PM: did you run EOSMovieFixer?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

TompDog

I did run the video fixer... although it worked, after the 2nd time the counter "rolled over", which was at the 21 minute mark or so, the video became choppy and pretty much unusable...

I'm playing around with some other autoexec.bin files not to see what i can come up with ....maybe certain versions will be more stable?

One other big question i have... is there a .bin version where the audio recording will work?  Every version i have tried so far stops recording immediately after starting.... I have seen at least one thread where someone reported this to work, but i can't find the thread to reference it.

Thanks,

ST

TompDog

OK...so at this point I've solved the problem by installing the TL 2.0 build "[600D] 16GB Movies.zip" from 5-5-13, which is at the bottom here... https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads

It stopped recording at 29:59 as expected..... i took it up to my old windows 7 pc, ran the eosmoviefixer, now it seems perfect.

SO.... at this point I would really like to know if there is a way within that build that I can record audio....  In the following conversation 1% and another poster appear to reference being able to record audio by tweaking some settings in one of the builds, but i can't figure out which build exactly and exactly which settings they are referring to turning "on" and "off."
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/issue/3/when-using-video-hacks-sound-movie

When I get this all figured out I'm going to create a thread that clearly walks people through the correct steps and locations of files to download, as there is a real lack of any condensed & straightforward information on doing this....I've had to pull it together from all over the place from threads spanning the last 2 years....

anyway...thanks to any that can help...and especially 1% & g3gg0...

jkantola1

I just want to give a big shout out thank you to everyone on this thread. I have been searching the internet for this type of information for days now and finally in this thread received the information I was looking for! This is my first time using the Magic Lantern Forums and it is awesome to see just a great community that is willing to help in the process! Thank you!