MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherSoraka

Quote from: masc on December 19, 2020, 11:16:41 PM
Whatever you load... it MUST have more than 1 frame. Maybe you select the wrong file. I tested here and I just get the message if the selected clip is longer 1 frame. So the code works and is correct.

The warning message also pops up everytime before starting and after finishing exporting.

The Darkframe file used for both clips:
https://gofile.io/d/5GMrDR

Danne

masc

Do you remember, how you created this darkframe? It is corrupted and this particular MLVApp line of code is correct. Your darkframe shows 139 frames in MLVI.videoFrameCount. This is not correct for a darkframe, so you get the message, which in the end seems not to be so stupid ;) . In the info dialog it shows 1, because image data analysis brought just a frame count of 1. That means the metadata in your darkframe is wrong. If I export this frame as "averaged MLV" again, the message is not shown and MLVI.videoFrameCount is 1.

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Is he even averaging the darkframe files at all prior to applying? Is it possible to apply an unavereged darkframe to the mlv? Shouldn´t be imo.

masc

Quote from: Danne on December 20, 2020, 11:24:28 AM
Is he even averaging the darkframe files at all prior to applying? Is it possible to apply an unavereged darkframe to the mlv? Shouldn´t be imo.
You can load also a standard MLV as darkframe - then you get this message. There is no metadata object if the MLV was averaged or not. We just can count the included frames.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Maybe issues before comes from this? Running the workflow wrongly I mean.

masc

Yes... that's why I was asking: "Do you remember, how you created this darkframe?" Maybe this workflow includes a bug.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

MotherSoraka

Quote from: masc on December 20, 2020, 10:30:17 AM
Do you remember, how you created this darkframe? It is corrupted and this particular MLVApp line of code is correct. Your darkframe shows 139 frames in MLVI.videoFrameCount. This is not correct for a darkframe, so you get the message, which in the end seems not to be so stupid ;) . In the info dialog it shows 1, because image data analysis brought just a frame count of 1. That means the metadata in your darkframe is wrong. If I export this frame as "averaged MLV" again, the message is not shown and MLVI.videoFrameCount is 1.
Okay... that makes sense...
I used MLV_Dump to average my darkframes (before figuring out i could use the MLV App itself) using the following commend:
mlv_dump -a "input.mlv" -o "output.mlv"
Seems all my darkframes generated by MLV_Dump have the wrong framef count in metadata. My new MLVApp generated darkframes don't exhibit the same issue.
So... have I missed something while using MLV_dump?

MotherSoraka

Quote from: Danne on December 20, 2020, 06:20:59 AM
Good example how darkframe affects image by the way.
This wasn't even a even good example of the necessity of using darkfames.
I can't believe only a very few here have been using this feature.

Darkframes make a night and day difference especially in low light or after heavy color grading, Denoising, sharpening and bringing up the shadows.
I'll post a before and after compression video later on.

Danne

I implemented fully automated darkframe routines both in Switch(mac) and batch_mlv(windows). I think I know how to use darkframes by now. And the effects.

To help you instead of fixing "issues" in Mlv App it's recommended you upload actual mlv files. This would have saved everyone involved a lot of time. Screen recordings of your full workflow and files is the way to go. Tons of vital information missing.

MotherSoraka

Quick update, Ive been using the new version extensively lately and haven't faced the "leak" issue yet. its been working perfectly so far.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Mevi

Hello! MLV newbie and my first post here.

I've been editing h264/265 8bit files for some years (DV if we're looking waaaay back). I edit while on the road and I'm trying hard not to fall back to using a laptop for much more than pre-processing audio and video.. I use Lumafusion on an iPad pro. My editing chops are pretty good after all these years, but 8bit breaks too easily for run and gun travel videos I make.

I'm not exactly rich, so ML on an older Canon seems an interesting option. I need to do some research before I pull the trigger on my eBay watch list.

Lumafusion has just added support for wide gamut 10bit h265, so I've spent some time with MLV App and some of the older utilities.

