MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takoyaki

Hi. Does anyone know the answer to this post?

Quote from: takoyaki on December 20, 2021, 02:31:50 PM
Hello. I have a question.

Why is the Linear Profile of the MLV App brighter than the output of dcraw or DaVinci Resolve?

MLV App's Linear looks brighter.

masc

@takoyaki: no idea what other apps do and I never compared this. I just can tell that MLVApp linear funtion does this for linear tonemap: output=input.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Hm... good question/answer. This means input already was brighter. So I guess the answer is in debayer part or right after debayer.

ML700D

masc,

avir ver. 3.0 has LANCIR 3.0.7 as part of the library and much faster he said here

EOS 700D

masc

"LANCIR offers up to three times faster image resizing in comparison to AVIR. The quality difference is, however, debatable. Note that while LANCIR can take 8- and 16-bit and float image buffers, its precision is limited to 8-bit resizing."

--> Yes, but it is just faster. We internally use 3x16bit color information, but this would finally limit the pipeline to 3x8bit, but consuming the time of the 16bit pipeline for all other algorithms. (256 colors of possible 65536 per channel as result)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ML700D

Quote from: masc on March 17, 2022, 09:08:30 AM
"LANCIR offers up to three times faster image resizing in comparison to AVIR. The quality difference is, however, debatable. Note that while LANCIR can take 8- and 16-bit and float image buffers, its precision is limited to 8-bit resizing."

--> Yes, but it is just faster. We internally use 3x16bit color information, but this would finally limit the pipeline to 3x8bit, but consuming the time of the 16bit pipeline for all other algorithms. (256 colors of possible 65536 per channel as result)

ooh I see..
EOS 700D

Skinny

Hi guys, I recently switched to a "new" (very old) computer and I can't run MLV App 1.13 on it for some reason. While 1.11 and 1.12 are working but only 32-bit versions (although I didn't check 1.11 x64).
But 1.13 just can not start, it doesn't show any error messages or anything, I can see it process in task manager for maybe a second, and then it just silently disappears.

I'm on fairly "fresh" installed windows so maybe I need to install something? like .NET or something else?
The config is (don't laugh!! :D) Intel Core 2 4400 2.0GHz so it's a dual core machine with 4gb of ram and ati radeon hd 4850 installed. Windows 10 x64 21H2 and by the way it runs ok, very smoothly. motherboard and cpu are from ~2007 so it's 15 years old :o but this is all I have for now..

masc

Strange. Never tried such an old CPU. Normally a fresh Windows 10 is okay. No additional library is needed.
I know it working on:
- MacBook and MacBook Pro 2010: Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz on macOS 10.9.5 and 10.13
- MacBook 2008: Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz on macOS 10.6.8, but using Windows 32bit version via Wine, without anything else installed
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Skinny

@masc I'm using slightly cut down win 10 version (some unnecessary things disabled like store and so on). I had doubts the full version will work on that hardware.. So there is a chance something is missing, but I don't know tbh, all other programs seems to run ok.
Is there an option to diagnose what exactly happening, why MLV App quits? because it's doing it absolutely silently I can't even google the error and maybe see what could be done.

p.s. I'm gonna google what software can diagnose potential problems with running exe's, maybe I'll find something

It seems like I have all the necessary dependencies, and they are the same for 1.12 version

ML700D

EOS 700D

masc

Visual C++ libs are not needed, because it is not really compatilbe with many standard C/C++ libraries - we use mingw+Qt. All needed libraries are included in the package. 1.12 and 1.13 also should have the same dependencies. Maybe 1.13 was compiled with a newer Qt, which often has different system requirements than older versions. If you find a system where it works: in menu->help->about Qt, you can see which Qt library was used to build the release.

For getting more information on Windows systems, I think you'll have to install the entire Qt framework and debug with this. macOS brings a very detailed crash report and tells exactly the reason... unfortunately Windows doesn't do this.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Skinny on March 20, 2022, 04:34:24 PM
Hi guys, I recently switched to a "new" (very old) computer and I can't run MLV App 1.13 on it for some reason. While 1.11 and 1.12 are working but only 32-bit versions (although I didn't check 1.11 x64).
But 1.13 just can not start, it doesn't show any error messages or anything, I can see it process in task manager for maybe a second, and then it just silently disappears.

