Questions before installing ML

Started by derekc, August 13, 2012, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derekc

I'm new to this, and these questions may have been asked a thousand times!!

I'm using a Canon EOS 5D Mk II.

Is it essential to remove a battery pack.  I'm only asking in case there's any problem running ML day to day with a battery pack fitted.  I can't see any obvious connection, but picked it up on the install instructions.

Likewise, is it essential to clear all settings?  I know it says recommended, but are there any problems if this step is skipped.  I know that on some models you can save all settings to file and restore, but not the MK II.  I know that I could assign them to a C button.

Although I've read all the documentation, I'm still not clear what would happen if I decided to uninstall ML altogether.  Is the documentation saying that it's not possible to put the camera back exactly as it was in every respect before ML was installed?

Thanks for your help.

Derekc
Canon 5D MII, 24-105 IS L, 100 F2.8 macro, 70-300 IS

Francis

I think you should read the install instructions again. It sounds like you are selectively remembering portions of it out of context.

I'm not sure what you mean by is it essential to remove the battery pack. If you encounter a locked-up or frozen camera, removing the battery is a safe way to turn off the camera. You may then replace it and turn the camera back on as normal.

While you might be able to get away with not clearing all settings and custom functions, the chance for problems does exist if you do not. Clearing all settings and custom functions would also reset the C configuration, so that would not work. I don't think any of the models you can save your Canon settings to a file and restore it. I believe you are thinking of the Magic Lantern configuration and settings which are saved to a file and read off the memory card each time the camera is turned on and ML is launched.

If you decide to uninstall ML, simply format the card you installed it on, removing ML in the process. That is it. If you mean restore the custom settings and functions you had set up prior to clearing them by 'put it back the way is was' then, no. But if you clear the settings, install ML, and then reconfigure all your favorite settings, you do not have to clear those to uninstall ML.

derekc

Thanks for reply.

Sorry!!  I got it wrong.  I meant battery grip!!  That's what it says in Step 1. Preparing your camera.

Incidentally, the Canon 1D Mark IV lets you save all CFn settings to a file, http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2010/04/26/canon-eos-1d-mark-iv-custom-function-settings/, which is really useful!!

Michael Zöller

If you deactivate autoboot, formart your card and resert config to default doubt canon support could detect that you used magic lantern, but they won't do that anyway :) I don't know about saving/restoring the camera settings. But by now I'm used to configure my resetted 5D2 in about 4 minutes.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Francis

The reason for removing the battery grip is probably to make the camera exactly the same as the conditions which the developers designed the install process around. When using a battery grip, the camera recognizes that and probably changes some value in its settings and registers.

Just like resetting all the defaults and setting mode to M, we want to know that the camera is in it's most basic state before adding the boot flag in the install process.

People frequently ask questions about the the potential dangers of installing ML and then immediately ask if it is OK to skip some part of the instructions. If you are really concerned (as I was when I installed for the first time) follow the directions step-by-step. If you aren't then do whatever you want but understand that this may result in complications and problems.

derekc

Datadogie

I and I believe many others have loaded ML with the battery grip on the T2i/550d with no problems. I would assume but don't take my word for it, that it will also work with the 5d.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

P.vigano

Your instructions:
"Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card"
Included .fir of every camera and .pdf  ??
Thanks.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: P.vigano on August 17, 2012, 07:32:11 PM
Your instructions:
"Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card"
Included .fir of every camera and .pdf  ??
Thanks.

Yes, you can keep all the files.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!