Is it possible to add a script for 10bit h265 in MLV App?

FFMpeg can encode to 10bit h265, but having a hard time getting it to process Zeek's sample MLVs.

Like I said, I'm new here. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Many thanks

2blackbar

On that noise in highlights , i just discovered that they used same techique in irishman - grain only in briught areas and shadows/darks are very clean, so it doesnt look like sensor noise.Its a bit strange that superhiglights -whiotes dont have grain as well so its abouyt 40%-80% brightness range that has it.
https://images.hdencode.com/upload/big/2020/12/12/5fd53aa7dcea8-hdencode_screenshot_3.png
I also realised that 35mm film detail rarely went to 4K if ever, i think it has about 3k maybe.

Danne

It´s midtone grain. Not in highlights.
Interesting to see how strange grain appears when peeping a frozen image.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Mevi on December 29, 2020, 02:12:01 AM
I'm not exactly rich, so ML on an older Canon seems an interesting option. I need to do some research before I pull the trigger on my eBay watch list.

MLVApp has a H.265 codec built in and if you do all corrections to your RAW videos in MLVApp and export in that codec, results are fantastic.  Personally, I use it a lot since it provides very compact files that are fast and easy to edit in Resolve Lite, so you can create beautiful films while traveling.  You need pretty much patience with MLVApp though since render times are fairly long.  If you have a laptop whose video card supports the H.265 codec, Resolve 16 provides excellent render times in that codec.  Moreover, using MLVFS, you can do all the processing of your MLV files and video editing in Resolve directly - from import to rendering.  If the laptop does not support H.265 rendering, you can still render in H.264 in Resolve.  This is what I do if I need a fast result - I import all my MLVs in Resolve using MLVFS, do all the processing in the RAW module, as well as the video editing and then export in H.264.  This really goes fast, even on my 7 years old laptop (HP Z-Book 15 with 2GB of GPU RAM) that I take with me when traveling.  Here is a video that I filmed and completed in this way while traveling:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3Yw3/MbAHmSoSk

For smooth playback, please do not watch it online, download it with the "Скачать" button (bottom left) instead.

As far as camera options are concerned, if you are serious about RAW video, a 5D3 in a good condition is your best ML capable choice.  Cheaper cameras are the EOS-M and the 700D and they also do a hell of a job if you don't mind the short battery life.  So, if you decide to use one of these, please consider some sort of powering from external batteries.  Other models have not received updates for quite some time.

Good luck!

masc

Quote from: Mevi on December 29, 2020, 02:12:01 AM

FFMpeg can encode to 10bit h265

Thanks for pointing. I added H.265 10bit 4:2:2 and 12bit 4:4:4 to MLVApp. ffmpeg gets very slow with that and needs some RAM, but this is as it is. Support is now there ;)

@Danne: if you like to add it also to Switch, here are some nice hints, which made coding easy:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/922563/set-bit-depth-in-ffmpeg-encoding-for-hevc
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Mevi

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 29, 2020, 09:18:39 AM
As far as camera options are concerned, if you are serious about RAW video, a 5D3 in a good condition is your best ML capable choice....
....Other models have not received updates for quite some time.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks. The video looks really great.  8)

I think I have settled on either a cheaper 5D2 or the 5D3 at twice that price (which I think has full sensor readout?), but might pick up an affordable EOSM just to try the workflow before fully committing. Whatever I choose, I don't think I will lose money if I decide to sell it on.  :D

Quote from: masc on December 29, 2020, 11:28:45 AM
Thanks for pointing. I added H.265 10bit 4:2:2 and 12bit 4:4:4 to MLVApp. ffmpeg gets very slow with that and needs some RAM, but this is as it is. Support is now there ;)

Hey thanks so much! I look forward to downloading that soon. Will that become available on MLV.app?

