Please let me know.

Started by slash123, October 15, 2017, 11:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slash123

Hi, I need your advice.
I have a 6D canon I mainly use to take pictures, and occasionally to shoot some Raw videos.
So I would like to keep the 6d just for the photos and take another body just for the videos.
With the 6D I can record continuously at 10bit 24fps at 1824 × 730.

I would have found a 50D. this body at what resolution can record continuously?
Do you have other suggestions?
Obviously inexpensive, otherwise I would be heading to BMPCC.

Thank you, I hope you can help me.

IDA_ML

You may want to look at an used 7D.  It can record 14-bit RAW video and sound continuously at 1728x972 resolution.  Video quality is superb!  A VAF filter for this model is also available, in case you need to remove moire and aliasing in some specific shots (with lots of staright lines, patterns, etc.).  At 5x magnification, it can record 10-bit RAW video at even higher resolutions (2496x1200) for quite long (1 min. 38s with sound) and more than 2 min. in the RAW_rec mode at 2520x1200 resolution without sound. 

I have been using this build, (see post 1314):

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.1300

In my opinion, 7D is second best for RAW video after 5DMkIII.  It is a solidly built and very reliable machine with excellent battery life - superb for serious video work.

If you prefer to shoot short clips (15 s. or less at the 1972x972 resolution with sound at 10 bit), the 100D is your best choice.  The body weighs 407 g with the battery included.   This is my personal choice for travel and vacation.

Levas

Here's a chart with ML capabalities  for different cams.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cgnRivbUv7nA9PUlCLmLdir3gXdIN3pqzCNAAybepc/edit#gid=5

In my opinion the 50D is way worse then the 6d you're using now.
50D is crop sensor with max video resolution of 1584 pixels wide, so not nearly 1920 pixels for Full HD.
And no audio options.

At the moment, with your 6d, you have continuously raw recording in 10bit, 24fps at 1824 × 730 (1: 2.50 aspect ratio).
Only things that could be better are
-higher resolution
-higher Bit rate (12 or 14 bit)
-aspect ratio (instead of 1:2.50 -> 16:9)

For the above you need higher writing speeds, so a camera with compact flash.
In that case, the choice is limited to 5d2, 5d3 or 7d.  (50d and 7d don't have higher resolutions in full sensor mode then the 6d)

Maybe go for a 5d2 or 5d3 both for video and stills and sell the 6d ?

Or be happy with the 6d and master the limitations for raw video.
For shots shorter then 30 seconds, you could use 12 bit.
Or for 16:9 aspect ratio use 1824 x 972 in 10 bit 24fps and have about 15 to 20 seconds recording time.

dfort

With a 50D you'll never be able to record with audio.

Things might be getting a lot better with the 6D if we can figure out how to get it working on the crop_rec_4k branch. Check out the 6D topic for the latest news.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.new#new

slash123

Thanks to all the advice.
I found the body of a 7D at 320 euros with 36000 shots.

I would like to know the 7D can record at 10 bits.
I would like to avoid using magic lantern on the 6D, I would just like to use it for photos only.
What card do you recommend for 7D?

dfort

Quote from: slash123 on October 16, 2017, 08:46:56 PM
I would like to know the 7D can record at 10 bits.

No. People have been trying on the 5D2 which is a similar Digic 4 camera but nothing yet.

There's a lot of discussion about what is the best CF card, just search the forum. Best advice is get a fast one and run a benchmark test on it to check the write speed on your camera.

IDA_ML

12/10-bit RAW works only in the 5x magnification mode.  In the normal mode you have to use 14-bit since 12 and 10 bit modes do not work.  Every 2-nd frame is broken.

You need fast CF cards for the 7D.  I use the 1066x from SanDisk and Lexar.  They work great.  Benchmark test indicates 90 MB/s write speed.

The only thing I miss on the 7D is the "Movie crop mode".  I am not sure why it is missing on the 7D but it would be a wonderful feature to have.  It multiplies the focal length of your lens by a factor of 3 on a push of a button.  If you use the EOS 35/F2 IS you can easily swith from 35 to 105mm using movie crop mode.

dfort

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 16, 2017, 11:27:51 PM
The only thing I miss on the 7D is the "Movie crop mode".

Don't you like zoom mode on the 7D? It isn't exactly the same as Movie crop mode but pretty close. Note that the 5D3 doesn't have Movie crop mode either.

IDA_ML

Oh, I do not only like it, Dfort, I love it.  In fact, I use it all the time - much more often than the normal mode.  The only reason I miss the Movie crop mode for is framing during recording.  In the 5x magnification mode I see only a fraction of the frame on the screen.  In the Movie crop mode on my 100D, what I see on the screen is what I get, so framing works perfectly.

Another quite annoying thing that happens when using the 5x magnification mode is screen freezing after recording starts.  Yes, I know, there is a temporary fix to that (see post 1314 from the thread in my post 1), however, going through several menues back and forth every time when I switch from the normal to the 5x mode makes it hard to work efficiently and I miss lots of important moments.  For shooting static scenes (no camera movement) on the tripod, this freezing is not a problem, but if you shoot with a gimbal or steadycam, it is quite limiting.  Do you think, screen freezing on the 7D could be fixed?

slash123

just got a 7D used with 36000 shots!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

IDA_ML

Congratulations Slash123,

I hope, it will make you happy and you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

dfort

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 17, 2017, 11:41:23 AM
...In the Movie crop mode on my 100D, what I see on the screen is what I get, so framing works perfectly.

There is a new Framing option in mlv_lite in the crop_rec_4k branch that you can try with your 100D. It should work in zoom mode too. Not perfect but a lot better for framing up the shot. The 7D needs a lot of work to get it working on the crop_rec_4k branch--mostly to get raw slurp going in order to gain all of the 10-bit 12-bit options.

internals.h
/** this method bypasses Canon's lv_save_raw and slurps the raw data directly from connection #0 */
#define CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_SLURP

12georgiadis

I dream of a crop_rec_4k on 7D. It's a cheap camera, fast cf card, has a good battery. But it needs lossless 14bits, movie crop and simultaneous h264 recording for preview & offline/online edit. I can only give test & feed-back for that but I'm constantly filming with it right now

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

slash123

Hi , my "new " 7D have a problem.  There is a purple spot on each photo(raw). I change the lenses but the dots still there in the same position on each photo. I don't think it's a bad pixel, what do you think?.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Levas

Sounds like you need to do a hot/bad pixel remapping on your camera.
Google for it:
hot pixel remapping canon dslr

I believe it is done by taking the lens off and putting the body cap on your camera and then select 'clean now' in the sensor cleaning menu.