pink sun?

Started by johannsebastianbach, March 31, 2017, 02:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

Hello  :)

I was shooting outside on a bright day and caught the sun for a second. The DNGs are giving me pink in the overexposed areas... I've searched around here but couldn't find any solution better than tracking. Any solutions?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/17zcwi0gadqw2su/M25-1824MLV_1_2017-03-25_0001_C0000_002123.dng?dl=0

using one of the march versions of magiclantern-Nightly.5D3113.zip - tried many workflows and mlv->dng converters, the pink dot stays.

Teamsleepkid

try lowering the highlights in resolve?
EOS M

Danne

Could you upload a short sample of the mlv file?
mlv_dump -f 5 -o Output.MLV Input.MLV

ilia3101

I always have this on 5d mark ii, just avoid bringing down the highlights too much or just mask it out.

ShineWong

i have this problem too...any one can help?

johannsebastianbach

Sorry it took so long!
Here is the shortened MLV with the pink sun:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr8i8ra0e1e9rex/PinkSun.MLV?dl=0
Recorded with magiclantern-Nightly.2017Mar30.5D3113

ItsMeLenny

You either need to clip highlights or reconstruct the highlights.
Because you have 2 green pixels for every 1 blue and 1 red the greens are exposed at (roughly) half brightness.
Meaning you're left with blue and red in the highlights beyond highlights resulting in the magenta.
You either need to clip the blue and the red channels are the highest green point,
or reconstruct the green into the blue and red points.

flostro

Is there any way to avoid this with a camera setting?
This is the only issue I have with ML RAW from time to time.

ItsMeLenny

No there's not. One comes across the same problem with standard canon CR2s. You've probably never noticed because whatever program you use probably corrects it for you. Its because you've dropped the whites so dark. Find the highest point of the green channel and either make it the whitest point or clip the red and blue channels to that green channel.

Apologies for any abruptness, I am on my phone.

D_Odell

Quote from: flostro on May 01, 2017, 04:17:35 PM
Is there any way to avoid this with a camera setting?
This is the only issue I have with ML RAW from time to time.

I got nice pink sunies one time I shoot hand held, very much movement and a nightmare to remove in post. One thing in ML if you lower digital ISO (ML) says it's goood for better highlight clippings. If you leave it at 0 there will be much less pink highlights...
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

a1ex

Quote from: D_Odell on May 10, 2017, 08:40:28 AM
One thing in ML if you lower digital ISO (ML) says it's good for better highlight clippings.

This only applies to H.264.

There were some very old experiments on 550D and 5D Mark II (documented on the old mailing list). However, rather than digging the old stuff, I recommend plotting the H.264 curves against the raw data, with both settings (e.g. with and without ML digital ISO). Tip: use an experimental build that enables H.264 proxy (e.g. the 4K branch), load a H.264 and a raw frame in your favorite math software, use a monochrome scene (e.g. gray gradient) and plot H.264 pixel values over raw ones.

One should also be able to use raw_diag.mo to plot these curves.

johannsebastianbach

Thanks a lot. Does this problem concern all 5D3s (anybody here who doesn't see pink? : ) or is it just mine and some others? I tested the photo RAW and the sun was clear, its only in RAW Video.

So there could not be a solution in ML? It really destroys any clip with the sun in Background  :(