MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenhil

Quote from: masc on September 22, 2021, 08:28:47 PM
Start describing your system (OS+version, app version,...), all your settings (cam+App(receipt and export)), maybe upload the MLV file.
- Windows 10 Pro v20H2
- MLV App v1.13
- Canon 70D running ML v1.12 (https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/downloads/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2021Apr04.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_focus_stack_sduhs.zip)
- Zero receipt settings except ticking 'Enable FFmpeg vis.stab
- File export settings: H.264 (no mistake this time), ffmpeg MPEG-4 (*.mp4) Medium Quality, Debayer: Receipt configuration, Smooth aliasing Off, Export audio On, no other boxes ticked
- Source file at D:\RawVideo\, export to D:\, no special symbols whatsoever
- MLV App and ffmpeg.exe at C:\Program Files\MLV.App.v1.13.Win64.static\, likewise (anyways, exporting with vis.stab off works OK).

Source MLV file: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LwpCY0i3jhLp0A

masc

@elenhil: thank you. I tried exactly what you described. Result: I get the exported stabilized video file. Did you close the cmd window by accident? Or, do you forbid MLVApp to create files in the application folder? : ffmpeg creates a vector file when anaysing the footage and then uses this file to stabilize.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

elenhil

Quote from: masc on September 23, 2021, 06:34:17 PM
@elenhil: thank you. I tried exactly what you described. Result: I get the exported stabilized video file. Did you close the cmd window by accident? Or, do you forbid MLVApp to create files in the application folder? : ffmpeg creates a vector file when anaysing the footage and then uses this file to stabilize.
Brilliant! Access rights to app folder (more specifically, not running MLV App with admin privileges) was, indeed, the culprit! Thanks a ton!

masc

Have my new M1 for 48 hours now... result: MLVApp running natively on arm64! Speed is again a big jump from x86_64 on M1 via Rosetta. FullHD on 48fps runs in realtime! (with standard grading) ... I've never seen such framerate numbers in our tool...
Now we need a native ffmpeg... anyone has a static arm64 macos ffmpeg build?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Thank you Danne! Yeha... great! Works... and is indeed faster!

Now I just have big problems with Qt deployment: Just on my MacBook it runs really well (here and there some little crashes, but Qt5 on apple ARM64 is not officially supported), but when I try to include all needed libs into the app package, it stops working - MLVApp won't start anymore. :(

If someone else like to try what I did:
- install llvm@11 via brew as compiler (has Apple Silicon support)
- build Qt5 as described here: https://github.com/bobwolff68/fritzing-app/wiki/Building-Qt-5.15-for-Mac-M1#building-qt-515x-unreleasedopensource
- intall QtCreator via brew and setup llvm@11 as compiler and the self-build Qt5 as Qt engine
- modify .pro file with these lines:
mac{
    QMAKE_CC = /opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@11/bin/clang
    QMAKE_CXX = /opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@11/bin/clang++
    QMAKE_LINK = /opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@11/bin/clang++
    QMAKE_CFLAGS += -fopenmp -ftree-vectorize
    QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -fopenmp -std=c++11 -ftree-vectorize
    INCLUDEPATH += -I/opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@11/include
    LIBS += -L/opt/homebrew/opt/llvm@11/lib -lomp
    QMAKE_APPLE_DEVICE_ARCHS = arm64
}

- compile and have fun

Edit: I tried some cheating, and now the package is running (at least on my machine). If someone would like to betatest:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej6ufca61ijeeyf/MLV.App.v1.13.macOS.arm64.zip?dl=0
If it doesn't work... no idea why. If it does work: same.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

Wow, so there is a chance for android port ? Id buy extra phones just for rendering

masc

Android? Not more or less than before. This is about macOS on Apple Silicon. Android needs a very different UI.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: masc on September 24, 2021, 08:12:36 PM
Have my new M1 for 48 hours now... FullHD on 48fps runs in realtime! (with standard grading) ... I've never seen such framerate numbers in our tool...

Wow! What model do you have?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

masc

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on September 26, 2021, 05:17:02 PM
Wow! What model do you have?
I got the MBA 16GB, 8Core GPU, 1TB. Until now, I can absolutely recommend this machine. Speed is just wow - and battery life too.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Nice. I want a 16 inch version so I am waiting for this beast to happen ;).

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: masc on September 26, 2021, 07:10:50 PM
I got the MBA 16GB, 8Core GPU

Does 16GB is a must for video editing? Or 8Gb will do the job?
I was looking for the cheapest MBA M1
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

masc

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on September 27, 2021, 01:34:15 PM
Does 16GB is a must for video editing? Or 8Gb will do the job?
I was looking for the cheapest MBA M1
It is no must. It absolutely depends on your needs. My thought was: a full RAM leads to swap files on SSD. Write cycles on SSD are limited. SSD is not removable. Broken SSD = broken Mac.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

@masc Amazing to see! Has anyone ever achieved such high MLV App performance on computers other than the M1?

