MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

As it seems for now, google didn't bother to add support for dual-iso mlv's  :P

Danne

Quote from: Levas on June 03, 2020, 06:55:00 PM
As it seems for now, google didn't bother to add support for dual-iso mlv's  :P
haha.

Tested the file both on mlvfs and cr2hdr and same result with stripes showning. I think it´s just one of those files that´s hard for the converter to detect correctly. A1ex probably knows how to fix that clip but is it worth it. Dualiso cr2 yes, but for movie files I think not.

Levas

It probably isn't worth the time to get a specific clip fixed.
But what amazes me is the fact that reddeercity has no problem converting the exact same file  ???

Could there be a bug in cr2hdr for macOS, or in different versions used ?

Danne

Don't know about that. Will have to check his files. Did he share converted dng files? If working better maybe it's an early mlvfs version.

Danne

Did you examine the dng file? Full of cold pixels. Probably cold pixel fix added. Maybe some other setting. Probably some older version that makes this particular file work a little better but looking at the file so much noise. Better to just use it in anamorphic mode or x3crop and work with those files.

yourboylloyd

Hello all,

I'm still a noob at MLVApp. I usually just export DNG and edit in AFX. Is it possible to export to Prores RAW from MLVApp?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

reddeercity

@Levas as I said before this is Windows7 & I'm using 2 different MLVFS systems ,
the first one is the old Fuse/Dokan Quick Mount with mlvfs.dll in the root drive
so a simple right click on the .mlv file in windows explore .
The other one is the mlvfs.exe in Web browser that build a virtual disk drive and load them in that drive .

The one I use to extract the 5d3 dualiso dng was the quick mount mlvfs .
Her a screen shot of the .dll file proprieties

been using this since 2015 for all my .mlv's normal & dual iso video on my 5D2
The file version 0.4.0.0 (bb0bad7)
Had a look in the source code to see what is set by default in dual iso processing
mlvfs/src/master/mlvfs/main.c#lines-918
This look like it

else if(mlvfs.dual_iso == 2)
            {
                is_dual_iso = cr2hdr20_convert_data(&frame_headers, image_buffer->data, mlvfs.hdr_interpolation_method, !mlvfs.hdr_no_fullres, !mlvfs.hdr_no_alias_map, mlvfs.chroma_smooth, mlvfs.fix_bad_pixels);
            }

So I would think if you compile the commit (bb0bad7) for mac you should have the same as me .
here link to the commit bb0bad7

adrjork

Quote from: reddeercity on June 04, 2020, 05:16:38 AMSo I would think if you compile the commit (bb0bad7) for mac you should have the same as me. here link to the commit bb0bad7
I'm not a coder, so I can only follow hoping someone compiles this for Mac.

Danne

mlvfs from 2015. Check commits in cr2hdr ranch:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/branch/cr2hdr

Best guess. Even if this particular clip will work with an older version, a lot of other files will get a much worse treatment. If anyone wants to compile a 2015 build, go ahead.

reddeercity

Found the one I use on my older mac , build date from 11/30/2014 the only difference in this one is there no support for lossless compression (I think but I'm not sure) .
I didn't check any file with it as i'm not close to my MacPro 5.1 right now , but work with any files from my 5d2 .
MLVFS.dmg

adrjork

Quote from: reddeercity on June 04, 2020, 08:43:06 AM
Found the one I use on my older mac , build date from 11/30/2014 the only difference in this one is there no support for lossless compression (I think but I'm not sure). I didn't check any file with it as i'm not close to my MacPro 5.1 right now , but work with any files from my 5d2. MLVFS.dmg
Thank you so much reddeercity. Also, may I ask to you to kindly post a downloable link of your «old Fuse/Dokan Quick Mount with mlvfs.dll in the root drive». I'd appreciate it a lot :) (I'd like to test a thing on my machine...)

[EDIT: the old 2014 MLVFS gives the same results as current MLVFS... I'd like to try your old Windows quick mount version.]

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Levas

@adrjork
Found a workflow in MLVapp that somehow gives ok results(not perfect, because after this fix you can see you deal with the problem discussed in this post)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg226389#msg226389

I did this in MLVapp1.11 on mac.
Open up the MLV file in in MLVapp.
Now on the right side of the window with options, at the top uncheck the box for "enable raw correction"
Once you unchecked this option, you will see that your MLV file has more natural colors.
Now export the file as DNG sequence (cinemaDNG lossless in the export option menu)
Now select in the top menu bar -> file -> Transcode and import
Select/open the folder where you export the dng's to and select a location for the new MLV file.
After that you will see your new MLV file appear in MLVapp.
Now on the right side of the window with options, use "auto" or "force" option for fixing bad pixels.
And use force on dual iso, and probably use preview option with dual iso (looks a little better I guess  ???)

Now the weird thing is, if you want to export this new mlv file to a dng sequence, it won't give you normal dual-iso results as you see in the preview...
But you can export to h.264 or Tiff/PNG sequence, Tiff/PNG sequence is als a good option for daVinci Resolve.

Problem however, you still have weird issues with frames that show reddish tint or green tint.
The clip is very stationary, so probably stack 4 layers of the clip on top of each other, with each 1 frame offset and blend in normal mode.

byonik1

Hello,
Is there anyone who, like me, has problems importing MLVs into the MLV App under Catalina (10.15.5)?
When I import via the App or click / drag, the App turns then crashes. A solution ?
A yes, I use the latest version of MLV App (QTv1.11)

Thanks

adrjork

Quote from: Levas on June 04, 2020, 11:09:48 AM@adrjork: Found a workflow in MLVapp that somehow gives ok results (not perfect, because after this fix you can see you deal with the problem discussed in this post)
Dear Levas, thanks for having shared your detailed workflow, I appreciated it, but the result I obtained is still unusable: it actually DOES improve things but doesn't fix them: flickering is better but still there (needs to be fixed with a deflicker), reddish and greenish frames are a problem, but the worse thing is... lines, lines, lines. It gets a little better if I put off Bad Pixels, and also using a temporal denoiser does something more, but the result remains pretty unusable.

