Field monitor for photography?

Started by Oculart, July 19, 2017, 03:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oculart

I do photography, and recently bought a 85 1.2 manual lens (not a fan of manual focus, but it is a matter of budget), and pulling focus on my 5Dmkii is quite a task. ML is great, but still limited by the screen size, so I decided to buy a field monitor in hopes it would be easier to focus on things, without having to look at that tiny screen. ML and the monitor work quite nicely. Everything is decent...Except one thing

QuotePROBLEM:

Every time I release the shutter button, the HDMI signal gets cut off, the mirror goes down and up again, and the HDMI signal comes back. This will take about 5 seconds. I am not even pressing the "play" button. I am not reviewing the pictures, I just want the camera to mantain the HDMI signal so I can have uninterrupted shooting. I understand that playback mode is at a higher res, and that's why the signal changes. But I don't understand why if this is not enabled, I still lose signal every time I take a picture. 

Is there a way to reduce the time it takes for the camera-monitor system to be ready for new a picture?

I know a lot of people talked about HDMI output, but mostly everyone is talking about it from a video perspective. I was hoping the monitor would help me, but if it takes 5 seconds for me to be able to shoot again, it limits me a lot.

I appreciate anyone who is able to contribute to this!

a1ex

Best guess: it probably can be solved by preventing the display from being turned off.

You can start the investigation by using the startup-log build to find out what happens when the monitor is turned off; you may post the logs here.

Oculart

Hi a1ex, and thanks for the quick reply.

I apologize, I am not so savvy with mods and custom firmwares. I tried following the instructions, but there isn't any log except the one from when I first installed ML. 
start the camera;
you have 20 seconds to perform some action (e.g. take a picture, open Canon menu, or whatever else you wish to investigate);
once the LED stops blinking, you've got a log file on your card.

I'm guessing you talk about the canon's display. I would say you are right, forcing the camera to keep the display on, which means it'd keep the HDMI signal on. Is that what you mean?

a1ex

Have you used the build linked on that page? (it won't work with the regular nightly)

Oculart

Sorry, I didn't realize I was supposed to install the new one!

Steps I followed just now:

-Installed ML.
-Camera on, full auto.
-Pressed LV button
-Took Photo
-ML saved the log file.
-Camera off

Log:
https://we.tl/BdpkiiW6zR

Thanks!

Oculart

Quote from: a1ex on July 20, 2017, 07:15:58 AM
Have you used the build linked on that page? (it won't work with the regular nightly)

a1ex, unfortunately I don't read coding, would you be able to point me in the direction where I should be looking?

Thank you!