I suspect the M1 might have a huge advantage for MLV App over anything else out there, due to GPU and CPU sharing the same, extremely fast, memory (MLV App is usually slowed down by CPU->GPU uploads I believe).

masc

@Ilia: As long as MLVApp doesn't use the GPU, it can't be slowed down by CPU->GPU upload. Highest value I've seen before was ~23fps on a Intel quadcore processor.

I had the chance to test my Apple Silicon build on another new M1 computer: it was working there too. So have fun with the upload ... ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on September 30, 2021, 09:03:09 PM
@Ilia: As long as MLVApp doesn't use the GPU, it can't be slowed down by CPU->GPU upload.

It has to upload to the GPU to display the image though, I think that is quite slow (it was my main difficulty in the Cocoa GUI), I assume it must be happening in Qt behind the scenes?

masc

Ah okay... yes, probably...
For FHD on M1: Using Rosetta2+Intel-build, I get 20fps. Using arm64 build, I get up to 50fps.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: ilia3101 on September 30, 2021, 09:39:07 PM
I assume it must be happening in Qt behind the scenes?
Seems so.

Quote from: masc on September 30, 2021, 09:49:11 PM
For FHD on M1: Using Rosetta2+Intel-build, I get 20fps. Using arm64 build, I get up to 50fps.
What a huge difference and this is for "lousy" MB Air M1? :P

Edit: I really need my Linux running on M1 ;)
Edit2: or maybe M2 or M3???
Edit3: there are rumors about Apple even dumping ARM in favor of open source RISC5 (none of licensing) in the future...

lil4ml

i see strange things in my old footage
after "fix focus dots on" interp.1 and all the other methods there still some dots left when i view the video in the viewer (MLV.App.v1.13.Win64.static)). results by method differ in some dots
the dots are mostly cyan, some red and some grey and a pattern can be kind of seen
"fix focus dots off" show red focus dots. back with "fix on" the strange mostly cyan dots are back again but are slightly off positioned to the red focus dots
you only see them on the edge of a object.
after export there are still present
export to cinenemaDNG lossless for ACR import

example
https://ibb.co/R2bYBXX

am i doing something wrong?
newer noticed these dots before but after seeing them for the first time i notice them on lots of footage

chroma smooth 3x3 fix some of the dots but by far not all and leave some more greyish dots

shots are old and i think most or all were made with build crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22
footage Info
Camera: 650d
Lens: ef-s 18-135mm IS STM
Res.: 1600x900
bit: 11bits lossless

i can try and map these dots as "fix bad pixel" but this isnt that easy because they are everywhere but sadly not all present during one frame

can i somehow use a known pattern to quick solve this? or do i miss some function in mlvapp?

lil4ml

just did a quick test on mlv.app.v1.11 and did not see the dots there
is something broken with v1.13?

togg

I know I said it before but I'm doing some export and I'm very happy about the look that MLV App gives as default, it's vibrant and balanced, for such old cameras it is a treat!

whysodifficult

Hi!

Could someone please let me know:

1) How can i rotate mlv video in the app?
2) How to Undo
3) Is it okay that in Quick Time the video looks much more brighter than in the app when i edit it? In VLC it looks almost the same to the app.

MLVapp 1.13
MacOS 10.15.7
Quicktime Version 10.5 (1015.2.1)

Thank you!

masc

1) Transformation tab: Upside down = ON
2) Transformation tab: Upside down = OFF
3) Deactivate all effects in players and load system default monitor profiles in system preferences (and at all other places if you use special options). No such issues on 8 different macs with different OS' here.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

whysodifficult

masc,

Thank you for reply!

1) What i meant is rotating 90 degrees.
2) I meant undoing the actions like Cmmd+Z, but i found you replied here to someone that it cannot be implemented due to the way the current code is written.
3) I have just Quick Time and VLC players and no effects on, and i have default Color LCD profile in display settings.
Maybe it's because of difference in gammas that apps use. Quicktime uses brighter gamma (Apple's ColorSync) than MLVApp and VLC (which is not managed by ColorSync). People have this problem with Premier and Resolve as well, that use darker gammas than Apple. And there's no solution to this. But you say you don't have this problem. I will read more then. Thank you!
(Based on this info: https://dominey.blog/2021/01/24/why-are-videos-washed-out-on-the-mac-exploring-quicktime-gamma-shift/ )