RAW with very bad quality

Started by davilucho, July 29, 2017, 12:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davilucho

Hi all
I have a big problem and im asking for help. My raw videos looks very bad, they dont have a good quality and i dont know why.
You will see in the links below how the image has a bad grain/noise and its not sharp at all (focus was done perfectly). This happens outdoors and indoors.
https://youtu.be/oyqb29Cpv5U    This video was shoot with 3.5 f 1/50  ISO 500 and 24mm

https://youtu.be/tMVbfaELaec   this second video was shoot with  f23  1/50s   ISO100 and 24 mm

These are the settings i used for shoots:
Canon 5d Mark III
crop mode 3.5 1:1
resolution 3072x1308
2:35:1 aspect ratio
14-bit-lossless
build:magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Jun19.5D3123
Komputerbay 64GB 1066x
canon 24-70 2.8f
LONg exp noise reduction off
hight iso speed nr off
highlight tone priority off

Please help, i will aprecciate so much. I cant work with magic lantern if i get this quality.
Thanks for your help

Walter Schulz

Without access to unprocessed footage and detailed description of your postprocessing workflow there will be no discussion. Include essential information (which Canon movie mode was used, ...), too.
And f/23? You are sure about that? I would prefer "sweet spot" f/8 for such tests.

davilucho

I used mlv_dump.osx to get the dng files. Then imported dng files to  after effects. There is no color correction its just what you see in the video. The dngs already looks bad even without make any color grading

davilucho

Shoot in manual mode and using standard picture style

Levas

Watching the two clips on a desktop screen and I don't see any grain/noise  ??? Could be the youtube compression hiding the noise...
Maybe you can share one DNG of both clips ?

Sharpness looks very normal to me, for an unedited clip.
That said, lenses are not at their sharpest with the aperture/diaphragm wide open or fully closed.
For sharpness it's best to stick around f8/f11

davilucho

Ok I did it again this is what i have. Same settings as before. canon 5d Mark III
crop mode 3.5 1:1
resolution 3072x1308
2:35:1 aspect ratio
14-bit-lossless
build:magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Jun19.5D3123
Komputerbay 64GB 1066x
canon 24-70 2.8f
LONg exp noise reduction off
hight iso speed nr off
highlight tone priority off

I get the dng using mlv_dump.osx.

https://youtu.be/4ttop-UNv4Y   settings of this video:  f8 1/50s  ISO1000  24mm

https://youtu.be/nP-zXkJLYAE   settings of this video:  f11  1/50s  ISO100  24mm

There is no color correction or similar in the videos. Any comments???
Am i the only one who is seeing grain and unsharp on footage???

eNnvi

The first clip is a little noisy it's true but not too much, i see moirè and shaky footage probably due to the stabilizer on when on a tripod,

in the second clip the sharpness is bad due to high diffration at f23, if you try the same shoot at f11 you get better results.

after that i think a lot has been lost in youtube compression (it's a sad story but true, youtube kills videos). Try a diffrent compression ad upload to a better straming service (for quality) as vimeo.

i think you fighting against the aliasing filter in 5d3

Levas

The DNG's look good, really sharp and detailed  8)
The staircase is maybe a little bit underexposed, which could explain a little noise, because it's mostly shadow area's.

If the final video looks soft/unsharp, that  could also be in your export settings in after effects, wrong export settings can kill fine detail.

Can you share your export settings ?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Levas on July 29, 2017, 08:02:17 PM
... If the final video looks soft/unsharp, that could also be in your export settings in after effects, wrong export settings can kill fine detail.

Can you share your export settings ?

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

davilucho

Video looks noisy for me even in the preview inside of after effects. Export settings in this case was
h265 mp4
match high bitrate, vbr 1 pass
main level profile 4.1
1440p