MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Luther

Quote from: Ilia3101 on January 09, 2020, 03:54:56 PM
No I meant does anyone know why Adobe image processing looks so much cleaner, it just shows nice grain instead of noise, while MLV App and other raw converters show blotchy colour ugliness.
Oh, I see. I guess it's either because of default chroma denoise or some trickery with the demosaicing (it uses AMAZE, IIRC, but the implementation might be doing something different). They also probably have better color processing and hot/cold pixel removal, which might affect the looks of the noise.
I think using Rawtherapee as a comparison together with ACR would also be useful, since the code is open and RT is very a stable and complete software.

masc

Quote from: Luther on January 11, 2020, 04:22:51 PM
I guess it's either because of default chroma denoise or some trickery with the demosaicing (it uses AMAZE, IIRC, but the implementation might be doing something different).
Somewhere I read in the net that ACR uses a modified AHD demosaic. And this seems to be true, if you choose AHD in MLVApp you get nearly identical artifacts as in ACR. AMaZE looks very (in details) different.

Quote from: Luther on January 11, 2020, 04:22:51 PM
They also probably have better color processing and hot/cold pixel removal, which might affect the looks of the noise.
The noise removal is indeed very nice, and fast compared to MLVApp. For the bad pixel removal, I am not very satisfied in ACR... here I like more our new bad pixel picker function, because it does exactly what the user wants instead of some auto algorithm.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on January 11, 2020, 05:59:03 PM
Somewhere I read in the net that ACR uses a modified AHD demosaic. And this seems to be true, if you choose AHD in MLVApp you get nearly identical artifacts as in ACR. AMaZE looks very (in details) different.

I heard before that AHD is "industry standard" or something, so it's likely. But adobe have been making improvements to their debayer recently, so it's probably a lot better in the newest versions (would like to see a nice comparison of MLV App, latest resolve and latest adobe on a moire shot)

timbytheriver

Hi! Would it be possible to add a clip text-labelling feature? To be able to add a short text note in the clip window to identify clips would add super-shine to MLVApp! :P
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

koopg

Quote from: Luther on October 28, 2019, 05:13:06 AM
It creates a DCP file @koopg? Currently there's no way to input DCP files in MLVApp. Are you using this to get correct white balance? Try a simple 18% gray card... MLVApp has a WB picker.

I requested this before here and here, but upon some reading of the RT code, the Lab feature requires many core functions. Might be really difficult to adapt it to mlvapp.
@2blackbar The feature CIECAM02 in advanced tab can be a better way to bring correct saturation to shadows. Instead of using a "film-like" curve, try to increase "Brightness + Colorfulness (QM)" in CIECAM first. From my tests, this method of correcting exposure adapts shadow/highlight saturation very well already. Sometimes it's not even necessary to use Lab adjustments...
Not just white balance
Its making all colors acuurate.
You are going to have true colors
So i can batch have all clips true color
Ready to be grade evenly

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Quentin

Any chance for DNxHD not scaling the frame size in 1920x1080 ?
Or when smaller, compose on Black ?

I am shooting at 1920x804 at 50FPS.
MLVApp/DHxHD scales the frame size to 1920x1080.

masc

It isn't MLVApp, limiting DNxHD to 1920x1080, it is the codec itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Avid_DNxHD_resolutions
It is better choosing another codec, when you have other aspect ratio than 16:9.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Masc,

I would like to report a bug that I have been experiencing for quite a while with the latest versions of MLVApp, including version 1.10.  When I open a session of say 20 MLV files and after corrections to everyone of them I start exporting them, they all get normally rendered but a few of them do not get normally saved.  In 3 to 5 out of 20 files just the first few frames get saved and the file is just a few MB of size, accordingly.  I tested the ProRes422LT export option but it seems to happen with other export formats too.  There is no rule here - part of the files in a random order get just saved in that way, regardless of the camera that the files were generated with (5D3, EOS-M, 100D).  Therefore, I have to run rendering those shortened files again which is quite a waste of time and pretty annoying.    I tested this on 4 different computers - 2 PCs and 2 laptops and I get this same behavior on all 4 of them. 

