London - 5D mark II x MLV App

Started by ilia3101, October 29, 2017, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

A short movie shot on a day out in London (featuring a really nice golden hour). An attempt at getting back in to """"creativity"""" (been trying for like 2 years).

Used good old MLV 2.0 with mlv_snd.mo. Clips taken at full-sensor 3:2 resolution of 1856x1250.
Lenses were: 58mm Helios, 85mm Jupiter, 135mm Pentax Takumar, and 19-35 zoom. The usual.
MLVs processed completely in MLV App and slapped together in final cut pro.

D_Odell

Good to see your vid! I appreciate not normal aspect ratios 👍 Also enjoyed pics of London, 15 years since I was there!

Thanks!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Kharak

Very nice, its nice when you hit those creative moments. Very nice colours

Being outdoors is important for that, especially seeing new places.

That seagull shot, that was very dreamy. What lens was that? Creamy highlights and bloom, the CA has a very vintage look.

And what lens is this 19-35? A Takumar ? @00:19 is that the widest, @19mm? I am looking for a super wide vintage lens, sharpness is not the most important, I am looking for contrast, but still holding a vintage look. How is your experience on the wider end on this 19-35 ? How is it around the 19-24 range?

And where do you do your upscaling in the line ?
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

Those files looks really great. Like coming from acr. Is it ffmpeg prores422?
I totally can relate to getting back into "creativity" :). Just hard sometimes. I bet Mlv app makes it easier though.

ilia3101

@D_Odell Thanks :) I was also pleasantly surprised by how amazing London was after not seeing it for a couple of years.

Quote from: Kharak on October 29, 2017, 06:54:41 PM
That seagull shot, that was very dreamy. What lens was that? Creamy highlights and bloom, the CA has a very vintage look.
Yep, I like to whip that effect out now and then, it's very unique.
That's the Jupiter 85mm f2.0 wide open (I might have a slightly soft copy), and filmed in crop mode - resolution something like 1072x1600 (5D2 vertical limit in crop). This lens:

(picture isn't mine)

Quote from: Kharak on October 29, 2017, 06:54:41 PM
And what lens is this 19-35? A Takumar ? @00:19 is that the widest, @19mm?
Yes, that is actually the only shot with that lens, and yes it's at 19mm. The lens isn't really vintage, it's from the 90s, a Cosina 19-35mm, it's also branded as vivitar and tamron I think:

Image quality is on par with a canon 17-40 when it's stopped down, but wide open the edges are too soft for infinity focus type photos, can be ok for video though. I originally got it to put together a cheap 5d classic kit (it's possibly one of the cheapest wide lenses currently around).

The upscaling was done at the end, timeline was set to 3208x2160 resolution, so the scaling happened during final render.

Quote from: Danne on October 29, 2017, 06:57:02 PM
Those files looks really great. Like coming from acr. Is it ffmpeg prores422?
Thanks, it is ffmpeg prores422 I believe, don't 101% remember which settings I had.
Though exported clips lacked some of the deeper red/purple tones I saw while editing, will have to investigate that issue next.

Quote from: Danne on October 29, 2017, 06:57:02 PM
I totally can relate to getting back into "creativity" :). Just hard sometimes. I bet Mlv app makes it easier though.
That was why I even started it :)

Rob Curd

Lovely colours! Some really rich and vivid scenes.

I'm interested in buying more vintage lenses however I love taking photos too.

Do you think they are practical for both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilia3101

Thanks Rob!

Quote from: Rob Curd on November 05, 2017, 10:26:26 PM
I'm interested in buying more vintage lenses however I love taking photos too.

Do you think they are practical for both?

Certainly they are, I originally began using them for photography. Most are as sharp as a modern lens(maybe not a sigma art) when stopped down to f5.6+, and very often come with the bonus of incredible bokeh, such as the Helios 44.
Most of my photography is done with old lenses too, I have a small flickr album (press L when viewing to hide the notes someone left on my pictures)

They're only a problem if you can't bear to manual focus ;)

Kharak

The 19-35, is it all plastic or is that the difference between the brand names?

I found a used Cosina in my neighbourhood photoshop, but I squeeled when i touched it. Shaky, clickity clack plastic, maybe that one was in extra bad condition, but seemed like very bad quality, how is the Takumar? I really like that wide shot distortion.

And what Jupiter model/version is the 85? There are so many mounts available, lots of them M42. Can you recommend an easily convertable or adaptable mount.

Rob Curd

Quote from: Ilia3101 on November 06, 2017, 09:29:14 AM
Most of my photography is done with old lenses too, I have a small flickr album (press L when viewing to hide the notes someone left on my pictures)

They're only a problem if you can't bear to manual focus ;)

Cool :) will check them out and give it a spin!

Nice Flickr by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilia3101

@Kharak
My 19-35 is a Cosina too, it is built pretty cheap, maybe not as bad as you make it sound, the focus ring is the only part that bad on my opinion, it's really flimsy. They're pretty much all built the same, but I think there is a different model of 19-35 made by Tokina with good build quality and similar optics.
Sorry if it got confusing and seemed like I said my 19-35 was a Takumar.

My Jupiter is the silver M39 one, there is three quite common mounts for the Jupiter 9: L39 - leica, not DSLR suitable, M39 - same as L39, but flange distance of m42, all you need is a 39-42 screw on adapter ring to get it on a cheap common m42 adapter, and the more modern M42 versions, some of which were designed optically worse than the older m39 ones. I would say the M39 version is the least risky. Sometimes you will see silver ones already adapted to M42, which is also a good option as it sound save you from screwing around with tiny adapter rings.

Kharak

Thank you.

The cosina i was holding must have been in a bad shape. It was as described "clickity clack" shaking it. But either way, if i found one in good shape it feels too light for my preference, not that i want heavy, but i prefer metal housings that can take a punch. I shoot a lot in less than ideal locations.

Its hard to find a nice wide angle. I have the tokina 16-28 2.8,but I only find it useful at sweetspots, like @18 mm f11+, which makes very much not an allrounder.

And its very dark, i think I'd rate it at around T 3.5-4

It also has a crazy rainbow flare that at sometimes is awesome and other times destructive.