3K Crop-compressed RAW (Alexa Emulation) - various lighting conditions

Started by wangtrirat, September 25, 2017, 03:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangtrirat

Hi! Firstly, I thanks all of you ML devs for making this happened. This is just testing to see how 3K can make such sharp picture which by the way is the longest high-resolution video you can get out from 5D MK lll.

5D Mark lll Compressed / Crop4K experimental build for 1.1.3. Processed with MLVFS.

The Color science which I used in this clip is based on Emulation to ARRI Alexa Log-C which I did when I have two side by side footage compared to Alexa Log-C. Graded on Davinci Resolve producing beautiful Alexa like color. Various saturation and lighting circumstance. from ISO 100 to 2000 in the video. It's held quite well.

The equipments I used in this clip.
- Canon 5D Mark lll Firmware 1.1.3
- Canon 24-70mm F2.8 Lenses
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 160MB/s CF Card

Lighting with Kino-Flo Select 30 LED light. Tuned to Aqua blue and practicals in the room.

http://vimeo.com/235245408

Here some frame grab from 5D Mark lll vs Alexa Mini on Prores4444XQ.

5D RAW feed through Log-C emulation then into ARRI Log-C to Rec.709 / Alexa mini Prores4444XQ with ARRI Log-C to Rec.709.

People have hard time to figure out which one is which.

Don't put Dynamic range into comparison. 5D just have such tightly packed fine color detail compare to Prores4444XQ. Though Alexa always win on DR and many aspects. This comparison just based totally on based grade on Rec.709. When such heavily look applied it may perform differently.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

viniciusone

Such a superb quality mate!!

Can you share exactly your workflow? I think everyone here would love to test that awesome Alexa emulation.

Thank's! Just keep doing this job.

D_Odell

Yes for a quite unscientific test the 5D3 holds up quite well. Would you do the same test comparing rolling shutter the Alexa is miles ahead. Since there is so much more than just color science.. Highlight roll off (not DR), roll off on the 5d3 is quite horrible. A7S is much better at this, Alexa of course much better..

But instead of comparing 3k camera to 40k cameras, your video looks nice!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

The_bald_guy

In the on camera live view, you get this slow fps refresh and bad moire draft for framing only right?

D_Odell

Quote from: The_bald_guy on September 25, 2017, 06:35:16 PM
In the on camera live view, you get this slow fps refresh and bad moire draft for framing only right?
You can't have live view and proper framing while doing crop rec other than 1080.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

ilia3101

Looks really good!
Pretty much perfect ;)

Quote from: D_Odell on September 25, 2017, 10:41:44 AM
Highlight roll off (not DR), roll off on the 5d3 is quite horrible. A7S is much better at this, Alexa of course much better..
I disagree, this mostly depends on the software used to process the RAW image and what kind of tone mapping it applies.
And Sony cameras have crap highlight roll off, unless you use S-Log.. or some really specific settings that cost $20 on the internet.

wangtrirat

Yes for a quite unscientific test the 5D3 holds up quite well. Would you do the same test comparing rolling shutter the Alexa is miles ahead. Since there is so much more than just color science.. Highlight roll off (not DR), roll off on the 5d3 is quite horrible. A7S is much better at this, Alexa of course much better..

Quote from: Ilia3101 on September 25, 2017, 07:22:31 PM
Looks really good!
Pretty much perfect ;)
I disagree, this mostly depends on the software used to process the RAW image and what kind of tone mapping it applies.
And Sony cameras have crap highlight roll off, unless you use S-Log.. or some really specific settings that cost $20 on the internet.
I both agree with you. There are some circumstances which the sensor will fall apart.

But it's still pretty to me.

DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

wangtrirat

Is this is highlight roll-off you said?

http://vimeo.com/235533941
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

Kharak

That French toned video is super nice!

Please tell more about that style of filming and the music. It fits very well together!
once you go raw you never go back

wangtrirat

Quote from: Kharak on September 27, 2017, 02:36:25 AM
That French toned video is super nice!

Please tell more about that style of filming and the music. It fits very well together!

I used Canon 24-70mm F2.8. At 3K It's roughly about 4/3 size sensor. Just centered framing and put random free youtube song. It surprisingly matched. 
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

jemabaris

Could you please let us know about the exact settings you make with the color space transform plugin? Thanks!