I just tried MLVApp 1.13 32-bit on old laptop, Pentium T2330 CPU with 1 GB RAM on Windows 7 32-bit and yeah it crashes silently. MLVApp 1.12 works (it launches).

So I confirm the crash, I can't help with de-bugging. You may want to follow masc instructions . .

ML700D

Quote from: masc on March 21, 2022, 10:19:17 AM
Visual C++ libs are not needed, because it is not really compatilbe with many standard C/C++ libraries - we use mingw+Qt. All needed libraries are included in the package. 1.12 and 1.13 also should have the same dependencies. Maybe 1.13 was compiled with a newer Qt, which often has different system requirements than older versions. If you find a system where it works: in menu->help->about Qt, you can see which Qt library was used to build the release.

For getting more information on Windows systems, I think you'll have to install the entire Qt framework and debug with this. macOS brings a very detailed crash report and tells exactly the reason... unfortunately Windows doesn't do this.
I see..
thanks masc.
EOS 700D

Skinny

wow. so this is not only on my computer..

Two years ago I messaged ilia3101 and he mentioned.... I will just quote him (well, I hope it is ok to quote a line from PM)
QuoteI used to use MLV App on a thinkpad X61 (laptop from 2006), and I had to fix a couple of bugs that only happened on the old cpu
And I don't know, maybe it is something like this. unfortunately.
I tried to use some programs that can show some info on exe files, dependencies and stuff, but didn't find anything different from v1.12.

ML700D

masc,
just a bit suggestion, in MLVapp sidebar I think it's better to put profile tab and lut tab above processing tab
so we don't have to scrolling up and down when choosing different profile or enable creative adjustment and lut.
this is more convenient I think.
EOS 700D

ML700D

hi masc,
is there an easy way to compile mlvapp?
I couldn't compile using qt6 and got an error like no "make" or "qmake" something like that..

thanks.
EOS 700D

masc

Quote from: ML700D on March 22, 2022, 02:30:44 PM
just a bit suggestion, in MLVapp sidebar I think it's better to put profile tab and lut tab above processing tab
so we don't have to scrolling up and down when choosing different profile or enable creative adjustment and lut.
this is more convenient I think.
That will be different for each user. But things like a LUT or a profile normally can be adjusted once for an entire project. Then Ctrl+C, Ctrl+A & Ctrl+V. ;)

Quote from: ML700D on April 02, 2022, 02:49:05 PM
is there an easy way to compile mlvapp?
I couldn't compile using qt6 and got an error like no "make" or "qmake" something like that..
It is very easy to compile MLVApp (if not on Apple Silicon). You must install Qt5 (e.g. 5.15.2) - not Qt6. MLVApp is not compatible to Qt6 and probably will never be. For further instructions, see:
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App#compiling-collision

After Qt5 installation, on macOS the entire compile process looks like this (on other OS more or less the same appart from compiler name):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUry4Oc4wq8
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ML700D

EOS 700D

arrinkiiii

Hi MLV friends, long time...

I have some doubts about the the process with the MLV´s in MLV App. I search in the forum and ready a lot but didnt get out my doubts. Maybe some one can help me on this.

So, i recorded some footage in 10bits raw in my good and trust Canon 5D iii

1- I Use the MLV App, that is amazing, to output to ProRes 4444. Then wend i open in premiere i saw banding in the footage. If
         it's in 10 bits and in ProRes 4444 shouldn't see any kind of banding in the footage, right? What im doing wrong?

2- After this, I export the same footage in CinemaDNG Lossless, and the banding disappeared. Great, very happy. But... wend i import the CinemaDNG footage in Premiere the colores are one thing. Wend i import the CinemaDNG in after effects they are other thing.

I see in premiere the colores are a little bit more washed and looks like the image are not so sharp. In after effects the colores are more saturated and looks like the footage are more sharp. 

Any advice one this? Any help would be good on this.

Thanks for all of the Magic Lantern  :)

tupp

Quote from: arrinkiiii on April 19, 2022, 10:42:00 PM
So, i recorded some footage in 10bits raw in my good and trust Canon 5D iii
         1- I Use the MLV App, that is amazing, to output to ProRes 4444. Then wend i open in premiere i saw banding in the footage. If
         it's in 10 bits and in ProRes 4444 shouldn't see any kind of banding in the footage, right? What im doing wrong?
Banding occurs all the time in 10-bit footage, but it usually isn't perceptible.  Please post/link the banded 10-bit footage.

