MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icaab

Quote from: masc on April 28, 2023, 10:20:32 AM
@Icaab: what difference do you see? Processing engine is always the same, no matter which bitdepth was used. So the result should look the same. The lower the bitdepth, the more noise in dark tones. You like to decrease quality of the high bitdepth clips?
Okay, thanks for answering
I thought that such a small difference between bitness can differentiate the transmission of colors when the saturation of the video increases and the like

vastunghia

So I'm trying to experiment grading some clips in MLV App, and one thing I miss a lot is the ability to switch back and forth quickly between current and default receipt, possibly using some simple keyboard shortcut -- something like the "Cmd + D" or "Opt + D" shortcuts in DVR basically: my fingers keep reaching for the "D" key... but nothing happens. Very frustrating :P

Would it be possible to add this feature in the future?

Ps: an even more useful feature would be an Undo of course, just to review the impact of latest adjustments... but I guess this would be more complex to add.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

Do the following:
Ctrl+C (Copy), and then: Ctrl+Alt+R (Reset to default), Ctrl+V (Paste) as often you like.

Undo/Redo would mean a new start from scratch for the GUI.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vastunghia

Quote from: masc on May 03, 2023, 01:32:24 PM
Do the following:
Ctrl+C (Copy), and then: Ctrl+Alt+R (Reset to default), Ctrl+V (Paste) as often you like.

Yup, thanks, I figured that but I'm lazy :D compare this sequence

• Ctrl+C
  • close copy option dialog
  • Ctrl+Alt+R
  • Ctrl+V
with this:

• Ctrl+D
  • Ctrl+D
Sooo much easier to do without even taking your eyes off the screen.

But I understand that this is not so vital ;) Would love to find the time and try playing with the code, all features are there basically, would need just to bind keyboard shortcut to a simple chain of already-implemented methods I guess.

Quote from: masc on May 03, 2023, 01:32:24 PM
Undo/Redo would mean a new start from scratch for the GUI.

Yes, clear, this was my guess.

Thanks!
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Jonneh

I have a slight annoyance to report (essentially the only one in the otherwise very smooth MLV App experience), which is that error messages often pop up in an infinite loop, forcing me to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and kill the program and then wait for the hundreds of clips I typically have in the project to load again on restart.

This infinite loop most often happens when opening empty 2KB files sometimes generated by ML on my cameras (5D3 and 100D): I get an error message saying that the video file contains no frames, or something similar, and upon clicking OK, the message pops up again, I click OK, it pops up again, and so on ad infinitum. This is the most common initial cause for the error message in my case, but I've had the problem with different errors. I'm using v1.14.

Is there a workaround for this, beyond simply not importing the empty files in the first place (as I say, I've had the problem with other error causes too)?
5D3 / 100D

Haco

Hi everyone I have a problem, recently bought a Canon EOS M and installed magic lantern, shot some raw .mlv files.

Downloaded MLV App 1.14 static x64 build but, when I start MLVAPP.exe nothing happens, netiher GUI opens, nor any error shown. Nothing. Am I missing anything?

I am using Win10 x64 running on AMD phenomII X4 955 CPU and Asus GTX 1050Ti GPU.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you..

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

PaulHarwood856

Hello ML,

I'm fixing bad pixels using pixel maps on MLV App for 5.7K Canon 5D Mark III footage. However, I cannot figure out how to zoom really far to see individual pixels. I can only zoom 100%. I'm using Windows 10 on a PC. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Paul

Revision: I figured it out. I zoomed to 100% and then used the scroll on my mouse. Sorry for the hassle.

- Paul

Headless_Monkey

Quote from: vastunghia on May 03, 2023, 07:14:55 PM
Yup, thanks, I figured that but I'm lazy :D compare this sequence

• Ctrl+C
  • close copy option dialog
  • Ctrl+Alt+R
  • Ctrl+V
with this:

• Ctrl+D
  • Ctrl+D
Sooo much easier to do without even taking your eyes off the screen.

But I understand that this is not so vital ;) Would love to find the time and try playing with the code, all features are there basically, would need just to bind keyboard shortcut to a simple chain of already-implemented methods I guess.

Yes, clear, this was my guess.

Thanks!

