MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubsoda

i experience an awkward issue on my macbook pro late 2014. When i connect a monitor over hdmi the image of mlv app displays more red tones / colors change slightly from the result of the export. It happens only to mlvp app and can be reproduced by removing or connecting hdmi monitor. when the monitor is not connected the colors in the preview are the same as export (with prores for example). This change is only visable in mlv app so i thin it's a bug or i did something wrong. Color space on my mac is not the issue here i guess...

edit: the problem i found tends to have affect on the whole mlv app user interface for example color of the ui like the filname markings get more vibrant when hdmi connected

is this a known bug? don't work on colors (on main macbook monitor) with hdmi monitor connected

masc

Sounds strange. But MLVApp does not care about monitors or screens or color profiles. This is 100% task of the operating system ( --> OSX ) or the monitor itself. OSX system preferences handles screen color calibration and color profiles.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

clubsoda

Quote from: masc on September 29, 2020, 01:52:54 PM
Sounds strange. But MLVApp does not care about monitors or screens or color profiles. This is 100% task of the operating system ( --> OSX ) or the monitor itself. OSX system preferences handles screen color calibration and color profiles.

Seems like it's OSX yes, i am still on latest Mojave build but i couldn't figure out the problem yet, display settings seems normal too. Will report back if i find anything further until then i need to disconnect my external monitor while looking at the colors. No problem as i still use the internal monitor for that anyway. Thanks for answering :)

koopg

along time ago I've asked for "spydercheckr 24" presets file support for nailing color from within mlvapp
some dev asked for a file example.

this is the preset file content made for lightroom

s = {
id = "C77A6296-B58D-0B4D-94CC-2140587CC5BC",
internalName = "<NameOfPreset>",
title = "5D3Helius44_2_InSide_Day_Portrait",
type = "Develop",
value = {
settings = {
ConvertToGrayscale = false,
EnableColorAdjustments = true,
HueAdjustmentAqua = -17,
HueAdjustmentBlue = 10,
HueAdjustmentGreen = -20,
HueAdjustmentMagenta = 16,
HueAdjustmentOrange = 0,
HueAdjustmentPurple = 12,
HueAdjustmentRed = 2,
HueAdjustmentYellow = -2,
LuminanceAdjustmentAqua = 0,
LuminanceAdjustmentBlue = -15,
LuminanceAdjustmentGreen = -10,
LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta = -10,
LuminanceAdjustmentOrange = -4,
LuminanceAdjustmentPurple = -9,
LuminanceAdjustmentRed = -14,
LuminanceAdjustmentYellow = -6,
ParametricDarks = 0,
ParametricHighlightSplit = 75,
ParametricHighlights = 0,
ParametricLights = 0,
ParametricMidtoneSplit = 50,
ParametricShadowSplit = 25,
ParametricShadows = 0,
SaturationAdjustmentAqua = -17,
SaturationAdjustmentBlue = -10,
SaturationAdjustmentGreen = -7,
SaturationAdjustmentMagenta = 0,
SaturationAdjustmentOrange = -14,
SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -11,
SaturationAdjustmentRed = -4,
SaturationAdjustmentYellow = -7,
ToneCurve = {
},
ToneCurveName = "Medium Contrast",
},
uuid = "AFC5AB6B-ECC4-7648-AA9C-F37C5728F57C",
},
version = 0,
}

is this possible to add this possibility ?

vstrglv

Quote from: masc on September 25, 2020, 01:09:13 PM

2. No. MLVApp always applies a curve to the RAW data, otherwise the result would look "strange".

So is it impossible to convert mlv to dng with MLVApp without a curve applying like raw2dng.exe?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Danne

Quote from: vstrglv on October 01, 2020, 09:14:47 AM
So is it impossible to convert mlv to dng with MLVApp without a curve applying like raw2dng.exe?
What curve is applied with raw2dng you mean? Whatever information applied into the dng it´s only instruction information(metadata) which will or will not be active depending on nle.