2- After this, I export the same footage in CinemaDNG Lossless, and the banding disappeared. Great, very happy. But... wend i import the CinemaDNG footage in Premiere the colores are one thing. Wend i import the CinemaDNG in after effects they are other thing.
        I see in premiere the colores are a little bit more washed and looks like the image are not so sharp. In after effects the colores are more saturated and looks like the footage are more sharp.
The difference in colors between Premiere and After Effects could be caused by a number of things, and they could probably be matched by changing settings in one or both of the programs.  The difference in sharpness could be sharpening and/or contrast settings.  The "washed" look means less contrast and, likely, less sharpness and less saturation. 

Perhaps After Effects is applying filtration/effects.

masc

10bit RAW is a complete different thing than 10bit ProRes. With 10bit RAW there are just a few tones in dark areas, so getting banding is very easy. Better use 12 or 14 bit RAW to avoid this.

Premiere has no real RAW engine - it just shows the DNG "somehow". While AfterEffects uses the Adobe ACR RAW engine. Use AE if you like Adobe colors with RAW footage!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

I have some doubts about the the process with the MLV´s in MLV App.
All your issues are not related to MLV App processing at all.

Two previous posters are right.

If you intend to work with DNGs use appropriate software with good debayer, e.g. after effects, resolve, maybe lightroom (very slow workflow), etc...

Do not use 10bit raw! It sucks in comparison to 14 or even 12 bit. 5d3 can easily handle realtime 14bits.

arrinkiiii

Hello my friends, thank you so much for the supporting. Now i can understand "everything", the meaning of life...

I just can say this, DAMN, i just recorded everything in 10bits raw. I thought that you didn't see a big difference between 10bits and 12/14 bits raw.

Indeed, ACR from Adobe is amazing for debayer CinemaDNG's that i pull off from MLV App. 

-Photo from 10bits raw, transcoded with MLV App to ProRes 4444. You can see the banding in the left side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/83kN7hHCecCmR9Ky5

-Photo from 10bits raw, transcoded with MLV App to CinemaDNG and open/import directed to Premiere. Don't show up banding but soft, not so sharp.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7T6ocdcChfHMTPEL9

-Photo from 10bits raw, transcoded with MLV App to CinemaDNG and open/import to After Effects and use ACR, very power raw engine. More crispy/sharp image.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BA8gBrDjEVK2xGWB9

The company Autokroma have a plugin to open CinemaDNG from BlackMagic cameras, i tested with CinemaDNG from MLV App but only show up the slider of white Balance and Exposure. I tested against Lumetri and notice no difference.

Sooo... Next time i will shot 14bits raw and then convert to ProRes 4444 in MLV App and hope everything will be better  : ) By the way, anyone knows the comparison of the raw from MLV and other cameras? In the past a few cameras have this option like Arri or Red, nowadays almost all cameras can record a flavor of raw. 

Thank you one more time for the help. That Magic Lantern Lives For Ever  8)

Skinny

could you post samples from the same clip? because on last two you have background in focus, while on first it is not..

Leszek Wysocki

Quote from: Danne on December 06, 2021, 11:12:30 AM
Recent notes when compiling on Monterey(I think it´s 12.1).
Finally managed to compile Mlv App on my arm64 M1 pro, 10 core machine. Starting out with a lot of help from @masc and his post where he published this link about getting qt 5 working with arm64 M1.

I am using the MLV App version for the arm64 M1 processors. On the basic macbook pro 16 m1, it is three times faster than the official version (the latest one is available on the website), unfortunately, after selecting the Apple ProRess 422 codec and avfoundation, the file is not created correctly (its size is zero). Perhaps this is an issue to tweak in the appropriate build, but I used this setting (Apple ProRess 422 and avfoundation) on the previous Intel Macbook 15 and didn't notice any performance improvement during compression so I don't know if the topic is worth paying attention to. I also noticed that on the same laptop with intel, the official version of MLV App works much faster under windows (bootcamp).
5D Mark III 1.2.3 + Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM
CF Kingston 128GB Canvas Focus
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2022May15