How do I get diagnostic values in a windows program?

Started by LassDev, November 28, 2017, 03:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LassDev

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place on this forum, but I hope this reaches the right persons:
I've got a 7D camera in an underwater housing which operates for longer periods of time streaming live images to a windows laptop.
Since the camera heats up fairly quickly when in live view, I want to be able to:

• Get the cmos temperature property (PROP_EFIC_TEMP at 0x80030013)
  • Disable liveview when temperature exceeds certain value.

I've figured out which address is used by magic lantern to display said temperature on the camera screen, but I'm stuck on the part where I need to get this property into my computer program. I guess the Eos SDK provides a bit of information, but apparently the address ML uses isn't part of the available get/set props.

I hope the community can help me out.

Best regards,

Michiel

dmilligan

Why do you need to read the temp on the computer? It would be simple to write a Lua script that did this entirely on camera.

Why do you need to do this at all? Canon firmware itself will automatically shutoff the camera when the temperature reaches dangerous levels. Do you not trust the people who actually designed the Camera that they selected an appropriate temperature at which to shutoff the camera to prevent damage?