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Danne

Quote from: vstrglv on October 01, 2020, 09:25:56 AM
I mean that raw2dng does not apply any curve, but MLVApp does.
1 - Upload two unaltered dng files exported with both programs for others to examine.
2 - What program did you use checking your dng files?
3 - If possible upload images demoeing what you see.

masc

Quote from: vstrglv on October 01, 2020, 09:25:56 AM
I mean that raw2dng does not apply any curve, but MLVApp does.
Please read the entire post and the relating questsion. We were talking about ProRes export. MLVApp applies curves for non-RAW export only. RAW is and will be RAW. There is no curve applied on DNG.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vstrglv

masc

Quote from: koopg on September 30, 2020, 04:48:22 PM
along time ago I've asked for "spydercheckr 24" presets file support for nailing color from within mlvapp
some dev asked for a file example.

this is the preset file content made for lightroom

s = {
id = "C77A6296-B58D-0B4D-94CC-2140587CC5BC",
internalName = "<NameOfPreset>",
title = "5D3Helius44_2_InSide_Day_Portrait",
type = "Develop",
value = {
settings = {
ConvertToGrayscale = false,
EnableColorAdjustments = true,
HueAdjustmentAqua = -17,
HueAdjustmentBlue = 10,
HueAdjustmentGreen = -20,
HueAdjustmentMagenta = 16,
HueAdjustmentOrange = 0,
HueAdjustmentPurple = 12,
HueAdjustmentRed = 2,
HueAdjustmentYellow = -2,
LuminanceAdjustmentAqua = 0,
LuminanceAdjustmentBlue = -15,
LuminanceAdjustmentGreen = -10,
LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta = -10,
LuminanceAdjustmentOrange = -4,
LuminanceAdjustmentPurple = -9,
LuminanceAdjustmentRed = -14,
LuminanceAdjustmentYellow = -6,
ParametricDarks = 0,
ParametricHighlightSplit = 75,
ParametricHighlights = 0,
ParametricLights = 0,
ParametricMidtoneSplit = 50,
ParametricShadowSplit = 25,
ParametricShadows = 0,
SaturationAdjustmentAqua = -17,
SaturationAdjustmentBlue = -10,
SaturationAdjustmentGreen = -7,
SaturationAdjustmentMagenta = 0,
SaturationAdjustmentOrange = -14,
SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -11,
SaturationAdjustmentRed = -4,
SaturationAdjustmentYellow = -7,
ToneCurve = {
},
ToneCurveName = "Medium Contrast",
},
uuid = "AFC5AB6B-ECC4-7648-AA9C-F37C5728F57C",
},
version = 0,
}

is this possible to add this possibility ?
Hm... sorry... I really don't know what to do with these numbers. There is no relation or equation or something. The question is who does what with these settings?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

Recently I had a serious problem.
I use Canon 5d mk3 with 1.1.3 firmware together with ML and MLVApp.
Suddenly all my shots were overexposed and low contrast.
I thought that it was ML fault and after uploading a file to the forums and read the response, I concluded that somehow my MLVApp settings were faulty.
It had to do with RAW Black Level and White Level.
Its impossible for an average user to know all the insights of the code and the parameters involved.
I erased MLVApp and reinstalled it, nothing changed. I though that maybe MLVApp stores some hidden settings somewhere.
I wish there was a Reset to Default option for all settings.
Or what are the default settings for RAW Black Level and RAW White Level ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Danne

There's a reset button.
99 times out of 100 problem is solved when users provide good feedback. Imo, a description of perceptual issues without providing a sample mlv is not a good starting point trying to solve or learn.

masc

If your settings are faulty, why don't you use the default settings? Only you are able to know about your settings. There are no hidden settings. Maybe uncheck "use default receipt" in Edit menu (if checked, you can default load any faulty custom settings if you do it the wrong way).
For the average and newbe users, there is also a help included in the app which explains all parameters. The same can be found on github wiki.
Reset to default = Ctrl+Alt+R. RAW Black and White level is different for all cams and all bitdepths - so the (mostly) correct value is included in the MLV files metadata.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

andy kh

Quote from: Quentin on October 02, 2020, 10:00:54 AM

I wish there was a Reset to Default option for all settings.
Or what are the default settings for RAW Black Level and RAW White Level ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

In the very begining of this page, there is a video tutorial. Check it out if you have any problem on how to use this App
5D Mark III - 70D

Quentin

Thank you all for your help.
No intention to blame anybody.
We are all contributing to the same goal.

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: masc on September 25, 2020, 01:09:13 PM
1. Camera Matrix = Color calibration. Use = On, Don't use = Off. More info: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#camera-matrix
2. No. MLVApp always applies a curve to the RAW data, otherwise the result would look "strange". Gamma is one parameter of the math beeing done. Some more info: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#5-processing-pipeline
3. ProRes4444 is available in Kostya (ffmpeg) and AVFoundation (Apple). It are just two different implemenations. ffmpeg is 10bit, Apple is 12bit. ffmpeg is available for all OS, Apple version is for OSX only.

