50D raw

Started by Hfuy, August 12, 2017, 01:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hfuy

Hi folks

I've been playing around with ML on my new-to-me 50D.

Generally everything seems OK and I've been able to record both raw and H.264 video. I bought a cheap Komputerbay 32GB compactflash card and it benchmarks at around 100MB/second in a USB3 reader, so I guess it's fast enough. Haven't been dropping frames, anyway.

Two things have come up that I'd like to ask about. I have looked around the forum and the net in general and found bits and pieces of information on these, but it's sometimes hard to find complete information, and things seem to change fairly quickly so I thought I'd ask here.

First, when I record raw video using the 5x zoom option in Live View, I can achieve a 1920x1080 image, but the live view image doesn't show the full area that's being recorded. It seems more cropped than the actual recording. Is there any way around this?

Also, I read some information about altering the H.264 recording frame rate. I'm in the UK and I'd like to be able to record both 24 and 25fps if possible. I understand it is possible, but I couldn't figure out how.

Thanks for any info.

-HF

Hfuy

Further to earlier:

Playing around a bit more with the crop mode and some experimental Windows debayering software, the 1920x1080 pictures look really good. If there's anything we can do to solve the viewfinding problem, that'd be really useful.

HF

favvomannen

when i press the 5x zoom i dont get 1080p as an option.
how do you press after pressing 5x zoom ( to get 1080p)?

Hfuy

Procedure to record 1920x1080 (for about 20 seconds, anyway.)

Switch the camera on, loading Magic Lantern. I'm using "Nightly.2017Aug01.50D109"
Enter Live View
Hit the "zoom in" button. The picture will go low-res, black and white, and low frame rate.
Hit the trashcan button to enter the ML menu.
Navigate to "Movie" and "RAW Video (MLV)."
Hit "Func" button to enter the menu.
Open the "Resolution" item and select 1920x1080.
Hit the trashcan button to return to live view.
Hit "Set" to start recording.

Be aware, this isn't very usable. It drops frames after about 18-20 seconds, which is understandable.

What isn't understandable is that the viewfinding goes very wrong - the low res, jerky preview image is replaced by a smoother, still black and white one, but it doesn't now show the entire frame that will be recorded. It's thus basically impossible to use.

You're also shooting using a very small area of the sensor - about 9x5mm, or roughly the size of a 2/3" broadcast camera.

P