I expect to have long waits for the 265 encoding on my PC. I can set it running overnight  ;D
I imagine I will batch process the clips with minimal tweaks before editing on the iPad Pro.
I love using the touchscreen to edit - it kinda feels like I am sculpting a video. Impressively, with hardware support for the codec Lumafusion on the iPad Pro exports projects at 4K10bit 265 at around half real-time.
The new M1 Mac's hint at a bright future for editors. 8)

Danne

What are your pix format settings for 10/12bit?

My tests givie me the same results with -pix_fmt yuv444p10le and -pix_fmt yuv444p10. When trying 12bit -pix_fmt yuv444p12le files comes out smaller in size. Indicates something´s wrong? Metadata and ffmpeg output tells me it´s 12bit but size is smaller than when specifying 10bit? Could you test on your end?

Also. I wonder if setting is the same if doing yuv420p10 instead of 444. File sizes much smaller.

Mevi

I've been tinkering.
With minimal headaches, I can import CinemaDNG and it's associated WAV into Lumafusion (image sequence of 1 frame per image) and export wide gamut HDR from there!!

It'll import any still image sequence, but dng is fast to export in MLV App.

It is actually possible to grade the CinemaDNG in Lumafusion by copy/paste from one image to the whole sequence. The editing of an image sequence is super clunky, however.... There's also the matter of only having a 256GB iPad pro.

masc

Quote from: Mevi on December 29, 2020, 03:31:10 PM
It'll import any still image sequence, but dng is fast to export in MLV App.
DNG is no real export, it is just a copy of data into another structure and is still RAW - so it is mostly just a waste of time and diskspace. But MLVFS (on the fly conversion) is not compatible with an iPad I think... I don't know Lumafusion - what debayer does it use? Not all programs out there are able to process RAW in a nice way. But maybe you have luck and get good results.

Quote from: Danne on December 29, 2020, 01:28:47 PM
What are your pix format settings for 10/12bit?

My tests givie me the same results with -pix_fmt yuv444p10le and -pix_fmt yuv444p10. When trying 12bit -pix_fmt yuv444p12le files comes out smaller in size. Indicates something´s wrong? Metadata and ffmpeg output tells me it´s 12bit but size is smaller than when specifying 10bit? Could you test on your end?

Also. I wonder if setting is the same if doing yuv420p10 instead of 444. File sizes much smaller.
LOL. Yes, you're right. Here an example of 50 frames:
8bit 4:2:0 (yuv420p) - 2.025.062 Byte
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main@L4@Main
Codec ID                                 : hev1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration                                 : 2 s 0 ms
Bit rate                                 : 7 950 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 856 pixels
Height                                   : 1 044 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.164
Stream size                              : 1.90 MiB (98%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.4+22-772b3229d157:[Mac OS X][clang 11.0.0][64 bit] 8bit+10bit+12bit

10bit 4:2:2 (yuv422p10le) - 2.015.250 Byte
Video
Format profile                           : Main 10@L4@Main
Bit rate                                 : 7 910 kb/s
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.163
Stream size                              : 1.89 MiB (98%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.4+22-772b3229d157:[Mac OS X][clang 11.0.0][64 bit] 10bit

12bit 4:4:4 (yuv444p12le) - 1.981.483 Byte
Video
Format profile                           : @L4@Main
Bit rate                                 : 7 775 kb/s
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
Bit depth                                : 12 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.161
Stream size                              : 1.85 MiB (98%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.4+22-772b3229d157:[Mac OS X][clang 11.0.0][64 bit] 12bit

What's going on here? AND: 10bit is not 4:2:2 as the command told to ffmpeg - it is 4:2:0. Hmmmm. On the other side, 8bit is the only file I can playback on my old machine. For the other 2 files I just see the first frame and hear the sound. Reading the metadata with MediaInfo I exactly see what I setup, so I think it was correct.