Let me recommend the cheap hardware toy I could not live without - Contour Shuttle (or these days I upgraded to the ShuttlePRO v2). From the sound of things it might really suit your editing style. Starting at fifty bucks it is a fraction of the price of a consol.

Or for a software only tool, AutoHotkey. A weekend of hacking with macros and you can even have a second keyboard that does nothing but your dirty work when editing.

Cheers!

Ps. The Black Magic shuttle does make me drool, but exceeds my hobby's price rules. I would buy more cheap a** glass if I had luxury money.
** Weird signature I know but: "All I really want for xmas, whole world, is thumbnail previews for MLV files in Windows Explorer windows. Just dreaming. I've got Terrorbytes of the junk and on a 4k laptop screen MLV App thumbnails are microscopic." **

ML700D

Quote from: masc on June 14, 2023, 08:34:46 AM
@Haco: check your antivirus and system/path privileges.

Hi masc how are you? :D
btw, I got this error when transcode dng file using folder transcode I don't know why.

EOS 700D

names_are_hard

masc

You get this, when MLVApp can't read the file. The reason might be a corrupt file, or folder/file names which parts of the backend can't access.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ML700D

Quote from: names_are_hard on June 29, 2023, 04:32:07 PM
Does it work if you remove the spaces from the filename?
if I just using transcode file is working without removing the space from the file name.
EOS 700D

ML700D

Quote from: masc on June 29, 2023, 04:40:22 PM
You get this, when MLVApp can't read the file. The reason might be a corrupt file, or folder/file names which parts of the backend can't access.
so how to fix it?
EOS 700D

masc

Try to choose an easy small name. If your file is corrupted, there is no fix (with MLVApp).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ML700D

Quote from: masc on June 29, 2023, 06:07:32 PM
Try to choose an easy small name. If your file is corrupted, there is no fix (with MLVApp).
but why when I choose single file transcode is fine? and failed when I chose transcode folder?
if I use davinci there is no corrupted file..
EOS 700D

names_are_hard

If you won't run the tests we ask, we can't help you.  We're trying to work out why it isn't working, so that it can be fixed.

ML700D

Quote from: names_are_hard on June 29, 2023, 07:51:58 PM
If you won't run the tests we ask, we can't help you.  We're trying to work out why it isn't working, so that it can be fixed.
sorry I forgot to mention.. I just tested your instruction and masc but still the same..
EOS 700D

names_are_hard

Great - please show the new error with the changed name.

Can you confirm the file exists at the same location and is readable?

ML700D

Quote from: names_are_hard on June 29, 2023, 10:47:21 PM
Great - please show the new error with the changed name.

sure..

without space

with simple name

Quote from: names_are_hard on June 29, 2023, 10:47:21 PM
Can you confirm the file exists at the same location and is readable?
do you mean the dng file? yes.. I trandscode to the same location as the dng files
EOS 700D

names_are_hard

masc

Quote from: names_are_hard on June 30, 2023, 04:29:59 PM
Thanks, maybe masc can repro the problem now.
Sorry... nope. I just can say the file is very probably corrupted or unreadable, otherwise you wouldn't get this message.

Edit: wait. What exactly do you try to do? Not just opening a MLV. Do you try to transcode DNG to MLV? This is done by raw2mlv application. MLVApp just wraps a GUI around this cmd application. Looks like you are on Windows: this is the worst OS for this, because command line is veeeery limited on windows. The longer file/path names of your DNG files, the earlier the Windows CMD limit is reached. And this limit comes very soon - was it just 8191 characters for the entire command (262144 on macOS)? You can try this also with your CMD manually.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

wwoolf

Hi everyone. I have a workflow question - how can I make sure my bit depth is correct? I record MLV raw video on EOS M at 10 bit color depth. I have a workflow I've settled with, using the Alexa LogC profile to a ProRes 422 export. How can I be sure that the export from MLVApp preserves the 10bpc color information?
EOS M, Olympus 50mm f1.4, Tamron 24mm f2.5

DarkTrapStudio

masc

@wwoolf: don't compare bitdepth of RAW with bitdepth of processed footage - that makes not much sense, because your tone values are completely changed from linear to log scale (plus much more math was done).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202