MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ML700D

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 06, 2023, 07:53:12 AM
Here are more MLV files you can use to check the effects on hair, fur, colors and textures.
Some of the dirty pixels trapped in the thin strands of hair can be reduced by playing with CA Correction and CA Desaturate, but not all.

Please Download ASAP, I will remove tomorrow as my drive is very full :)

http://bit.ly/3jvWL6c
to save space I think you just have to cut in out about few frames in mlvapp then export to mlv file again as a sample file..
but I don't know if it makes any different in quality.
EOS 700D

gabriielangel

Quote from: ML700D on February 06, 2023, 08:10:27 AM
to save space I think you just have to cut in out about few frames in mlvapp then export to mlv file again as a sample file..
but I don't know if it makes any different in quality.

I cut each file to 2 seconds like you said (MLV Fast Pass), to give enough time to see flicker and aliasing artifacts, if any. Those files are just huge by file transfer standards :)

Danne

All of the provided clips looks good when processed. If we get back to this clip:
M04-1236-BldFeb042023am.MLV it will give a subtle flicker. It´s 10bit though. Is it possible to record a similar clip at 14bit? Dual iso is strongest when 14bit. 10bit not so useful imo.

ML700D

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 06, 2023, 08:53:29 AM
I cut each file to 2 seconds like you said (MLV Fast Pass), to give enough time to see flicker and aliasing artifacts, if any. Those files are just huge by file transfer standards :)
I see..
I have downloaded your file I thought it's just one mlv clip 😅

for now I just having fun with xxx/800 and 1440p 1:1 preset from bilal's crop rec..
dual iso is great feature if there is no issue.

EOS 700D

Danne

Pushed a fix for eosm around dualiso and flicker. Should be fixed now.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 06, 2023, 09:13:05 AM
All of the provided clips looks good when processed. If we get back to this clip:
M04-1236-BldFeb042023am.MLV it will give a subtle flicker. It´s 10bit though. Is it possible to record a similar clip at 14bit? Dual iso is strongest when 14bit. 10bit not so useful imo.

That particular preset (5k ana flv) won't do 14bits. It defaults to 10, and can usually record 1minute+ at 12.
I can do another clip, but I have to wait until everyone is done downloading the others. I'm out of space.

Danne

iaburn

I've updated a branch that applies twice the focus pixel fix for dual ISO, the second one after the dual ISO processing, like a non-dual ISO video, and the results are much better on my tests. More obvious on binning modes due to larger stretched pixels, but less artifacts in all modes.
A comparison, better download and switch from one to another:

No focus pixels fix:

Normal fix, the current one:

Double fix:

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 06, 2023, 09:13:05 AM

Here is another Batch of clips, mostly 14bits like you requested: http://bit.ly/3X7hATq

Clips were all recorded with Histogram showing 0.5.

Pay particular attention to M06-1306. I included a MLVApp receipt which will emphasize the point of interest.

One has to be careful with exposure, as when in dual Iso mode,  False colors and Histogram are not spot on (Those register a lot more headroom than what is actually available). 14bits is more forgiving, but I often clipped the snow outside when monitoring with those. I got good recordings when maximizing at both the base and recovering ISO individually, in single ISO mode and then enabled dualISO.

Recorded with 2023Feb06 Build.

gabriielangel

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 07, 2023, 01:53:49 AM
Here is another Batch of clips, mostly 14bits like you requested: http://bit.ly/3X7hATq

Clips were all recorded with Histogram showing 0.5.

Pay particular attention to M06-1306. I included a MLVApp receipt which will emphasize the point of interest.

One has to be careful with exposure, as when in dual Iso mode,  False colors and Histogram are not spot on (Those register a lot more headroom than what is actually available). 14bits is more forgiving, but I often clipped the snow outside when monitoring with those. I got good recordings when maximizing at both the base and recovering ISO individually, in single ISO mode and then enabled dualISO.

If you look at the waveform monitor in MlvApp, you can sometimes see that the absolute level is below clipping, but the shape of the drawing (Flat Top) suggests otherwise.

Recorded with 2023Feb06 Build.

Danne

"Pay particular attention to M06-1306"
If you change fps to 20 fps, what do you expect to happen? Also height is altered?
My fix was about finetuning fps so your modification breaks the fix. It is very easy to see what happens by viewing the scanlines in dual iso output. In your example the lines are creeping around, if you look at the other clips output are showing calm, static lines.
If you intend to alter fps, at least find sweet spot and achieve static preview on your camera before recording.
In HD1080p dualiso won´t be flicker free as it runs native canon fps. Might fix this but dualiso with 3x3 looks like garbage mostly anyway.

Added 1736x2180 pixel map and uploaded an eosm build with the new resolution.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 07, 2023, 04:53:29 AM
"Pay particular attention to M06-1306"
If you change fps to 20 fps, what do you expect to happen? Also height is altered?
My fix was about finetuning fps so your modification breaks the fix. It is very easy to see what happens by viewing the scanlines in dual iso output. In your example the lines are creeping around, if you look at the other clips output are showing calm, static lines.
If you intend to alter fps, at least find sweet spot and achieve static preview on your camera before recording.
In HD1080p dualiso won´t be flicker free as it runs native canon fps. Might fix this but dualiso with 3x3 looks like garbage mostly anyway.