Edit:

10bit 4:2:0 (yuv420p10le) - 2.015.250 Byte
Video
Format profile                           : Main 10@L4@Main
Bit rate                                 : 7 910 kb/s
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.163
Stream size                              : 1.89 MiB (98%)
Writing library                          : x265 3.4+22-772b3229d157:[Mac OS X][clang 11.0.0][64 bit] 10bit
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

YEah encoding with h.265 takes a bit longer but its worth it, theres almost twice as much detail in h265 files for the same filesize vs h264 , its crazy.
I went into the source and changed i think both medium presets of h264 AND H265 to 14 to get good filesizes and detail , i dont remember now exact numbers i think they were on 18.

Mevi

Quote from: masc on December 29, 2020, 05:03:43 PM
DNG is no real export, it is just a copy of data into another structure and is still RAW - so it is mostly just a waste of time and diskspace. But MLVFS (on the fly conversion) is not compatible with an iPad I think... I don't know Lumafusion - what debayer does it use? Not all programs out there are able to process RAW in a nice way. But maybe you have luck and get good results.

A quick Google for lumafusion's debayer came up blank. The iPad runs iOS, so it's VERY limited by hardware and the OS. If the file format isn't supported by the device, Lumafusion can't open it.

Whatever, Lumafusion won't remove the IR dots by itself. ;D

I should stick with MLVapp to do the heavy lifting and hopefully HDR 10bit H265 export can be implemented. I'm amazed and impressed to see the development team pick up this feature request so quickly. 8)

masc

Quote from: Mevi on December 29, 2020, 07:33:20 PM
I should stick with MLVapp to do the heavy lifting and hopefully HDR 10bit H265 export can be implemented. I'm amazed and impressed to see the development team pick up this feature request so quickly. 8)
HDR is what you do with the image data. You can't get more than what is included in RAW. So process it in a way to get out the most of it. With the latest commits you are already able to export 10bit H.265. You just need to compile it for now. Modification was easy and your tip was good, so the modification was fast ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Mevi

This is what mediainfo says about the 10bit HLG D65 P3 H265 file I just exported from Lumafusion.

I can edit this file on a timeline.... I don't know if there are benefits to editing with this or whether this file type is intended to be for delivery only, like with Dolby vision.

*** General
Complete name                             :  /storage/1479-1B74/My project (2).mp4
Format                                    :  MPEG-4
Format profile                            :  Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                  :  mp42 (isom/mp41/mp42)
File size                                 :  47.0 MiB
Duration                                  :  3 s 542 ms
Overall bit rate                          :  111 Mb/s
Encoded date                              :  UTC 2020-12-29 18:36:52
Tagged date                               :  UTC 2020-12-29 18:36:59

*** Video
ID                                        :  1
Format                                    :  HEVC
Format/Info                               :  High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                            :  Main [email protected]@Main
Codec ID                                  :  hvc1
Codec ID/Info                             :  High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate                                  :  111 Mb/s
Width                                     :  3 840 pixels
Height                                    :  2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                      :  16:9
Frame rate mode                           :  Constant
Frame rate                                :  24.000 FPS
Color space                               :  YUV
Chroma subsampling                        :  4:2:0
Bit depth                                 :  10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                        :  0.558
Stream size                               :  46.9 MiB (100%)
Title                                     :  Core Media Video
Color range                               :  Limited
Color primaries                           :  Display P3
Transfer characteristics                  :  HLG
Matrix coefficients                       :  BT.709
Codec configuration box                   :  hvcC

*** Audio
ID                                        :  2
Format                                    :  AAC LC
Format/Info                               :  Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                  :  mp4a-40-2
Source duration                           :  3 s 605 ms
Bit rate mode                             :  Constant
Bit rate                                  :  128 kb/s
Channel(s)                                :  2 channels
Channel layout                            :  L R
Sampling rate                             :  48.0 kHz
Frame rate                                :  46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                          :  Lossy
Stream size                               :  57.8 KiB (0%)
Source stream size                        :  58.5 KiB (0%)
Title                                     :  Core Media Audio

Running time
00:00.125