Apparently nor the reddeercity method can help me...
Quote from: reddeercity on June 04, 2020, 05:16:38 AMI'm using 2 different MLVFS systems, the first one is the old Fuse/Dokan Quick Mount with mlvfs.dll in the root drive so a simple right click on the .mlv file in windows explore.
Today I downloaded mlvfs.dll (dated 2014) and PFMAP, and I tried a test on Windows 10. The result is again a variant and synonym of "unusable". Main problem is again: lines, lines, lines (and a little flickering, and all the other stuff...)

That's it man... Game over, man :) :) :)

Milk and Coffee

Is there anyway to disable "RAW Correction" by default? It is enabled on all of my clips by default, and "Vertical Stripes" is always set to "Normal." Does MLV app alter the RAW data if the "Vertical Stripes" is always set to "Normal?" With that enabled, it's still exporting RAW right (if I export to cDNG?)
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

masc

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on June 05, 2020, 06:27:04 AM
Is there anyway to disable "RAW Correction" by default? It is enabled on all of my clips by default, and "Vertical Stripes" is always set to "Normal." Does MLV app alter the RAW data if the "Vertical Stripes" is always set to "Normal?" With that enabled, it's still exporting RAW right (if I export to cDNG?)
It is enabled by default, because most cameras need these corrections. Appart from that, this needs nearly no time in processing. As the name says (RAW correction) the RAW data is corrected and the corrected RAW is saved into cDNG. After having exported the cDNG, there is no easy way to correct it afterwards.

You can open all your files in one session, uncheck it for one clip, CTRL+C, CTRL+A, CTRL+V.
OR
You can open one file, uncheck RAW corrections, save the receipt. Load this receipt as default receipt. https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#22-edit
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

All raw corrections leave the data "raw", they are only for fixing defects. Please stop worrying about how raw your image is. DNG is always raw.

2blackbar

I have a suspicion that 5D2 raw black level is wrong in mlvapp, its 1792, this makes the footage a bit green, when i dial it to 1782 then it looks more correct.
Is there a scientific way to check correctly black level ?
So before i post some screengrabs id like to make sure i checked properly.But i noticed it by comparing footage from canon M, it looks too green on 5d2, compared both with same white balance, same lens, same iso and shutter.
I noticed that there is color difference between cameras, red colors on M have ability to go towards purple which is correct and more true to real color i see with my eyes , while 5D2 has orange bias, i corrected 5d2 a bit to be similar to M.Also because M is more true to life, those 2 colours are more red than orange.
Overall from my tests it looks like M has more dynamic range than 5D2 even tho all the papers say its opposite.I could not get similar dynamic range from 5d2 that M gave me on ISO 100 which is native one.Shadows were too dark on 5d2 where restored highlight details were comparable on both cameras.
Id say M performed better because of newer sensor.
Color difference:

ilia3101

What's that gif comparing? I want to see the shots processed with the same settings (caemera matrix on), except white balance (pick from the same point) and match exposure slider as close as possible. There should not be such a big color difference under light such as daylight or tungsten. If it's led light, then ok.

Also 1792/1791 black level is correct. Maybe the EOSM has more infrared sensitivity, causing the blacks to look more magenta and making the 5d2 look green in comparison.

reddeercity

The 5d2 is in bt601 (full range 0-255) color space where the eosM/D5 cams are in rec709 (16-235) .
That's why the 5D2 looks flatter in color , more like film , the M & all D5 cam have more Video cam/HD look with hi-contrast level .
Plus the smaller sensor has small photodiode so it collect less light compared to full frame 
5D2 has 6.14µm pixel pitch size compared to the EOSM of 4.31µm (bigger is better  :D )

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/canon-5d-mark-ii-vs-canon-m
QuoteThis service determines an overall sensor rating, as well as sub-scores for
low-light sensitivity ("DXO Sports"),dynamic range ("DXO Landscape"), and color depth ("DXO Portrait").
Of the two cameras under review, the 5D Mark II provides substantially higher image quality than the Canon M, with an overall score that is 14 points higher.
This advantage is based on 1.6 bits higher color depth, 0.7 EV in additional dynamic range, and 1.1 stops in additional low light sensitivity.

So it the 5D2 has 11.9 DR & the eosM has 11.2 DR , I guess that says it all  ;)

2blackbar

mlv files and jpegs , same settings, matched exposure and white balance
That orange/hotrod color shift is definitely there on 5D2 also green shift is visible on foil, it sdefinitely not green when i look at it, M has more accurate colors.

Comparison with actual paint box
5D2

M

big scale jpgs:
5D2
https://funkyimg.com/i/35sxP.jpg
M
https://funkyimg.com/i/35sxE.jpg

MLV files 14 bit lossless on M and uncompressed on 5D2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14JqFOIy9N8occlpHVuRh6OLACNBLaPaD/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjyh2dvwaiaWmp-b7HkvNFDgqpbAh7G4/view?usp=sharing

Its worth noting that in order to get correct exposure on both i had to open up the lens on 5D2, which leads me to believe that ISO in canons doesnt follow any standards and isnt equal along their cameras or it just has less dynamic range.
Dave 5D2 in order to use 601 need to record mov file, this is raw pattern, and to both files tonemapped 709 is applied so its even.

masc

What are the used lenses? Comparing in LR makes it look nearly identically. M seems to have just a little more contrast because of less DR.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202