Love the features but....

Started by Shirazcab, August 14, 2012, 12:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirazcab

I love the new features and better accessibility for the old ones but I might revert to 2.2 for the moment. My battery seems to get very hot in a short time. I was alarmed to see that the CMOS temperature had gone up from 26 to 36 degrees in a very, very short time and when I took out the battery it was HOT. The Exp SIM blinks constantly in live view (no flashing red light though). That didn't happen with 2.2. I could shoot for hours without the battery getting hot.
Also whatever mode I'm ML displays the message that XXX feature is disabled in current shooting mode. It doesn't seem to matter if in live view, M, P, Av TV or whatever.

I really want to love ML 2.3 as it's so user friendly once you relocate favourite features but I think I'm going to play safe and revert to the older version for a while for the sake of my precious camera (550D).

Lupo

Hi Shirazcab,

Did you try with a fresh install instead of updating from v2.2?
EOS T2i & EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 50 f/1,8; Cosina 28-210 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5,6; Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3,5-4,5; Samyang 14 f/2,8; Tamron SP 24-70 f/2,8; Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II

Shirazcab

Thanks for your reply Lupo, yes it was a fresh install. I didn't update the Canon firmware version again (I did do that with 2.2, but assuming the same version).

ilguercio

"Seems" to get very hot?
It's summer :)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Shirazcab

LOL. Where I live it's a comfortable 21 degrees  :)

ilguercio

Magic Lantern doesn't get your camera hotter by an appreciable margin.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

Malcolm Debono

I've been shooting in avg. temperatures of around 35 degrees Celsius. That, coupled with near continuous filming during a wedding ceremony (which usually lasts around an hour), and some direct sunlight (usually at the end of the ceremony when the bride & groom are going out to the reception) make my 5D really hot! However, I never had any overheating issues. I just replace the battery and memory card when possible since those tend to get really hot.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Michael Zöller

Shirazcab, would you be so kind as to do a careful comparison between the old magic lantern that worked fine for you and the new one? There really should not be any kind of difference. If there is, we need more information to fix potential problems. Thanks!
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Shirazcab

I'll do a bit of testing this week. Got a day off on Thursday so I will take my camera with me. Although I didn't mention this on my original post I've discovered that magic zoom is behaving very well in 2.3. It flickers constantly whether using green bars, split screen or SS zero cross. I'm not giving up yet, but will probably revert to 2.2 for a while as the features I used the most worked almost flawlessly.

ilguercio

Quote from: Shirazcab on August 14, 2012, 09:09:33 PM
I'll do a bit of testing this week. Got a day off on Thursday so I will take my camera with me. Although I didn't mention this on my original post I've discovered that magic zoom is behaving very well in 2.3. It flickers constantly whether using green bars, split screen or SS zero cross. I'm not giving up yet, but will probably revert to 2.2 for a while as the features I used the most worked almost flawlessly.
I doubt anything works worse than Dec. release, otherwise it would not be called 2.3 instead of 2.2.
There were a couple of things that were abandoned (video mode to a-dep) because they were potentially dangerous but apart from that everything is better and we have more options now.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

bart

I would like to see a test as well. If there is a difference and we can repeat it. It's valuable information and needs to be analysed.

a1ex

QuoteAlso whatever mode I'm ML displays the message that XXX feature is disabled in current shooting mode.

No offence, but I bet you didn't follow the install guide.

Shirazcab

I followed the install guide to the letter A1ex. Have to agree with comments on several other posts - not finding 2.3 the best version. Did another fresh install tonight. No improvement. Still getting hot fairly quickly. No blinking red light, but still getting ExpSim blinking most of the time in live view. Listenpreis is also reporting some of the same phenomena as I am experiencing (and there are others). Lots of little niggles rather than any one big thing but serious enough for me to be concerned enough to revert to 2.2 (which worked perfectly).

Still having problems with Magic Zoom on 2.3 as well as the battery getting very hot. Also random text from various ML screens popping up randomly. Otherwise things seem to work but really only  tried photo modes since that's  what I shoot. I did try the cartoon video mode - like that a lot.

