MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Are you surprised with that path name? I am surpries windows even allow expressions in a folder name. Seems allowed on mac too. Pretty ridicoulous imo.

Skinny

Hello guys! Is there an option to export to DNxHR with custom resolutions? Premiere or resolve can do it, it would be great if MLV App could too..

Currently I'm using prores, but on my laptop similar DNxHR files plays 4-5 times better/faster than prores for some reason...

masc

Those DNxH_ codecs are extremely limited. No luck in using something else than the known formats in MLVApp. All the DNxH_ limitations are no fun and very hard to handle. I even have big problems in playing back those files at all, while prores runs in realtime on 4 tracks at the same time. Even Media-Info often can't tell about the data in these files. Better use a better codec...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Now it seems I have had some luck with those DNxH_ codecs and tried to rework them. That means I don't get error messages from ffmpeg anymore. Would be cool, if someone could download, compile and test if these codecs work as expected. Especially DNxHD can't be played at all on my computers. DNxHR works as slideshow here.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Skinny

Maybe I can download and compile it, but I have very little expirience in all this, so maybe later when I finish some things..

Quote from: masc on April 05, 2021, 07:37:51 PM
Especially DNxHD can't be played at all on my computers. DNxHR works as slideshow here.
This is very strange, but on my computer it is exactly the opposite :) I mean ProRes vs DNxHR

2blackbar

if youre on windows, compiling mlvapp isnt that hard , you open it in qtcreator

kidfob

I was curious about ways to possibly speed up export times.

It is possible that this application can be updated to be multi-threaded? When I look at my CPU usage, it is low and multiple cores/threads dont appear to be used.

Alternatively, I supposed one could open multiple instances of the app and process files in parallel.

Thanks for such a great program!

masc

The app runs 100% multithreaded. If your CPU usage is very low, it must be a problem with your system.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vstrglv

I am trying to compile MLVApp on Windows 10. qt-opensource-windows-x86-5.9.0 with MinGW32 compiler. It installed "Qt Creator 4.3.0"
MLV-App-master.zip from https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/tree/master
Then unpackffmpe gWin32.zip in platform/qt/FFmpeg
then open platform/qt/MLVApp.pro in QtCreator
then Build and Run.
MLVApp opens and works. MLVApp.exe 7591KB compiled in BuildDir\release.
Also ffmpeg.exe was copied to BuildDir\release
But after closing MLVApp it is impossible to run MLVApp.exe. There is a message about missing dll.
What is wrong?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

masc

You need to "deploy" the application. That brings all the needed dlls from the Qt folder to the MLVApp folder. Search for windeployqt. You can also search and copy the dlls manually. Until this, you can only run your application from QtCreator.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vstrglv

So I have "Error while building/deploying project MLVApp (kit: Desktop Qt 5.9.0 MinGW 32bit)
When executing step "Run windeployqt""

masc

Quote from: vstrglv on April 14, 2021, 02:42:59 PM
So I have "Error while building/deploying project MLVApp (kit: Desktop Qt 5.9.0 MinGW 32bit)
When executing step "Run windeployqt""
How do you try that? It is a commandline call... but I just can say the macos command, which is different from the windows version. The option in QtCreator menu never worked (at least on all my Qt workstations).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vstrglv

I have tried in Run Settings -  windeployqt with arguments- "--qmldir C:\Users\alvli\Downloads\MLV-App-master\MLV-App-master\platform\qt" in QtCreator menu

masc

On macos my command is:
/Applications/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/bin/macdeployqt Documents/MLV_App/platform/build-MLVApp-Desktop_Qt_5_7_0_clangOMP_64bit-Release/MLV\ App.app/

So:
<path to Qt binaries>/macdeployqt <path to MLVApp build folder>/<MLVApp executable>
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vstrglv

Quote from: masc on April 14, 2021, 12:47:14 PM
You can also search and copy the dlls manually.
I have to add 11 ddls. I works.

Quote from: masc on April 14, 2021, 06:11:32 PM
On macos my command is:
/Applications/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/bin/macdeployqt Documents/MLV_App/platform/build-MLVApp-Desktop_Qt_5_7_0_clangOMP_64bit-Release/MLV\ App.app/

So:
<path to Qt binaries>/macdeployqt <path to MLVApp build folder>/<MLVApp executable>
Thank you! But it is out of my skill. I have tried cmd in win10 with windeployqt.exe. Cmd works without errors but mlvApp needs dlls.

kidfob

Quote from: masc on April 13, 2021, 08:16:33 AM
The app runs 100% multithreaded. If your CPU usage is very low, it must be a problem with your system.

Are you using Windows or Mac? If Windows, would you mind posting a screenshot of the Performance tab in Task Manager (Logical Processors Graph) while you're performing an export?

Regarding the multithreaded strategy, I think it'd be great to have a thread process a different MLV in the session. So if I load 10 MLVs into an export session, Maybe 10 CPU cores could process them all at once.

Thoughts?

Thanks

masc

Platform doesn't matter - code is identical. Here a ProRes4444 export on Win10, on 4-Core, 8 threads, all at 100% load. On macOS this looks identical.

You wish a clip-single-core-processing which would disable (near-to-)realtime preview.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

kidfob

Interesting. Can you show a screenshot exporting a dual iso clip to cinemadng?

I'm just trying to determine any potential bottlenecks on my end. Maybe its the type of clips and my export format...

Thanks again.

masc

That could be the problem: the main DualISO algorithm is the only part of the processing engine which has to run on a single core (preview mode is multithreaded, but quality is worse). So just for the little time of aligning, just one core will have 100% usage (before and after that, all cores are used).
Sry... DualISO is one of the features I barely use, so I forgot about its special realization.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Think it is single threaded because of giving strange results. However the issues with dualiso from mlv app(mlvfs) are still present single threaded. Until issues are adressed i'd recommend disabling dual iso completely in mlv app.

2blackbar

Do You guys know what kind of tonemapping its used here?
It looks so much better and brings up a lot of detail , from what i see at the end hes using 3 sliders, one for hightlights, one for mids and one for shadows to bring them back.
Its kinda like luma adjustment overlay for each of 3 sections thats blended on top of the footage.Luminance ciurve in mlvapp gives similar result but theres something more to it in their method.
would something like this be remotely possible in mlvapp ?

kidfob

How about an option to disable preview and use multiple threads if a user's session is full of dual iso clips. Could that be a strong case for allowing a clip to be processed per core/thread?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. I'm really enjoying these new features!

It's like I have a new camera. Like a Red that fits in your palm.

Danne

As I said. Dualso i mlv app is too unreliable. There's reliable code in cr2hdr which could be used but until that is implemented solution really is to remove dualiso completely from mlv app.

kidfob

I thought of something:
What if MLV App could be used via command line similarly to cr2hdr?

It'd be great to spawn multiple sessions this way, passing in arguments such as file name, certain settings (dual iso, export settings, destination), and whether or not the processing should start immediately and close the app when complete, etc.

One could loop through all the MLVs in a folder, processing them with multiple instances of the App. Maybe one instance per CPU core or logical processor.

Would this be doable?

Thoughts?