MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

That worked ! Great , thanks for helping masc.
I noticed that files like QTCore d or QTGuid are much bigger in size than the ones for version 1.9 and 1.10.
IS that normal? Now MLVApp takes about 1gb.Their nam is also with "d" at the end, that means debug ?
I think yes, ill try it with release.
--
Yeah taht was it, now its 64MB with release.

masc

Yes, with d in the end is debug. It is way bigger and way slower, but it is able to track and log errors, when using the debugger. For normal use choose release. If you get any crash, try the same with the debug version inside QtCreator and it will you tell the line of code where the crash happens.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

masc can i make it do two pass encoding with hevc 265 ? im doing some testing in avidemux , if i will like them id like to use the settings in mlvapp for exporting 2 pass h265.It will make log file needed for 2nd pass tho and im not sure how to write it in one line in mlvapp, needs two separate passes.

Luther

Quote from: masc on June 11, 2020, 09:03:45 AM
Edit: master compiles and works without problem also on Windows 32bit, while 64 bit produces a crash on startup)
So you were able to fully compile on 64-bit? What are your settings? I think the float commit was what made it stuck. It seems other people also had issues compiling tinyexpr on windows:
https://github.com/codeplea/tinyexpr/issues/44
https://github.com/codeplea/tinyexpr/pull/54
@Luther: if you just install Qt with mingw32 or mingw64 you don't have to change anything in settings for beeing able to compile MLVApp. MLVApp project is made for working with QtCreator standard settings on Windows.
That was the first thing I tried yesterday. Didn't work on master now (some months back it worked without problems). The debugger accuses of clang not being installed. I know QtCreator has it's own clang binary, but for some reason it didn't work. After manually installing and setting it to use the new binary, it worked. But then float.h was not up-to-date.
Where is the problem to open a project and hit a compile button. Sorry.
If only it was that simple. QtCreator was +50GB when I first downloaded it. All of that just for what was supposed to be just a GUI frontend for compilers.
Even typing "make" is more difficult.
Not really? I spent ~1h trying to figure out how to compile MLVApp master. While compiling st is as easy as doing "git clone https://git.suckless.org/st && cd st && sudo make".
And you can do that in command line instead using QtCreator, if you like, and you will come to the same result.
Yes, but now you need to chain 5+ binaries in a row to do the same task people have been doing since the 80s.
Anyway, don't want to be the obnoxious purist here, just think some of those modern solutions are too complex and create more problems than it solves.

ilia3101

Tinyexpr won't compile on windows 64? Which parts are causing problems?

+ I always use command line to compile mlv app  ;)

qmake; make -j4

masc

@2blackbar: two pass processing would mean to rewrite a bigger part of the ffmpeg export function. And it will need around the double processing time... (I think you know).

Quote from: Luther on June 11, 2020, 11:13:12 PM
So you were able to fully compile on 64-bit? What are your settings?
Yes, no problem. Works out of the box. Qt standard settings with minGW64, 5.13.1. Maybe you tried with VC compiler. The crash after starting the app is fixed now.

I think the float commit was what made it stuck. It seems other people also had issues compiling tinyexpr on windows:
https://github.com/codeplea/tinyexpr/issues/44
https://github.com/codeplea/tinyexpr/pull/54
I did not see any problem with this lib.

I spent ~1h trying to figure out how to compile MLVApp master.
Download, unzip, load .pro file, hit okay, hit compile, start application. https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App#qt-app-windows

Or via Qt command line:
go into MLVApp/platform/qt, qmake MLVApp.pro, make (or mingw32-make or how it's called) -j4 (number of threads)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: ricardopt on June 09, 2020, 07:36:11 PM
Hi again, just figured out what was wrong with the colours...i recorded the videos on a sunny day and used 5600k as whitebalance but i was getting the wrong colour/cast in mlvapp, converting to cdng was giving better results but something was off, after so many tests i decided to play with the WB value in mlvapp and after some tests i found out that using 5600k was the problem, the colours were back to normal if i use 4600k, dont know what happened since i read here and on other forums that 5600k is good for sunny days.

Thanks everyone.

As a rule, always adjust white balance first. Always.

It is possible you have to use 4600k because your lens has a yellow tint (almost all lenses do). I find myself using between 4600k to 5200k for daylight mostly.

Luther

So I 'cleaned the room' (reinstalled lastest QtCreator, MinGW and cloned Master again) and it worked. Don't know what was the issue before, if you guys updated Qt and I was using a wrong version of it (it was working about 3 months ago) or if the new commit from @Ilia3101 fixed it...
Anyway, master is working great on Windows 10 64-bits now, that's good.

Danne

A few fixes for Mlv_App_compiler.app in first post. Testing out a version for Catalina. To get openmp working we need both updated llvm and llvm@7 installed:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler/commits/39cec5f9e58be00b2f7ff446045c8a850f406b5d

Download:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler/downloads/mlv_app_compiler.dmg

If issues please try this in terminal then run the compiler again.
brew install llvm
brew upgrade llvm

Milk and Coffee

A few questions here, forgive me! I tried to read as much of this thread as I could!

