MLV files are limited to 4GB. And the sound stops

Started by aworkofmarc, July 30, 2017, 01:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aworkofmarc

Hello.

Im using a Komputer Bay 64gb card w/ my 5D3.

It it appears my videos are cut off at 4gb. It basically just stops reocrding w/o and indication. When I drag the file to MLVrawviewer OR using raw2sdng same thing. The movie STOPS recording at the same place everytime. And the sound drops off well before that!  I've tried different cards --same thing.

Making me nuts.  Any idea what's going on?

If you can't fix it with a hammer -- Ya got an electrical problem.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, unclear description.
- Does the record break off or do you have problems with replay/viewing records.
- Are you running H.264 or MLV/RAW?

Card using ExFAT file system?

aworkofmarc

Hi.

Using exfat. MLV. It just stops recording w/o giving any indicaiton of doing so.

Walter Schulz

Just for the fun of it: Togle "RAW video (MLV)" setting "Files > 4GiB (ExFAT)"

aworkofmarc

Toggled 4gib on. Took a video. And predictably it stopped with an error say something about "Is card really exFat?"  Toggled 4 gib off again took another video and it stops at the same place. File size it ALWAYs stops at is 4,193,737.  I also then changed the resolution from 1920 to 1280. And again.. it stopped at basically the 4gb point. The exact same thing also happens on my second Komputer Bay 64gb card as well as my high end Lexar 1066x card 128gb.

dmilligan

4193737 / 1024 = 4096 KB => 4096 KB / 1024 = 4 MB

aworkofmarc

Sorry... There must be more numbers but my computer shows the below --but as you see when hover over the file it states 3.99gb.  Which is where it always stops:

Also.. just to make sure it wasn't something with the older 1.2.3 build I was using I downloaded the latest as of last night's build. Formatted the card and then installed that --took a video. Same thing. So. Could it be something with how this is interacting with my specific camera? how do I troubleshoot THAT?

Walter Schulz

1. You are saying recording stops after 4 GB.
2. Screen snapshot shows second file *.M00

*.M00 (+*M01, M02, ...) will be created if "Files > 4 GiB" is turned OFF.
The only explanation is: Your card does *not* host ExFAT file system but FAT32.
-> After turning setting ON ML must generate an error because writing beyond 4 GiB on FAT32 is just not possible.

So, please, format your card using ExFAT (has to be done using cardreader). You have to reinstall ML to make card bootable again. And don't format card in cam after that or you will set back to FAT32 again.

aworkofmarc

Cardreader?

I 've used two methods to format the cards. One with EOScard utility. And one using the computer. BOTH are set to exFAT. See pictures

aworkofmarc

Unless I don't have the right card reader I HAVE been formatting it in a card reader!

Isn't THAT what you call this? 

g3gg0

this card reader is fine, have the same and no issues whatsoever.
iirc i also use komputerbay 64 and 128 GiB cards with it
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

aworkofmarc

Well.. still at square 1 then. I've tried absolutely everything and nothing is working! It must be the camera? But how can that be?

Walter Schulz

You have a workaround: Set 4 GiB option to OFF and proceed with 4 GB chunks.

And before we go into debugging this: Insert card into cardreader, try to copy a file bigger 4 GiByte and tell us what happens.

aworkofmarc

A 4.6gb file transferred perfect to both the 64gb (Komputer Bay) and 128 gb (Lexar) cards.

It's weird too that the sound always cuts off at exactly the same time too about 3/4 through the movie.

I will have a friend bring his 5D3 over today or tomorrow and we'll put ML on his camera too --see if the same thing happens.

Stay tuned! And thanks.

aschille84

Do you have card spanning on? Then your sound might be on the sd card as an .m00 file.

DeafEyeJedi

Btw @aworkofmarc have you tried resetting ML to defaults and ensure that you enabled 'Files > 4GiB (exFAT)' to on within RAW video tab under ML Movie menu yet afterwards?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109