Added 1736x2180 pixel map and uploaded an eosm build with the new resolution.

Danne, maybe you should pay attention to your own stuff! Where did you get all that stuff you are talking about here? You asked me to send a similar clip at 14 bits, that's what I did!
Your preset defaults to 20 fps. Like I said, I used the build stock and only changed the ratio to 2.39:1...

Edit: I just double checked. All the 1736x2180 clips recorded in that batch recorded at the same  20.005 fps rate, and the 2520x1054 clips all recorded at 23.976 fps. So it's not a glitch.

Danne

Ok, my bad. I thought your clip was from 5k anamorphic frtp and ratio set to off.

That particular preset I missed to fine tune.
In general I will focus mainly on the top presets in the tap display list. Bottom ones, not so much, used too little.
You can easily spot if output looks wrong now I guess.

ML700D

Quote from: iaburn on February 06, 2023, 07:58:06 PM
I've updated a branch that applies twice the focus pixel fix for dual ISO, the second one after the dual ISO processing, like a non-dual ISO video, and the results are much better on my tests. More obvious on binning modes due to larger stretched pixels, but less artifacts in all modes.
A comparison, better download and switch from one to another:

No focus pixels fix:

Normal fix, the current one:

Double fix:

nice!
EOS 700D

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 07, 2023, 06:02:36 AM
That particular preset I missed to fine tune.
In general I will focus mainly on the top presets in the tap display list. Bottom ones, not so much, used too little.
You can easily spot if output looks wrong now I guess.

Your 5k ANA Flv preset is quite useful. If you look at the Batch of files I sent yesterday (Dual_ISO_MLV-Hair-Fur-Glass.zip), it is the only preset where the fine strands of hair are completely stairstepping free.

Once you scale down to 2.8k or 2.5K, the gain in apparent resolution is substantial. When shooting a scene with deep DOF, it still shows details, like tree branches, where using 1080P would show a fuzzy mess. So I guess the 20fps limitation is ok when looking at the benefits. (And this may change, considering what Bilal is currently cooking... :) )

Danne

Meanwhile. It works with max res in flv and 1728x2180 already works with 24fps when 5k anamorphic ratio is turned OFF .
Flv preset could benefit from being recoded in X5 mode as it will work with higher framerates.
One could go on forever with magic lantern  8).

gabriielangel

I have a cam with a few bad pixels. Depending on the scene, enabling fix bad pixels may create some defects in the image.

Is there a way to put the cap on my camera, record (The bad pixels and hot pixels when using high ISO are then obvious), and then use the file in a way similar to darkframe subtraction (But to remove bad pixels instead)?

I tried averaging the recording and using dark frame subtraction, but it doesn't remove the pixels completely. It only fades those a little.

masc

You could create your own pixel map, which fixes the pixels you want to have fixed only. This map can be used for all your clips (in this camera setting) then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwd2DFGjMx0
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

iaburn

I've done a small change on my fork and it seems to help with flickering in some clips (not all)!
The problematic video from this post it's muuuch better now.
Before, this video was showing different issues when Alias Map or Fullres Blending were active, but now looks good when "horizontal stripes fix" is enabled (finally found a use for this fix  :D )

Did a windows build in case someone wants to try: https://mega.nz/file/A1tiTASK#OK46h1pPjzsJDILuHyoGQNbLWM6VVm0u7lUfm41CE1A

Edit: It seems to introduce horizontal lines where they were not present before... Using the "horizontal stripes fix" is an option but the result is not perfect, needs more work...

gabriielangel

gabriielangel

Quote from: iaburn on February 19, 2023, 11:21:28 PM
I've done a small change on my fork and it seems to help with flickering in some clips (not all)!
Before, this video was showing different issues when Alias Map or Fullres Blending were active, but now looks good when "horizontal stripes fix" is enabled (finally found a use for this fix  :D )

Did a windows build in case someone wants to try: https://mega.nz/file/A1tiTASK#OK46h1pPjzsJDILuHyoGQNbLWM6VVm0u7lUfm41CE1A
Thanks. Will try that.

ML700D

Quote from: iaburn on February 19, 2023, 11:21:28 PM

Edit: It seems to introduce horizontal lines where they were not present before... Using the "horizontal stripes fix" is an option but the result is not perfect, needs more work...
nice..
dual iso flicker disappear but there is horizontal stripes flicker instead

EOS 700D

iaburn

Quote from: ML700D on February 20, 2023, 09:32:27 AM
nice..
dual iso flicker disappear but there is horizontal stripes flicker instead

True, I have to try more things... It's the problem when you don't know what you are doing, you can just experiment and see... XD

Mattia

I'm having a weird problem in MLVApp on some clips taken with my 5d3. The underexposed parts of the image are blue like if it was a false color view. Lifting the shadows solves the problem. In other apps, like MLV Producer, the problem doesn't show..

Danne

We need files and more info like print screens or similar. Very vague now.