MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Try work with ae and then post your complaints to adobe @Eugenia.
Mlv App is a high end batch tool. Do copies of the app if you want multiprocessing.
You also seem to think coding gpu based processing is trivial. Think again. Not even strong funded adobe nor resolve reads dng  streams close to realtime. Only one I see effectively fixing that is A. Baldwin(MlRawVewer). Another open source project.
Talking open source. The beauty here is that you can get all code and rework anything you want. You could  even pay someone to do it for you. A much better contribution for everybody.

megapolis

Quote from: Eugenia on August 12, 2020, 12:44:13 AM
If you want speed, just go with fastcinemadng.

This won't fix the AF points or help me with other MLV-specific raw fixes though. It's not really a full solution. The only app with the proper raw controls is MLV app. That's where Cuda needs to be added (along other optimizations, let's not put all the blame to the lack of GPU support).

This is not correct. In the Fast CinemaDNG Processor software there is a module to suppress AF points. You just need to close current project and go to Option dialog, choose MLV tab and mark "Fix focus dots". If it doesn't work, please send us your MLV file for evaluation.

fsr

Hi,

I have a Canon 600D, and every time i try to open a MLV File, MLV App crashes with the error "segmentation fault". The OS is MX Linux (it's Debian-based), so i'm running MLV App as an AppImage. Is there something i can make it work? Here some system info:

System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2
           Distro: MX-19.2_x64 patito feo February 15  2020
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M3A78-EM v: Rev X.0x serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends
           v: 2701 date: 10/08/2010
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Phenom II X4 955 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood XT [Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730] driver: radeon v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.19.0-6-amd64 LLVM 7.0.1) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Device-2: Creative Labs EMU10k1 [Sound Blaster Live! Series] driver: snd_emu10k1
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-6-amd64
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 956.45 GiB (51.3%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 size: 931.51 GiB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 size: 931.51 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 386.84 GiB used: 92.86 GiB (24.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.63 GiB used: 4.5 MiB (0.1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 27 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: radeon fan: 0
Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: 2h 04m Memory: 7.79 GiB used: 3.05 GiB (39.2%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.36

I did a google search on this error, but didn't find much about it for this application.

The MLV video is 640x480 to keep the rate under what the camera can handle.

Regards

bouncyball

@fsr

Recently we, together with masc, fixed one old bug which caused crashes on MLV importing. It has to be the version you used (AppImage?) does not have that fix. If you can, try to compile latest mlvapp from repository. This should help resolve your issue.

voglovas

Hello,
I'm linux (Fedora 32) user.
I have downloaded Appimage, and made permission for executing (chmod a+x...) but nothings happened when i tried to start application.
When I try over terminal i get this - ./MLV.App.v1.11.Linux.x86_64.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: libnsl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have installed libnsl, but nothing has changed

Any advise?

masc

Please don't double post. The question was already asked here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/issues/211
It seems the dependencies in Fedora are different than in Ubuntu. You'll have to compile the App on your own, or use e.g. Ubuntu. I expect this a bug in linuxdeployqt, which should include all needed libraries. Maybe this helps: https://github.com/AppImage/pkg2appimage/issues/336
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

tupp

Quote from: voglovas on August 24, 2020, 12:24:46 PM
When I try over terminal i get this - ./MLV.App.v1.11.Linux.x86_64.AppImage: error while loading shared libraries: libnsl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The MLVapp appimage for Linux is sort of messy.  It contains two binaries that are different, and one of them commonly gives errors similar to the one you mentioned, although I suspect that the problem might also involve Fedora's removal of the library in question, to which @masc linked.

Try extracting the appimage (which creates the "squashfs-root/" directory containing all files), and then run the MLVapp binary that usually doesn't give the dependency errors:
$ ./MLV.App.v1.11.Linux.x86_64.AppImage --appimage-extract
$ ./squashfs-root/usr/bin/mlvapp

If you still get the same error on the missing library, try copying the library from where it resides on your Fedora install into the newly extracted lib directory:

$ cp -ivp /path/to/your/fedora/library squashfs-root/usr/lib/

Now, try running the MLVapp binary again:
$ ./squashfs-root/usr/bin/mlvapp

Quote from: voglovas on August 24, 2020, 12:24:46 PM
I have installed libnsl, but nothing has changed
If the above steps don't work, make sure that you have the specified version of the needed library(s).  If you are using another version of the library, install the needed version and repeat the above steps.

If none of these steps work, you could also try the same commands above with the usually problematic MLVapp binary and see what happens. To start that binary, do this:
$ ./squashfs-root/mlvapp

jetrotal

Hey guys, any plans on improving the render workflow?

I've been testing DuMe, an opensource alternative to Adobe's Media Encoder.
It uses the same tools and framework as MLV App,
and includes tons of render settings and presets that could boost MLV App's rendering experience.

Here's a demo of it:

and Here's their Repo:
https://github.com/Rainbox-dev/DuME
https://rainboxlab.org/tools/dume/

It would be nice to have a way to queue MLVapp project files directly inside DuMe,
or to have part of DuMe's UI + Output Settings inside MLV App.