1. Is there a way to rename DNG sequences in MLV App? (Aside from the current structure?) I like to include the camera model in my file names.
1A. If I rename AFTER exporting to DNG, will this cause any issues? I know there is metadata inside cDNG's, so if the current filename doesn't match the filename it had when exporting, will that cause any issues?
2. What is the export setting "Cinema DNG Fast Pass"? How does it differ from "Cinema DNG Uncompressed?"

Thank you!
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

masc

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on June 24, 2020, 07:48:07 PM
1. Is there a way to rename DNG sequences in MLV App? (Aside from the current structure?) I like to include the camera model in my file names.
No, this is not possible.
1A. If I rename AFTER exporting to DNG, will this cause any issues? I know there is metadata inside cDNG's, so if the current filename doesn't match the filename it had when exporting, will that cause any issues?
It can lead to problems with proxy workflows: because the naming might be different, linking could fail.
2. What is the export setting "Cinema DNG Fast Pass"? How does it differ from "Cinema DNG Uncompressed?"
"Fast Pass" leaves picture data untouched, while "uncompressed" force exports to uncompressed cDNG where also RAW corrections are applied.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: masc on June 24, 2020, 08:18:02 PM
No, this is not possible.It can lead to problems with proxy workflows: because the naming might be different, linking could fail."Fast Pass" leaves picture data untouched, while "uncompressed" force exports to uncompressed cDNG where also RAW corrections are applied.

Thanks masc!

1A. So If I don't use a proxy workflow, renaming cDNG sequences after exporting should work fine? There are no cDNG metadata issues with that?
2. To clarify, a "Fast Pass" cDNG export will not include ANY adjustments from the panels?
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on June 17, 2020, 02:42:43 PM
A few fixes for Mlv_App_compiler.app in first post. Testing out a version for Catalina. To get openmp working we need both updated llvm and llvm@7 installed:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler/commits/39cec5f9e58be00b2f7ff446045c8a850f406b5d

Download:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler/downloads/mlv_app_compiler.dmg

If issues please try this in terminal then run the compiler again.
brew install llvm
brew upgrade llvm

I've went ahead and did the two commands via Terminal per your request. Done. Thanks for this and how'd you managed this?  :o

Also downloaded this version of MLV_APP_compiler. Ran 'U' just to be sure all well. Then ran 'OP' and here we go...

A LEGEND!

Thanks again for sticking your neck out, always!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

coffee_king

Is there no UNDO button with MLV Video? So if I don't like an adjustment I've done I can go back a step? I can't see it in the menu system and Cmd + Z doesnt do anything either.
Thanks in advance.

masc

Quote from: coffee_king on July 06, 2020, 04:52:45 PM
Is there no UNDO button with MLV Video? So if I don't like an adjustment I've done I can go back a step? I can't see it in the menu system and Cmd + Z doesnt do anything either.
Thanks in advance.
Nope. Does not exist, and would mean a rewrite of nearly the whole GUI.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

sebamax

Hi guys,
How to use MLV with card spanning?
Is it necessary to copy the contents of two cards in one folder?

sebamax

I tried coping the files into a new folder and it was ok, but I would like to know if it's possible to work connecting the cards without coping the files into the hard disk.

yourboylloyd

Feature Request: Is it possible to have a height transformation of 1.33x in MLVApp?  Right now there is only 1.67x and 3.0x. I mount my SLR magic lens sideways so I can get more vertical resolution. (I also turn my camera sideways too) But it would be awesome to preview and export it already in the proper aspect ratio.

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

masc

Stretching preview is not as easy as one might think, because of many dependencies. But you can export in whatever resolution you like. See export settings, "resize".
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

Quote from: masc on July 12, 2020, 10:24:20 PM
But you can export in whatever resolution you like. See export settings, "resize".
+1
I export Anamorphic to a specific Aspect Ration Resolution. E.g. for 1.33x, I export a 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio Resolution [4096x1679] and use this site as a guide for upscaling:
https://blog.chameleondg.com/post/111891072017/resolution-aspect-ratio-cheat-sheet

*Note, Some say the SLR Anamorphot 1.33x is not true 1.33x and feels like 1.25x, so if 2.35:1 looks a little tall, try other aspect ratios upon export, e.g. 2.39:1. And just to check it's a good fit, export 1 frame instead of the whole thing to save time ;)
EOS M

TKez

Any updates on the possibility of Cinelog?

Could we not allow a users who own Cinelog to copy the dcp files into a place where MLVApp can detect and use it?

Cinelog really is a great pairing for MLV Raw and remains AFAIK the only colourspace transform designed and calibrated specifically for it.

MLVApp + Cinelog workflow that would allow more or less one click dumping of a card full of MLVs into Cinelog Prores would be a very fast, powerful and space saving combination.

Working direct with cDNG in Davinci has it's benefits, but if you're working on real projects, it's hard to beat the blazing speed of FCPX with Prores.

bakersdozen

Quote from: TequilaKez on July 14, 2020, 06:03:27 AM
Any updates on the possibility of Cinelog?

Could we not allow a users who own Cinelog to copy the dcp files into a place where MLVApp can detect and use it?

That would be super sweet if possible.
EOS M + 5D3