Back to 2.2 it is for me.

nanomad

Can take a picture of the "messages" that show up? (Even with a phone if it's readable)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Shirazcab

Looking at some of the other posts about malfunctions many seem to be about the 550d. Coincidence or...?

nanomad

Well, the 550D has less CPU power than the 600D i guess. It probably needs more testing. It's strange that no one mentioned those bugs during the betas...
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Shirazcab

I can try to capture some rogue text

nanomad

Great
Once we identify the offending module we can bisect the changes from the december release and hopefully quickly identify the bug

Shirazcab

I hadn't downloaded 2.3 in the beta testing period. Only got it on Monday. Guess some others did the same. I liked 2.2 - wasn't in any rush to upgrade. Hoped others would find these these teething problems. In the same way I would't buy a newly released camera.

a1ex

You didn't follow every single step.

Be careful what you enable, as there are a few options with side effects (like blocking the buttons, or making LiveView less responsive). Read the help before enabling.

Overheating and increased power draw were proved to be an urban legend: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1573.0

CPU power is the same in all DIGIC 4 cameras.

ExpSim message is normal behavior of Canon firmware.

Shirazcab

I haven't noticed any increased power draw but the battery gets hot to the touch after a few minnutes but I do not have a flashing red light on the camera. Not so with 2.2 the battery remains at a constant temperature. Gone through the installation guide again but still can't see I've missed anything.

In 2.2. ExpSim displays but it doesn't constantly flicker as with 2.3

In 2.3 Magic Zoom does not always display and when it does it flickers continually when the shutter button is half pressed. I reverted to 2.2 and this does not happen. Also when testing 2.3 this afternoon I got red bars at one point with magic zoom, not green bars. I couldn't reproduce this after switching the camera off and on again and not sure I want to try and reproduce it.

Everything else seems to behave okay apart from odd things appearing on the screen periodically (which others have also reported) though I still haven't got the hang of navigating the menu quickly but that comes with use.

2.2 was pretty damn perfect though (certainly with the functions I used) so staying with it. Mind you, I came to it several months in when the bugs had been dealt with. I don't think I'm cut out to be a tester  :-\

a1ex

In 2.2 (550D), ML was more aggressive in killing the bottom bar, but other people did not like it, so I've enabled the bottom bar when pressing the shutter halfway (just like in 60D, where I couldn't disable it completely). The ExpSim blink should be related, but it's a function in Canon firmware (try without ML).

I don't have the 550D with me right now, but I've tried Magic Zoom on 5D2 and it behaves very well. In 2.3, ML graphics are only displayed when Canon graphics are hidden - and this is mentioned in the install guide and in ML warning help texts.

What other things do you see on the screen? It's a bit more verbose, but those should only tell you what's going on (like - hey, you are recording without sound).

IndyP

Just felt the need to say, "have hope" I have a 550D which has the upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 and everything I have tried is working perfectly, including the Magic Zoom. The solution to your problem may be much simpler than you think.

Shirazcab

....Okay, so  a bit more testing and I think I've found out what's causing the problem, but not the solution.

Magic zoom that I've been rattling on about. still flickers after the umpteenth fresh install but (and this is the breakthrough) if I keep trying it for several minutes then the red bars top and bottom of the zoom box appear. Sometimes the camera has focused okay and sometimes it hasn't focused because I've been too close to the subject. I can understand the focus point being red becuase it can't focus, but not when it appears to have focused okay but............... then the red light light starts to flicker, not all the time but slowly and regularly. It only happens after magic zoom has been active for a while. It does not flicker at any other time other than for about 1 second switching the camera on or off, which is normal. And that is when the battery gets hot - in magic zoom after it's been on for a few minutes. If I don't use magic zoom I don't get a hot battery. I didn't realise this until the penny dropped tonight. Everytime I've tested the camera I've tried to get magic zoom so this is when the battery must start getting hot. If I disable magic zoom the red light stops its flickering and the camera starts behaving itself again. There is a post on the bugs page from a guy who has posted a photo of magic zoom misbehaving and he also has complained of the battery getting hot. Moral: don't use magic zoom but it's bugging me. Still at least I know what not to do now to stop getting a hot battery. Still going back to 2.2 though for now. I think it's safer and I don't want to find I get a dud battery in case there is a slow battery drain happening, although I don't think that's happening.

Hope this makes sense - am writing it in a hurry as just been told we are going to the supermarket.