5D Mark III Short - ML Raw - DNG files edited and graded in Premiere CC

Started by mbiondo25, September 25, 2017, 06:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbiondo25

I made this three minute short film to learn the new MLV file system but it turned into a really personal piece for me. Hope you enjoy it.

If you have any workflow questions I'll happily answer them.

Mike

The_bald_guy

Great story, really. Most of the emotions resides in non verbal usually. It's a good exemple.

viniciusone

It's quite cinematic! I like the way you colored and that grain on top has a pretty analog feel.

Did you use any log on this one?

Ali Oliya

lovely! very cinematic feel! mind sharing the workflow? color grading process?

wasim89

Francis Frenkel

Very nice.
Emotionnal.

The great French director Jean Luc Godard said :
_" photography is reality, cinema is reality 24 times per second".

This is the case in your short clip.
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

mbiondo25

Quote from: The_bald_guy on September 25, 2017, 09:26:04 PM
Great story, really. Most of the emotions resides in non verbal usually. It's a good exemple.

Thank you!

mbiondo25

Quote from: viniciusone on September 26, 2017, 08:29:56 AM
It's quite cinematic! I like the way you colored and that grain on top has a pretty analog feel.

Did you use any log on this one?

I shot in technicolor cinestyle. Honestly I have been using that since the beginning of raw on the 5D so I'm not sure if it's the best or not. I haven't kept up. If you know of something better let me know. And thanks for the compliment!

mbiondo25

Quote from: Ali Oliya on September 26, 2017, 11:00:27 AM
lovely! very cinematic feel! mind sharing the workflow? color grading process?

Thanks Oliya!

Here is my workflow. I don't know if it's the "correct" one but it seemed to work here.

I mounted the mlv files using MLVFS. Then I copied the dng files onto my external hard drive. I edited those files natively in Premiere CC. It was a little slow but my machine is a few years old so I'm sure it would work better on a newer one. I didn't edit from the mounted MLVFS because the media kept going missing in between editing sessions. The color process again was pretty simple. I used Colorista 3 and Magic Bullet Film on adjustment layers in Premiere. I wanted to try and stay in premiere the whole time on this one instead of jumping back and forth to resolve.

mbiondo25

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on September 26, 2017, 11:18:24 AM
Very nice.
Emotionnal.

The great French director Jean Luc Godard said :
_" photography is reality, cinema is reality 24 times per second".

This is the case in your short clip.

Thank you Francis! Very kind of you to say.

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hi!

I just wanted to say, regarding using the cinestyle profile, I found out that when shooting raw with magic lantern it doesn't really matter with profile you are using because it will not affect the data you will work with.

Cinestyle only gets applied to the footage if shooting h264. :)

mbiondo25

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on September 27, 2017, 05:30:11 AM
Hi!

I just wanted to say, regarding using the cinestyle profile, I found out that when shooting raw with magic lantern it doesn't really matter with profile you are using because it will not affect the data you will work with.

Cinestyle only gets applied to the footage if shooting h264. :)

Thanks for the response! Yea I noticed that too with literally every other project I've shot except this one. For some reason this time when the clips were imported directly into premiere they were definitely flat. Again, I'm not the most technical person so I could be missing something.

whysodifficult

I started to watch it as a senseless video, and ended watching as a film.

I can't remember any short film that was worth watching and i wasn't disappointed, including awarded ones. You should get an award for the shortest, cheapest, simplest short film, with no professional actor, that is touching and atmospheric. For the perfect amount of emotional effect per unit of time. Any other short film i've come across with was too lengthy with less amount of effect or didn't have it at all. Anyway, this is the shortest that i've seen.

Just have read the description. You shouldn't have bothered, it's pretty clear.

Love the twilight, her emotions, the window, crowd behind the screen and how you added piano only later. You are so good in this, hope to see your next movie.

What is your camera/lens/grading/resolution?

Thanks for inspiring me.