Canon 1000d / Rebel XS

Started by coutts, August 14, 2012, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coutts

Any developers have this camera? With the 5dc and 40d being worked on, it should be easy to port the 1000d to ML as well now. The 1000d has live view, so it should be possible to capture video with it. 1000d shares the same low quality screen as the 5dc so I bet all of the vram stuff is the same.

Initial porting is already done by me. Look at this project here to get started, it boots the main firmware and sets the bootflag. Look at the 5dc entry.S / init.c to get an idea of where to start for the 1000d and ML.

https://bitbucket.org/coutts/1000d_dev

The entry.S of the 5dc can be seen here. As you can see it's very similar to the 1000d one I already wrote above:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/bbaee3c6d8d0/platform/5DC.111/entry.S

Only thing that will need fixed up is the call to where it sets up one of the main heaps. We need to shrink the heap and make room for ML to be copied there, and then link to this spot. It is not safe to link to 0x800000 from what everybody says (though I don't yet understand entirely why).

I have not worked on it in a while (no longer have access to a 1000d), but it is all set for someone to take over. Maybe someone has a 1000d to send to me?

ilguercio

Video mode with the 1000D?
Isn't it a Digic III model?
Digic III shouldn't be capable of encoding videos, right?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

coutts

Quote from: ilguercio on August 14, 2012, 07:29:13 PM
Video mode with the 1000D?
Isn't it a Digic III model?
Digic III shouldn't be capable of encoding videos, right?
no, but we should be able to dump the live view buffer ;)

ilguercio

Quote from: coutts on August 14, 2012, 08:35:10 PM
no, but we should be able to dump the live view buffer ;)
As for 40D then.
That will result in HUGE videoclips at less than 15 fps, right?
Like that third party application that dumped the frames from LV and saving them as avi.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

jplxpto

Coutts,
I started thinking about making the 40D port when I saw your port of 1000D

coutts

Quote from: ilguercio on August 14, 2012, 08:46:02 PM
As for 40D then.
That will result in HUGE videoclips at less than 15 fps, right?
Like that third party application that dumped the frames from LV and saving them as avi.
I think live view updates at 30fps so it will probably be that. We need to speak to Alex about this, I only know it is possible. He knows how to implement it ;)

Thiagones

Quote from: coutts on August 15, 2012, 02:45:27 PM
I think live view updates at 30fps so it will probably be that. We need to speak to Alex about this, I only know it is possible. He knows how to implement it ;)

Coutts, could you please teach me how to use your SW?
How do I install and use it?
I have a Canon XS (AKA 1000D).

ksraghavendra

I am also ready to help with any testing as I too own a 1000D! Have been waiting for ages for some hack for my 1000D :D Hope I can help in some way

nanomad

There's no develper for the 1000d yet as coutts doesn't have one anymore.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

r00t4rd3d

Seems like Coutts was very close to getting this ported over. Its not just going to die now is it? Anyone willing to take over?

jplxpto

Quote from: r00t4rd3d on November 24, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
Seems like Coutts was very close to getting this ported over. Its not just going to die now is it? Anyone willing to take over?

To continue this work we have to own a camera.
If you have one of these cameras and have technical expertise, can make a contribution continuing the work begun by Coutts.

andrecbrito

I own a 1000D and i'm a developer, mainly on C# but I'll give it a try... what work has already been done?
The features I would like to see on 1000D are the focus trap, time laps("Intervalometer ")

coutts

Quote from: andrecbrito on January 03, 2013, 10:18:15 AM
I own a 1000D and i'm a developer, mainly on C# but I'll give it a try... what work has already been done?
The features I would like to see on 1000D are the focus trap, time laps("Intervalometer ")
those seem very possible! To get started, look here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Developing_info

The magic lantern repo can be found here:
www.bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern

Follow the 5dc and 40d ports, as they are the only VxWorks cameras supported. I did some testing with the 1000d here, you can use it for the bootcode found in entry.s. The code here will boot the firmware and start a user task so it's a great starting point.
www.bitbucket.org/coutts/1000d_dev/src

jxlpto and myself are probably the best to talk to for porting VxWorks, so feel free to pm us with any questions.

good luck :D

laser314

I'm really hoping to get some help with my canon 1000d.  I bought a 1000d used and it came in Factory Service Mode.
When I connect it to a usb port it comes up as "DCP CONNECT" and the drivers won't recognize it because its not in PTP mode.
The bottom item under the first menu list is "Factory  Menu"
Anyone know how to get the 1000d out of Factory Service Mode?  Can Magic Lantern software be of any help here?
Lewis

TJRomero

Quote from: andrecbrito on January 03, 2013, 10:18:15 AM

How is the development unfolding? If someone can walk me through testing it, I am happy to try on my 1000D. I am mostly using it for HDR bracketing. Is this functional at all for this model yet?

pkim1230

Can I download the 'repository' zip file and install it on my 1000d?
I just want intervalometer feature.

davideddu

Hello,
I heard of Magic Lantern and I decided to install it on my camera, but I have a Canon EOS 1000D, so I found this thread.

I am willing to help with the development of this port. I'm an expert python programmer but I'm a beginner with C. I have already written working programs in C (mostly Arduino sketches) but I still consider myself a beginner.
That being said, I'm going to read how the boot process works on vxWorks and Magic Lantern.
I would mostly use it to record time lapse without using a computer, I'm not looking for too many features.

Is there anyone that is willing to chat with me on IRC about this? My timezone is GMT+1.

dmaugis

Hi, I own a D1000, what is the current status of magic lantern for  this Camera ?
If the port is not done yet, is there some help I could provide ?
[ I am a professional embedded C developer, with+20 years experience]
What's blocking ?

nikfreak

Nothing's blocking it. Taking a look at the successor - the 1100D - I would say: grab yourself some updated and more capable cam. "Embedded C developer" sounds cool. Help is always welcome.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

1000D is indeed a bit old and doesn't work with DRYOS (introduced about 2007) but VxWorks. Call it a lonely place even in not-so-crowded devland. If you insist working on it you may want to take a look over there: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.msg157850#msg157850 where user gph reanimated 5Dc (VxWorks, too) development. Coutts seems to be out of town for some months. You may try to contact him anyway sending a PM.

Turkheim

Any news on this. I'm not developer but I own a 1000d, so if I can be of any help testing something just tell me. I'm mostly interested in the bracketing stuff

shmadul

So ive been trying to compile the build from this forum here
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17991.0
and have had no luck, i keep getting bunch of errors, if its possible
for someone who already has the tools to compile it and could compile
and re-upload it for me that would be amazing. I just cant seem to do
it my self.......

Thanks,
Mason Dulemba

Levas

Unfortunately there is not much to compile, the files which were made by Coutts are only capable of letting the blue led on the camera burn.
So these files are only a very small beginning for porting the 1000d and no where near a working magic lantern build.

I'm not sure what the next step would be, probably a firmware dump with the use of the blue led?
After that, all sorts of addresses need to be found in the rom dump for use in the magic lantern software.

shmadul

Thank You for the reply, I'm a bit confused because there were some that said they were able to get it running
IE:"
User:SysCall
Re: 1000d - help needed with compiling
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
Thanks guys, I can cofirm I'm also able to compile and start it on my Canon 1000D.
"
Source: 2nd To Last Comment
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17991.0

Walter Schulz

No contradiction.
You read something you want to read. He simply wrote "get it running" and "it" is not ML with the functions you get with cams running ML nightly build.