Could you please take a look with some of your files?  Thanks.

ilia3101

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 12, 2020, 01:55:44 PM
Hi! Would it be possible to add a clip text-labelling feature? To be able to add a short text note in the clip window to identify clips would add super-shine to MLVApp! :P

Maybe.

Quote from: masc on January 23, 2020, 09:33:42 AM
It isn't MLVApp, limiting DNxHD to 1920x1080, it is the codec itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Avid_DNxHD_resolutions
It is better choosing another codec, when you have other aspect ratio than 16:9.

Yes but Quentin is requesting black bars I think

masc

@IDA_ML: I think this is just possible, if ffmpeg stops working. I have never seen this, and I render really a lot. You are on Windows? Did you close the terminal box by accident?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Yes, I am on Windows 7.  I don't know what you mean by "terminal box".  Is this the black box that opens when every new file starts rendering?  No, I don't close this box, just minimize it.

masc

Exactly this box. If you would close it, you close the tunnel to ffmpeg.

Edit: converted now 14GB MLVs, 20files to 1.7GB ProRes LT on Win8.1 without any issue.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

I'll give it a try again without touching (minimizing) the terminal window.  Thanks.

flostro

Quote from: ilia3101 on January 23, 2020, 01:10:59 PM
... Quentin is requesting black bars I think

In MLRawviewer I used ffmpeg to pad Video that wasn't 16/9 to get DNxHD with black bars

-vf pad=1920:1080:0:(1080-ih)/2

it only works correctly with footage that is 1920 pixels wide, because that was all I needed.
Combined with scaling it could be modified to work with all frame sizes and aspect ratios.

DavidSamish

I've just started using the MLV App and it seems to work, although I am not sure about the best settings/formats for rendering.
My biggest problem is there is no audio track.
I have the mlv_lite, mlv_rec, and mlv_snd modules activated on my D5 Mk1III, with ML Nightly.2018Jul03.5D3123.
I just activated MLV Sound. Was that it? I've got to experiment more...

masc

If MLVApp don't shows a sound track, there is no sound track recorded.

If there would be a best setting/format for rendering, there would just be one. You need to set this up to your needs and for how you use it in your project and with your software.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Quote from: masc on January 23, 2020, 04:17:33 PM
Exactly this box. If you would close it, you close the tunnel to ffmpeg.

Yes, I checked that.  It is best if you leave that box untouched.  Then it works.  Thanks a lot, Masc!

Luther

Hey @Ilia3101, nice progress on the last commits about the raw wb, blue desaturation and changing reinhard to float. Couldn't test yet (might be able next week), but I'm trying to keep track on those change :)

ilia3101

Its not just blue desaturation, it gently desaturates all out of gamut colours with reinhard kind of function (instead of just bringing it to the edge of the gamut). Unfortunately it desaturates green grass a bit right now, need to fix that. Also has some occasional new artifacts (😢

Low light shots are likely to be improved tho

2blackbar

Small tip i found, If You want to use "allow creative adjustments" when you have c-log and lut in use ( cause normally adjustments are locked out until you tick creative adjustments)then set dark range to 0, this way it looks fine again.
This helped me to use highlight reconstruction when lut is in use and recover some detail, when creative adjustments are locked out then you cant recover highlights.

ilia3101

oh highlight reconstruction is disabled? it shoudlnt be. its just a correction

masc

@2blackbar: could you please write which option you click in which order? Tried to reproduce, but "Highlight Reconstruction" is always available.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

When i switch from tonemapped to alexa log-c, then all adjustments above are disabled besides exposure.
Sorry i didnt explain it more clearly.
So when you allow cretive adjustments while using log-c and some kind of lut then image gets darker and overall bad looking, just go to dark range and set it to 0
What i mean is, when You use alexa log-c in preset instead of tonemapped default then yes you can tick highlights reconstruction but it does not work until you enable creative adjustments

So... im thinking, if it works that way then maybe instead of diabling adjustments for clarity , vibrance etc. when using alexa log-c it would be better to just lock dark range at 0 when log-c is chosen and all is good ? We could still use sliders for clarity vibrance and all that

masc

If your bright tones are outside the visible range, you won't see highlight reconstruction. Highlight reconstruction corrects pink highlight to somewhat more natural color, but won't change exposure. What you mean is having "Highlights" working. But for this "math", you'll need to have "Creative adjustments" active.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202