Dot Tune and Canon 7D Mark I

Started by OliverX669, October 01, 2017, 09:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OliverX669

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Forum but not to Magic Lantern I use it all the time, its a fabulous package. One feature I've never been able to use is Dot Tune no matter how I set up all I ever get is the error message "Press Info and try again".

Does Dot Tune work on the Canon 7D or does it not?

I've read the FAQ's and searched and searched and cannot find anything like a definitive answer but if there is one can someone point me to it please?

Regards,

Oliver

nikfreak

Normally that message would appear if you have some kind of power saving feature kicking in or your display is idle aka turned off by default. You can switch it to be "always-on" normally by cycling (pressing several times) the INFO button. Consider also checking the manual if you have questions regarding that but still I would like to know if you get this solved, so your feedback is welcome.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

No troubles running Dot Tune AFMA on 7D here.

If nikfreak's tip doesn't work you have to tell us more about your conditions:
- Build(s) used?
- Lens(es) used?

OliverX669

Hello nikfreak thank you for your reply.

The only camera options I have active that might be considered "power saving" options are"Review time" and "Auto power off" and I have tried many times with both these set to Off or to their maximum allowable amount, it makes no difference.

By "display" I assume you mean the LCD screen on the back of the camera and it never appears idle, I go through a whole range of options pressing the Info button in my normal use of the camera.

One thing I might have mentioned, when I activate Dot tune with the camera in Live view the "Camera settings" menu, the pale blue one with C1, C2, and C3 across the top, flashes on and off several times before the "Press Info and try again" error message appears among the text.

Do you think I should have posted my question in the camera specific section rather than the general one I would have thought many Canon 7D mk I users must have used Dot tune, or tried to use it, with their camera?

Once again thank you for your reply.

Regards,

Oliver

OliverX669

Hello Mr. Schulz thank you for your reply.

My 7D is running version firmware 2.0.3 with the latest daily version of Magic Lantern download and upgraded just 4 days ago. Lenses in use Canon 10-18 IS Stm, Canon 18-55 Sigma 18-35 f1.8, Tamron 24-70 VC f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4 L and Tamron 70-300.

I'm very happy to hear you run Dot tune successfully on the 7D clearly the fault lies with me and not Magic Lantern. I hope I'm not being a nuisance but may I ask you to set out your preparatory setting up steps for the test I'll happily follow them step by step its perhaps there I'm doing something wrong.

Regards,

Oliver

OliverX669

Hello nikfreak and Mr. Schultz,

Continuing my searching through Magic Lantern' archives I came across a post from a1ex dated 4th August 2014 concerning the same problem I'm having, his post:-

"Some users have disabled the Canon info screen (the one with shutter, aperture, ISO and so on), so ML can't reach it by pressing INFO. Make sure it's not that."

and that is exactly thats what it is!

Problem resolved, many thanks for helping.

Regards,

Oliver