MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Yeah. Could be done with an external script. Not even needed to touch Mlv App. Just run the symlinks in mlv app directly.

70MM13

i began with that simple version, but when it failed i tried more extravagant means, but nothing got me past the exfat brick wall...

edit: i've made a bit of progress.  the ntfs error message was totally misleading.  the issue is with trying to merge the directories.  after doing some research i found that windows doesn't support it at all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_mount

but i did find this:

https://github.com/derbylock/MergeFS

does this look like it can be compiled?

tupp

Quotethe issue is with trying to merge the directories.

Keep in mind, the idea is to link a single file -- not a directory.  In addition, merging directories is not necessary if you can link a single file.

Also, when you got the error, was the exfat card mounted and were you the administrator when you tried to link the file?

Quotebut i did find this:  https://github.com/derbylock/MergeFS  does this look like it can be compiled?
I don't know.  I would be careful running this.

70MM13

i'm a little lost... how would linking a single file get mlvapp to read from two cards?  i was linking directories, not files.  am i missing the goal?

the exfat cards are always mounted while i am testing, and i am running the command prompt as admin.

tupp

If you can successfully link a single file (not a directory) from an exfat card using this command:
mklink  C:\link\on\ntfs\drive  E:\single-file\on\exfat\card

... then you can simply batch link into a single directory on your C:\ drive all of the files (not directories) from "Card A", along with all of the files (not directories) from "Card B".

So, all of the camera files on both cards will be individually linked within a single directory on your C:\ drive.

The batch command/script to use would be something like the commands/scripts suggested in this thread.

70MM13

thanks for the help!  i got it working!

i wrote a very simple batch file for other windows users to use:  (input it as a text file and then save as filename.BAT)
right click on the icon and choose "run as administrator"

@echo on

SET SrcRoot1=L:\DCIM\100EOS5D
SET SrcRoot2=S:\DCIM\100EOS5D
SET TargetRoot=A:\MLVSDCF

FOR %%A IN ("%SrcRoot1%\*") DO (MKLINK "%TargetRoot%\%%~NXA" "%%~A")

FOR %%A IN ("%SrcRoot2%\*") DO (MKLINK "%TargetRoot%\%%~NXA" "%%~A")

PAUSE
EXIT

it's obviously set for my paths, so adjust to your specific settings.  make sure to create the destination directory before running the batch!

i'm using a ramdisk as drive A, which is a convenient place to stick random junk like a pile of shortcuts for a single use :)

tested with mlvapp and it worked!!

i hope it comes in handy for other magic lantern users as well :)

tupp

By the way, your script appears to be creating hard links (instead of symbolic links).

When you delete those hard links, do the target files (the camera files on your card) also get deleted?

70MM13

i specifically created hard links to ensure that mlvapp will recognize the files from both cards.

my initial test using "libraries" failed.  mlvapp didn't "see" the m00 files.
i took it to mean that soft links are insufficient for mlvapp, so i just went straight for hard links in the script.

but with your question, i went back and changed the script to soft links and it still works.

so i can't say why "libraries" don't work, and i suppose at this point i don't care ;)

thanks for the suggestion!

i will revise the code in the message to be soft links to avoid potential confusion by putting up a new version...

tupp

My concern was that if someone used the script with the hard link flag, that they would inadvertently/automatically delete the camera files on the cards when the hard links were deleted.  Symbolic links tend to avoid that problem.

By the way, what is the purpose of using the directory symbolic link flag ("/D") with the mlink command?

70MM13

the same... i was overcompensating for the failure of "libraries".
i just checked and it works without them, so another slim down!

Teamsleepkid

Haven't been keeping up with mlv app in a long time and there's absolutely tons of settings. What's everybody using? Amaze? Bilinear? Apple av foundation? Zeek probably has a recommendation I'm sure.. What seems to be fast export with good quality? Thanks
EOS M

masc

Always just use what you need to use, and what the footage makes looking like you want it. If you need good quality, it will mostly be slow. If it is fast, quality will mostly be bad.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Quote from: masc on September 18, 2020, 08:05:39 AM
Always just use what you need to use, and what the footage makes looking like you want it. If you need good quality, it will mostly be slow. If it is fast, quality will mostly be bad.

I absolutely agree.  And never wait for MLVApp to finish its work.  Batch processing works perfectly on it.  Just apply your best settings, let it run and do something else in that time.  For lots of clips I usually let several copies (typically 3 or 4) work at the same time, each processing a different group of clips.  This makes rendering much faster and saves you a lot of time even on a laptop.

