Combining RAW and non-Raw footage in one video in premiere pro

Started by Inflammablefish, September 11, 2017, 08:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inflammablefish

Very very new here, and I'm still trying to figure everything out, so if this has been discussed before please direct me to the proper thread.  Here's my problem:

I want to combine shots that I took using different clips that are of different resolutions and frame rates.   For example, I have a 60fps Raw clip that I filmed at 1440x368 resolution with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, that I slowed down to 29.97fps.  I want to combine that with non-raw footage that I took at 1080 at 29.97 fps.  I am using AfterEffects to render the .dng using the Quicktime and H.264 settings.    In Premiere Pro I open a new 1080p sequence and import both clips.  Even though I click on scale to frame size with the raw clip it still doesn't match the frame size of the already 1080 clip, and I can't get the heights to match up.   Any suggestions?    I'm using 600D/T3i.

cmccullum

What's the timeline aspect ratio? Premier will scale the smaller clips to match the timeline, but I believe it will keep the clips aspect ratio the same. So if your clip is 2.35:1 and you use "scale to frame size"in a 16:9 timeline the clip won't fill the frame.

I'm assuming the clips are filling the frame horizontally after scale to fit is clicked, correct?

Inflammablefish

So I actually figured it out after playing around some more and found another video online.  The main problem was the horizontal width was fine but the vertical wouldn't fit - but I managed to manually expand it in AE before exporting to premiere.