MLV Lossless compression post solution for MAC

Started by Wayne H, August 05, 2017, 01:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne H

Hi guy's

So i've been experimenting with the lossless jpeg compression crop mode for a while, and have been trying to find a simple solution to convert MLV lossless files so i can edit straight in FinalCut. (don't like Da Vinci, can't get MLV dump to work, and Footage app doesn't have batch export)

My solution is to use MLVFS (Massive thanks to whoever updated the app to support Lossless MLVS) to generate the dng's and then import them into a app called Cliphouse from Pomfort.

Cliphouse accepts the dngs generated from MLVFS and has basic colour correction tools, exposure, tint, contrast, colour temp, sharpening etc all the usual stuff, it also has in and out points for trimming your clips and it does have playback, although it is kinda slow, best of all it has batch export and the debayering as far as i can tell is good. Exports to prores 4444

From my tests (Late 2016 MacBook Pro) a 10 second clip with a resolution of (3320 x 1320) exports to prores 4444 in around 1min to 1min 30seconds in the fastest setting, and in terms of quality i can't see any differance between the fastest setting (lowest quality) and the slowest setting (best quality) in export.

Best thing to do is import your dngs - mark your in and out points, colour correct, batch export to prores using the soft gpu option, and grab a coffee or let it do it's thing over night. works great, makes life so much easier.

Hope this helps anyone wishing to convert Lossless MLV files and edit in FCPX the fastest possible way.

Ilia & Masc are doing a great job in building a new MLV mac app, but is still in it's infancy, so looking forward to see how that app progresses, and probably in time will be the best long term solution, Martin hering is releasing his colour grading app soon, so fingers crossed that will work well with MLVFS or the footage app,

PLEASE NOTE, ClipHouse has now been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase, but if you search the interwebs it's not too hard to find. ;)

Danne

If you want cdng files Switch works for mac. Makes use of Bouncyball mlv_dump_on_steroid version and ml-dng code(dmilligan) and of course g3gg0 and a1ex mlv_dump foundation structure.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/switch
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg146822#msg146822

Wayne H

Hi Danne, yeh i've tried the switch app too, and for whatever reason i couldn't get that to work either,

My goal is not to get CDNG files but to get MLV Lossless compression files transcoded to Prores 4444 as quick and as painless as possible so i can work in FCPX. Cliphouse with MLVFS thus far seems to work best for me.

Having in and out points with batch export and basic colour correction tools is a big deal for me.

Thanks for the links, will have a read up.

Danne

Yeah, tell me about it. Mlv app seems very promising. When it ends up batch transcoding it will be awesome.
Won't dng to prores processing run much faster if exported to physical dng's?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on August 05, 2017, 02:35:30 AM
...Won't dng to prores processing run much faster if exported to physical dng's?

+1

Switch annihilates MLVFS by lightyears. Especially with Bouncyball's work from mlv_dump_on_steroid version within Switch and can batch process out into ProRes4444 or better yet XQ via AE_template w ease (because Switch is multithreaded & its 4x faster than directly from AE solo) which can be extremely intuitive especially for overnight renderings.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109