Color Issue with H.264 export.

Started by wasim89, August 18, 2017, 01:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasim89

Hey guys, I shot a raw video, converted MLV to Dng and used them it to edit and grade in davinci Resolve, then I exported to prores 4444 final output. I compressed the video for youtube using handbrake but the result breaks my heart. It ends up being desaturated and high contrast, nothing like how it is in resolve but it looks good when I import the compressed h264 video into resolve. I'm also adding screenshots.

image hosting sites free

Im using a Macbook pro retina for my work right now.  I'd really appreciate if someone can help me out with this, please let know what i'm doing wrong.

Kharak

Video levels? Data levels perhaps? You need to be a bit more specific about your render settings and so on.
once you go raw you never go back

wasim89

Hi Kharak,  the data levels in render settings is set to auto, the data level in project settings is set in video. 

bpv5P

What color space are you using on Resolve? Handbrake will probably use rec.709. See if you changed the gamma settings, also.
Have you checked the prores archive to see if it's already with color grading? It might be a bug in Resolve too.

wasim89

Quote from: bpv5P on August 18, 2017, 02:51:04 PM
What color space are you using on Resolve? Handbrake will probably use rec.709. See if you changed the gamma settings, also.
Have you checked the prores archive to see if it's already with color grading? It might be a bug in Resolve too.

Hi bpv5P, the color space in resolve is set to rec 709 and gamma 2.4.  In the master project settings, the color science is set to davinci YRGB.

Just now, I looked up the info of the compressed file by right clicking it, and theres a small preview on the bottom, the colors are good in that preview, the colors are mucked up only when I play it in VLC

bpv5P

Quote from: wasim89 on August 18, 2017, 03:02:41 PM
only when I play it in VLC

Have you tried another player? Test: https://mpv.io
If nothing works, try other conversor, so you can be sure it's handbreak breaking your file...
Alternativelly, use a codec other than prores just this time, and use handbreak after. If it's the same result, handbreak is the issue. If it's normal, them your prores did something wrong.

wasim89

Quote from: bpv5P on August 18, 2017, 06:21:09 PM
Have you tried another player? Test: https://mpv.io
If nothing works, try other conversor, so you can be sure it's handbreak breaking your file...
Alternativelly, use a codec other than prores just this time, and use handbreak after. If it's the same result, handbreak is the issue. If it's normal, them your prores did something wrong.

Hi bpv5P, Thank you so much for trying to help, I've found that VLC is the culprit!   I did many compression tests using handbrake and compressor, but the colors were always mucked in VLC. I decided to try uploading it to youtube and everything was good. Now i've uploaded it to Vimeo and things are fine! :) :D

bpv5P