Thanks for the info! Isn't gamma 1.0 linear?
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

masc

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on October 04, 2020, 12:00:41 AM
Thanks for the info! Isn't gamma 1.0 linear?
Gamma is one variable in the profile equation.
If the MLVApp profile is "Standard", the equation is:
outColor = inColor ^ (1/gamma)
while here gamma is 3.15 by standard. Other profiles are a bit more complicated... And gamma has different values for different profiles (often it is 1.0 as default).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

koopg

Quote from: masc on October 01, 2020, 12:42:44 PM
Hm... sorry... I really don't know what to do with these numbers. There is no relation or equation or something. The question is who does what with these settings?
Thank you for replying.

I thought it would be strait forward
In most cases
Example:
HueAdjustmentAqua = -17,
HueAdjustmentBlue = 10

I will try to research more

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

masc

Quote from: koopg on October 04, 2020, 09:22:53 PM
In most cases
Example:
HueAdjustmentAqua = -17,
HueAdjustmentBlue = 10
Hm... But what's the unit, what's the relation, in what point this has to be done ... and so on.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

@masc got golden replies numbering here:

Reply 4444 from masc
Reply 3333 from masc
Reply 1111 from masc
Reply 2222 from . . . me :P

I have two suggestions:
-We don't need to add more focus maps: (at least for 700D)

When 1:1 and 1x3 revolution was happening on 700D with increased RAW resolution, and when a1ex made crop_rec with arbitrary resolutions and Binning mode, I (or dfort?) figure out we only need one Map for each Binning mode in this case for 1:1 and 1x3, one map covers the whole focus pixels in each mode,

Back then I provided one sample for 1x3 Mode @ 1736x3478 and another sample for 1:1 Mode @ 5208x3478 to @dfort, he made two focus maps, one for 1x3 and one for 1:1 and they covers all focus pixels . .

And that what I am using today! 3K 1:1 focus map is the same as 1440p 1:1 focus map and same as 1920x1280p 1:1 but with different buffer size in naming, we just need to change the naming of the pixel map buffer size (including the black borders) to match MLV buffer size for each resolution in 1:1, when changing RAW resolution from crop_rec, buffer size would change too, we just don't need more focus pixel to be added for 1:1 and 1x3.

Same thing, All presets in 1x3 share the same focus map but with different naming.

I asked for this back then, we should only use one focus map and calculate the offsets from each MLV directly, Not sure if this possible?

-Open Collective for MLVApp
Why not? :)

Ilia3101, masc and bouncyball would be the admins, collecting some donations e.g: to enhance MLVApp or fixing the known problems by hiring freelancers, also for getting CUDA or OpenCV (what ever) on MLVApp for faster processing, or you can work on new paid features (up to you) . .

Fortunately, there are no legal issues you need to be aware about.

I'd like to see MLVApp getting faster, maybe all of MLVApp users want that! I'd like to hear your opinions

SoulState

Great app, my deep respect to the developer!
But i have some requests to make this app a bit more functional:
1. Please make "Sharpness" slider effect at least twice stronger - i shoot raw with noticeable defocus to avoid aliasing, and current maximum sharpness is not enought to restore image details.
2. Multi-threaded export of clips (every clip on dedicated processor core)
3. In MLV Producer there is cool effect called "analog contrast" that emulates film contrast, adjustments with this effect looking very cool and pleasing! But sadly that app don't have that AMAZING AMAZE debayer algo, so for me it useless(( The only thing that lacks MLV App is that great analog film contrast...

Oh! And just forgotten - i have a bug -  buttons stop working after some time using app (My system is Win7 x64)

masc

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 05, 2020, 11:38:30 AM
@masc got golden replies numbering here:

Reply 4444 from masc
Reply 3333 from masc
Reply 1111 from masc
Reply 2222 from . . . me :P
Haha... nice finding :)

I have two suggestions:
-We don't need to add more focus maps: (at least for 700D)

When 1:1 and 1x3 revolution was happening on 700D with increased RAW resolution, and when a1ex made crop_rec with arbitrary resolutions and Binning mode, I (or dfort?) figure out we only need one Map for each Binning mode in this case for 1:1 and 1x3, one map covers the whole focus pixels in each mode,

Back then I provided one sample for 1x3 Mode @ 1736x3478 and another sample for 1:1 Mode @ 5208x3478 to @dfort, he made two focus maps, one for 1x3 and one for 1:1 and they covers all focus pixels . .