What do you think?

masc

Thanks for the links. But what do you mean with same tools and frameworks? Qt and FFMPEG won't speed up anything. MLVApp has a very unique processing engine. I don't think it will get much faster soon.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jetrotal

My bad! I thought both were made using Qt and FFMPEG.

Maybe i'm just too attached to the typical UX from render and media encoder apps.

I feel like the overall render experience on MLV App is a little funky,
with the limited preset panels and render settings...

And feels a little bit unnatural the way MLV app freezes while rendering, leaving the user with a progress bar and a Terminal/CMD running in background.

These may be just nitpicking, but something closer to AME or DuMe, or a way to send the rendering file with the color corrections settings to DuMe would be nice.

masc

Quote from: jetrotal on September 12, 2020, 06:14:44 PM
My bad! I thought both were made using Qt and FFMPEG.
So far, so right, but this is not used for processing.
I feel like the overall render experience on MLV App is a little funky,
with the limited preset panels and render settings...
What do you mean with funky? And what is limited? Other guys say there are way to much features... :D
And feels a little bit unnatural the way MLV app freezes while rendering, leaving the user with a progress bar and a Terminal/CMD running in background.
If you get freezes, please install a debugger and tell us where it freezes. This could help to fix such behavior. Never got any freeze in the past year on all my computers.
For the terminal/CMD window you must tell your thanks to Microsoft - it is a Windows only feature. All other OS are able to run external apps without this ugly window (and tunnel data to them).
These may be just nitpicking, but something closer to AME or DuMe, or a way to send the rendering file with the color corrections settings to DuMe would be nice.
As far as I can see in the demo, DuMe does no processing at all. It just configures FFMPEG to transcode into another codec. This is something very different.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

70MM13

with danne's amazing new 3.5k mode, the need for constant use of card spanning is unavoidable now.  is there any chance of getting support for reading from both cards in mlv app?
copying all the source files into the same directory just to get started becomes a real problem in workflow.

Danne

On mac this could be done fast with aliasing files. I´ll test some aorund mlv_dump on this theme.

70MM13

that is a great suggestion.  i'll test to see if this can work on windows using "libraries".

Danne

One idea is to Be able and drag the two cards straight onto Mlv App. This could itself activate a question if you want to enable card spanning routine or similar. Other way around enabling the function from withing Mlv App too would work. Question remains if this is worth the hassle or not.

70MM13

it's absolutely worth the hassle.  dealing with an extra pile of storage space and the time associated with the extra copying of all these large files is rather severe.

unfortunately, windows "libraries" does not support removable media.  i wonder if there is a third party alternative that can do this.

Danne

Don't think you know what aliasing files are here?
Anyway. Think it's up to masc or ilia3101 what to do here.

70MM13

probably not!  i haven't used a mac since i had one as the front end for my hard disc recorder in the studio back in the 1990s :P

but it made me think of the "libraries" idea and hopefully i will find another workaround, so your inspiration is most appreciated ;)

tupp

Quote from: Danne on September 13, 2020, 02:02:10 PM
Don't think you know what aliasing files are here?
Is "alias" a cute Apple name for what is merely a symbolic link?

@70MM13
In a single Windows folder/directory, you can create a batch of symbolic links to the files on both cards by
doing something like this.

Of course, it would be ideal if MLV App simply had built-in functionality to load files from different directories/folders.

70MM13

unless my memory is incorrect, this option doesn't support exfat.

is there a way around that?

tupp

I don't use Windows, but I think that you can link from non-exfat filesystems to target files/directories in an exfat filesystem.  It seems to be working for this poster.

It's easy enough to try on a test file (with a test card).

Danne

Crude example of a dual card workflow using symlinks on mac:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/switch_mini-git/commits/db5140d40a1240a213a68a8a81dd2c6147cf8faf

Mainly this:
card1="$(cat ~/Library/Preferences/Dannephoto/folder_paths.txt | awk 'FNR == 1')"
card2="$(cat ~/Library/Preferences/Dannephoto/folder_paths.txt | awk 'FNR == 2')"
ln -s $(find "$card1" -iname '*.M*') /tmp/switchmini/cardspan
ln -s $(find "$card2" -iname '*.M*') /tmp/switchmini/cardspan

Throw all symlinks into a tmp folder and start working from there. Should be possible to handle this similarly in Mlv App.

The issue transcoding from cards is it´s not exactly fast and it doesn´t help that card spanning is mostly used with heavy resolution presets.

70MM13

i did the test some time back.  i tried again and even with links to links to links it still fails.  whether it is symlink commands alone, or "libraries" that use those symlinks, it says "local ntfs only"

:(

tupp

Quote from: 70MM13 on September 14, 2020, 12:12:24 PM
i tried again and even with links to links to links it still fails.
That sounds more complex than it needs to be.

The Windows mklink command is very simple.  If you can make it work with a single file on your exfat card, you are golden.

Just in case you haven't tried this, here is the command to test on the Windows command line (I think that you have to be root/administrator):
mklink  C:\link\on\ntfs\drive  E:\file\on\exfat\card

Of course, change the "E:" to whatever drive letter corresponds to your exfat card.