MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

Hey guys , i just found this raw to dng converter so we can use raw dng files from a lot of different camera brands in MLVApp, its quite fast , no gui juts command line
https://github.com/dnglab/dnglab

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks masc,
It seems the problem is fixed with your compiled version, no longer crashes are happening with this test, I did three exporting tests, all of them didn't have crashes :D

Nice work, thanks @names_are_hard @masc!

I don't know why my compiled version was crashing (pretty sure I compiled with latest commit), I was using Qt 5.14.1 and MinGW 7.3.0 (compiled with Release and Debug options, both had crashes).

masc

Nice to hear it works for you. Whyever you get another result when compiling on your side. In past I tried many Qt versions starting from 5.6 to 5.15. There are sometimes some enoying GUI bugs, but crashes... not really. I think this must have another reason. Who knows ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

@theBilalFakhouri

Can you test those exports with this static build too?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: bouncyball on June 23, 2022, 09:52:03 AM
Can you test those exports with this static build too?

Sure, I ran this test:
The first two tests it crashed for some reason, then I made six tests and it didn't crash.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

names_are_hard

Made this PR for a tiny fix: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/pull/243

Are you interested in fixes around compiler warnings?  E.g., this one:

MainWindow.cpp: In member function 'void MainWindow::startExportPipe(QString)':
../../src/mlv/macros.h:84:41: warning: macro expands to multiple statements [-Wmultistatement-macros]
   84 | #define setMlvDontAlwaysUseAmaze(video) (video)->use_amaze = 0; (video)->current_cached_frame_active = 0
      |                                         ^
MainWindow.cpp:1788:54: note: in expansion of macro 'setMlvDontAlwaysUseAmaze'
1788 |         if( !ui->actionAlwaysUseAMaZE->isChecked() ) setMlvDontAlwaysUseAmaze( m_pMlvObject );
      |                                                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MainWindow.cpp:1788:9: note: some parts of macro expansion are not guarded by this 'if' clause
1788 |         if( !ui->actionAlwaysUseAMaZE->isChecked() ) setMlvDontAlwaysUseAmaze( m_pMlvObject );

The macro will expand to look like this:

if( !ui->actionAlwaysUseAMaZE->isChecked() )
{
    m_pMlvObject->use_amaze = 0;
}
m_pMlvObject->current_cached_frame_active = 0;

This feels like a bug to me?  Presumably you want both statements to execute only if the condition is met? I would recommend converting the macro into a function.  It looks like a function, and performs the job of a function.  Just make it be a function.

I don't know if you have some normal process for checking and fixing compiler warnings so I haven't spent any time on this - but there are quite a few compiler warnings that looks like bugs.

masc

Thank you for reviewing our code. It is funny all different compilers will bring different warnings. And if you fix the warning of one compiler, it might not work anymore with the other one.
But yes, you're right with the macro you found. I made a very small fix for that (some additional {}). The frame caching is deactivated since some years and probably won't be active ever again - latest computers are able to playback in realtime even without caching.
Your PR is merged. Thanks a lot!
I watched all the warnings I get on macOS x86_64 again and tried to solve some... some I already removed again, because on other platforms it stopped working at all. Haha. In past we played already a lot avoiding those warnings. For libraries I stopped changing the code, because you change it with any update of the lib again.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

names_are_hard

Yes, all compilers like to complain about different things!  And I agree it can be tricky to find fixes that make all of them happy.

I see you fixed the missing breaks in that big switch statement, that seemed a real problem :)

masc

No idea why this switch ever worked... But it did. My Info dialog always showed the correct infos.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

names_are_hard

Haha, yes, I was surprised by that one.  Maybe it was always called in the right order?  Then you'd set the later items wrong, but overwrite with correct values?

swinxx

Hello my Friends! So to use some old videos, shot with mlv, i tried to convert to CinemaDNG, then i used the Blackmagic Name Scheme. But when i try to import the files to Davinci, i dont get a video file (like years ago) but single frame imports. has davinci stopped cinemadng support? or is there a workaround, to import those sequences?
if they stopped the format, what is the best codec to export the mlv files to work with davinci..?

best wishes. ren

Update. strange, but it works now. best wishes.

bouncyball

Quote from: swinxx on June 27, 2022, 09:04:19 PM
if they stopped the format, what is the best codec to export the mlv files to work with davinci..?
Of course they did not drop the cinemadng support! :)

Also, If you wish, you can export the clip to prores or cineform with "Davinci Wide Gamut/Intermediate" profile and then import in resolve, works nicely. That color space added recently so you have to compile mlvapp from sources.

wyup

Hello, thanks for long MLV work!

I'm a newbie here, can I substitute ffmpeg.exe file from MLV 11.13 win64 zip (n4.4-5-ge3fb0f0c88 version from 2021) to most recent BtbN gpl version (~121MB) expecting full functionality?
EOS M, 15-45 IS STM, 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 200 MB/S

swinxx

i found a bunch of old RAW Magic Files on my old HDD. so i wonder if it would it be possible to add the ability to import raw magic files into mlv app?
that would be awesome.

best wishes. Ren

swinxx

Quote from: bouncyball on June 29, 2022, 06:35:37 PM
Also, If you wish, you can export the clip to prores or cineform with "Davinci Wide Gamut/Intermediate" profile and then import in resolve, works nicely. That color space added recently so you have to compile mlvapp from sources.

ah very interesting. thank you for that info. is there a tutorial how to compile the app on a m1 mac? i have no idea how this works..

best wishes.

2blackbar

Just compiled new version and theres VP9 export , Thanks !!!
I have a question, what should i change in the source so when i import folders with DNG files then i can mark 10 folders at once with shift or rect lasso ? Kinda how importing dng frames work( you can import multiple at once) but for folders.

ilia3101

Major improvement to saturated colour handling coming in next release 8)

(You can all thank @troy_s on twitter for the idea, so simpe yet effective!)

Will help other subjects too, like sunsets and flowers. It's still not perfect, but now far better than most solutions out there.

Walter Schulz

ilia3101

Would you like the original MLV, or just higher resolution?

Let me upload the MLV. Will be a few minutes.

Done. Here's the MLV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aGMz6JkatsWX9EGlValDahDheRcopj5E/view?usp=sharing

And here it is in higher resolution, plus you get to see the whole rainbow:

masc

Quote from: swinxx on June 30, 2022, 05:32:08 PM
ah very interesting. thank you for that info. is there a tutorial how to compile the app on a m1 mac? i have no idea how this works..
There is this: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App#qt-app-macos-apple-silicon-based
Native Apple-Silicon support is very difficult to compile.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: wyup on June 30, 2022, 05:27:19 PM
I'm a newbie here, can I substitute ffmpeg.exe file from MLV 11.13 win64 zip (n4.4-5-ge3fb0f0c88 version from 2021) to most recent BtbN gpl version (~121MB) expecting full functionality?
You can try to substitue with whatever version you like. But it is your task to test it then. There are so much features using ffmpeg...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: 2blackbar on June 30, 2022, 08:53:43 PM
I have a question, what should i change in the source so when i import folders with DNG files then i can mark 10 folders at once with shift or rect lasso ? Kinda how importing dng frames work( you can import multiple at once) but for folders.
You can just select one sequence at once.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Skinny

Quote from: ilia3101 on July 01, 2022, 06:56:03 PM
Major improvement to saturated colour handling coming in next release 8)

(You can all thank @troy_s on twitter for the idea, so simpe yet effective!)
wow, this looks great! I wonder how it will behave on skintones with saturated color lighting, because this problem exist even with standard cr2 files opened in photoshop sometimes..