And that what I am using today! 3K 1:1 focus map is the same as 1440p 1:1 focus map and same as 1920x1280p 1:1 but with different buffer size in naming, we just need to change the naming of the pixel map buffer size (including the black borders) to match MLV buffer size for each resolution in 1:1, when changing RAW resolution from crop_rec, buffer size would change too, we just don't need more focus pixel to be added for 1:1 and 1x3.

Same thing, All presets in 1x3 share the same focus map but with different naming.

I asked for this back then, we should only use one focus map and calculate the offsets from each MLV directly, Not sure if this possible?
That sounds interesting. But is this really possible? Do we have the needed metadata in the MLV? I thought we just have the offsets from the raw stream to the recorded area. And with this we already do a kind of what you suggest, but not for the entire sensor - only for the different streams. But here we would additionally need the offset from sensor to recorded area (or to raw stream).

-Open Collective for MLVApp
Why not? :)

Ilia3101, masc and bouncyball would be the admins, collecting some donations e.g: to enhance MLVApp or fixing the known problems by hiring freelancers, also for getting CUDA or OpenCV (what ever) on MLVApp for faster processing, or you can work on new paid features (up to you) . .

Fortunately, there are no legal issues you need to be aware about.

I'd like to see MLVApp getting faster, maybe all of MLVApp users want that! I'd like to hear your opinions
Faster would be nice, but for that you would have to implement the entire processing from scratch with another architecture, with another programming language, and so on. Especially CUDA would take away the perfect compatibility of MLVApp - see all the CUDA apps out there: none of them runs on a simple notebook. And the openCL apps aren't really faster on simple notebooks as well. I don't know if it makes any sense to put so much effort in accelerating this app using another architecture, as long it processes 500GB MLVs over night (what it does already).

Quote from: SoulState on October 07, 2020, 02:05:04 AM
1. Please make "Sharpness" slider effect at least twice stronger - i shoot raw with noticeable defocus to avoid aliasing, and current maximum sharpness is not enought to restore image details.
This will give very ugly edges and won't bring back the detail. For that you would need kind of KI. Why not using a moiree free mode?

2. Multi-threaded export of clips (every clip on dedicated processor core)
We can just have one multi threading architecture, and in past we all decided to multithread single clip based processing, what also accelerated playback a lot. At this time this was a almost 100% rewrite of the processing and export methods and I don't think it is soo bad. You can try very old releases which exported with different multithreading.

3. In MLV Producer there is cool effect called "analog contrast" that emulates film contrast, adjustments with this effect looking very cool and pleasing! But sadly that app don't have that AMAZING AMAZE debayer algo, so for me it useless(( The only thing that lacks MLV App is that great analog film contrast...
Why don't you use our film emulation? In filter section are 4 different analog film emulations and some other filters. These filters work with trained neural networks.

Oh! And just forgotten - i have a bug -  buttons stop working after some time using app (My system is Win7 x64)
Don't know about this one. But I need more information: which buttons, what conditions, what means "stop working",...?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

Quote from: masc on October 04, 2020, 11:52:41 AM
Gamma is one variable in the profile equation.
If the MLVApp profile is "Standard", the equation is:
outColor = inColor ^ (1/gamma)
while here gamma is 3.15 by standard. Other profiles are a bit more complicated... And gamma has different values for different profiles (often it is 1.0 as default).

I spent long time trying to conclude what I did wrong.
I compare Canon native video recording, what I see in monitor, and what MLVApp reads from RAW
Based on metadata, my RAW Black Level was 2047 and RAW White Level at 6000.

On Profile Tab, I use Reinhard Tonemapping and Rec.709 for Processing Gamut.
However MLVApp starts with Gamma 3.5. Unless I drop it down to 2, my shots look Overexposed.
In the past, I never had such a problem. I wonder how come and MLVApp starts with these setting.
Is there a Default Profile Preset setting stored somewhere, or Gamma.
I tried MLV App 1.08 to see whether there was something different. Same treatment as MLVApp 1.11

Thanks for any reply

masc

Quote from: Quentin on October 08, 2020, 01:32:45 PM
On Profile Tab, I use Reinhard Tonemapping and Rec.709 for Processing Gamut.
However MLVApp starts with Gamma 3.5. Unless I drop it down to 2, my shots look Overexposed.
Since the feature exists, the parameters never changed. For Reinhard, Gamma is and was always 3.5.

I wonder how come and MLVApp starts with these setting.
It is and was the default.

Is there a Default Profile Preset setting stored somewhere, or Gamma.
You can create your own default with any receipt, which is auto loaded on all MLV imports.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202