Teamsleepkid

I've been trying all the different options. I guess my problem is I have pink frames green frames trashed frames in 5k anamorphic mode. Doesn't seem to happen in the new 1:1 mode. Don't know if it's the 5k mode doing it? Or mlv app? Or maybe it's because I'm running dos dude patch on a 2011 Mac Pro and my little intel 3000 can't handle anything above 1080p raw. Anyone else have problems in 5k?
EOS M

Danne

5k what cam? Upload a mlv file. Your SETTINGS folder from cam? Guesswork otherwise.

Teamsleepkid

Never mind it must be some kind of computer problem. Really strange. I downloaded vlc and the garbage frames are gone. Seemed like it must have been QuickTimes fault. But strangely after I got vlc my QuickTime started working again. It's like something in the vlc package fixed QuickTime.
EOS M

Quentin

Often Saving/Importing Receipt/Sessions fails, due to corrupted files.
MLVApp 1.11

masc

Quote from: Quentin on September 24, 2020, 06:49:17 AM
Often Saving/Importing Receipt/Sessions fails, due to corrupted files.
MLVApp 1.11
From where do you get corrupted Receipt/Session files? What failes and how it failes?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

Quote from: masc on September 24, 2020, 03:47:37 PM
From where do you get corrupted Receipt/Session files? What failes and how it failes?

When saving sessions, I save twice with different names.
A couple of times, saving came out corrupted.
Recently I saved Receipt file and tried to Import it later.
It wasnt as responsive as I expected.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Milk and Coffee

A few questions on exporting in MLV app.

Gear: 5D2 and reddeercity's latest Crop_rec build.

My goal is to get a file in a log gamma, as if it came straight out of camera that shoots log.

I have read the wiki here on export settings: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#export-settings

Heres the scenario,
-I import an MLV. I leave exposure alone, even if it was under/over exposed. I only adjust white balance if needed.
-Under "profiles" I select the "BMD Film" preset. (Does anyone have a suggestion of a "tonemapping" and "processing gamut" combination?)
-I leave "Allow Creative Adjustments" disabled.
-I leave "Gamma" set to "1.00"

Question 1: I kind of understand what the options under "Camera Matrix" do. But am still a little fuzzy. What are the benefits to "Use Camera Matrix" vs "Don't Use Camera Matrix"?
Question 2: Does leaving "Gamma" set to "1.00" basically mean MLV App won't make any adjustments? How is this different than using the exposure slider? What are the benefits to this adjustment?
Question 3: When selecting "Apple ProRes 4444," which "ffmpeg" selection should I select of the options? Options are "ffmpeg Kostya," "ffmpeg Anatolyi," and "Apple AVFoundation." What are the benefits?

Thanks all!
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

masc

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on September 24, 2020, 11:36:17 PM
Question 1: I kind of understand what the options under "Camera Matrix" do. But am still a little fuzzy. What are the benefits to "Use Camera Matrix" vs "Don't Use Camera Matrix"?
Question 2: Does leaving "Gamma" set to "1.00" basically mean MLV App won't make any adjustments? How is this different than using the exposure slider? What are the benefits to this adjustment?
Question 3: When selecting "Apple ProRes 4444," which "ffmpeg" selection should I select of the options? Options are "ffmpeg Kostya," "ffmpeg Anatolyi," and "Apple AVFoundation." What are the benefits?
1. Camera Matrix = Color calibration. Use = On, Don't use = Off. More info: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#camera-matrix
2. No. MLVApp always applies a curve to the RAW data, otherwise the result would look "strange". Gamma is one parameter of the math beeing done. Some more info: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#5-processing-pipeline
3. ProRes4444 is available in Kostya (ffmpeg) and AVFoundation (Apple). It are just two different implemenations. ffmpeg is 10bit, Apple is 12bit. ffmpeg is available for all OS, Apple version is for OSX only.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

Quote from: masc on September 24, 2020, 08:50:12 PM
What means corrupted? Do you have an example file?

Unfortunately not.
I consider the first time as an accident.
When it happened again it seemed serious.
As far as I remember, one of the cases was "Save on Exit" that generated a corrupted file.
I promise next time to keep the result in order to submit it to you.

masc

@Quentin: yes, please send it to me, if it happens again. I never saw any corrupted session file, so I don't know what could be corrupted there. There is just one single save session function, so it don't cares from where it is called.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202