MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Garry,

Please watch carefully!  In MLVApp v. 1.10, the "Transcode and Import" option is the 9-th from top in the File menu.

garry23

IDA_ML

garry23

garry23

Just downloaded the latest version from the first post.

I see the same File screen  ;)

That is no transcode.

IDA_ML

I have the option on my file menu and it works fine on my Win7x64 OS.  Maybe Masc can help you further.

garry23

ilia3101

Happy new year everyone!

Thanks for the very useful advice on archiving @2blackbar @cmh @IDA_ML @yokashin @Ottoga. It was so nice to read. I think I'll get a big SSD just for copying stuff until it gets close to full. And then I will use the M DISCs for more permanent storage, after reading about it I realise they are amazing. I don't like the idea of tape with the stretching. Cloud is also an interesting thing I've never really considered.

Quote from: IDA_ML on January 01, 2020, 04:39:38 PM
Please watch carefully!  In MLVApp v. 1.10, the "Transcode and Import" option is the 9-th from top in the File menu.
Can we rename it to "Transcode and Import non-MLV Raw" so it is more noticable?

Quote from: ZEEK on December 31, 2019, 12:25:49 PM
Gotchya! Wow, I wonder how they got away with actually calling it RAW. Anyway, thanks for the awesome work you guys do with MLV App. It has really, really improved over time thanks to the team/developers like yourself. As a further possibility for MLV App, perhaps a Rec 709 Luma Waveform to adjust exposure more accurately..just a suggestion. Cheers and a Happy New Year! :)

Blackmagic say it's partially debayered, but megapolis (fastcinemadng guy on this forum) found a way to decode it, finding that it's not really partially debayered. It's probably a way of speaking to avoid being sued by rEd. Eventually a open source way to decode it will be created (I hope).

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 31, 2019, 01:15:44 PM
I can also confirm that MLVApp is now so mature and powerful that I am absolutely certain that this is the best RAW processing tool that is available worldwide, at least to my knowledge.  I have been using it not only for video but also for photo (with raw2mlv) lately and I get better results compared to ACR on a regular basis.  Moreover, there are two functions that are of crucial importance to my workflow and are not available in ACR:

1)  Dual ISO that I use quite a lot for landscape work and
2)  Skin tone white balance that solves the natural skin tone problem on a mouse click.

My workflow is now entirely based on MLVApp and all this I owe to the genious work and skills of our developers.  Thank you, guys and keep up this fantastic work also in the New Year and the years to come.

Thank you IDA_ML this is really nice to hear. I agree in some ways. But we still need to sort out camera colour conversion, it's too basic right now.

I have been analyzing the processing a bit more. The whole colour gamut converted with MLV App processing (Y=0.15, Y=0.5, Y=1.0):

They are all supposed to be very even and smooth, but they are not, especially in the blue/violet region. Once it looks smooth, MLV App will be perfect (at least for colours).

And who recognises that light blue colour on the third one ;D

garry23

QuoteCan we rename it to "Transcode and Import non-MLV Raw" so it is more noticable?

Just finding it irrespective of what it's called would be good  :) ;)

Danne

I have another idea. Skip the "transcode" text altogether. Instead allow mlv app to open up supported raw files just like any mlv. But. When selecting files to be opened let there be a question before proceeding if opening as single or a sequenced file.

garry23

@IDA_ML

QuoteHey Garry,

I downloaded mine from post #3595 on page 144 of this thread. 

Error 404 when I try  :(

masc

Quote from: garry23 on January 01, 2020, 05:21:36 PM
Just downloaded the latest version from the first post.

I see the same File screen  ;)

That is no transcode.
Quote from: garry23 on January 01, 2020, 05:39:58 PM
Strange.

I'm on a win 10 64 laptop, xps15. But not a win7  ;)

Not at all strange. It is disabled for the official build, because it is in very early alpha stage.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Danne on January 01, 2020, 06:32:37 PM
I have another idea. Skip the "transcode" text altogether. Instead allow mlv app to open up supported raw files just like any mlv. But. When selecting files to be opened let there be a question before proceeding if opening as single or a sequenced file.
Hm... for files this could work, but what for dng folders? We can open files or folders, but not both in one dialog.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

garry23

Not at all strange. It is disabled for the official build, because it is in very early alpha stage.

Thank goodness for that...I thought I was going mad!!!!  :D

Danne

Quote from: masc on January 01, 2020, 07:13:53 PM
Hm... for files this could work, but what for dng folders? We can open files or folders, but not both in one dialog.
Folders. Nice, didn't know. For stills then? And keep the transcode option only folders?
I mean, the feeling you would get opening a cr2 file without the intermediate step  :)

masc

Quote from: Danne on January 01, 2020, 07:34:39 PM
Folders. Nice, didn't know. For stills then? And keep the transcode option only folders?
I mean, the feeling you would get opening a cr2 file without the intermediate step  :)
Folders for clips, files for stills. Right now it is realized with two buttons in the import dialog, bringing a file or filder dialog.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on January 01, 2020, 05:48:10 PM
I have been analyzing the processing a bit more. The whole colour gamut converted with MLV App processing (Y=0.15, Y=0.5, Y=1.0):

They are all supposed to be very even and smooth, but they are not, especially in the blue/violet region. Once it looks smooth, MLV App will be perfect (at least for colours).

And who recognises that light blue colour on the third one ;D
What exactly does this mean? Bright blue/violet will bring slightly strange colors? Or does this show our problem with cyan tones at WB <4000K?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on January 01, 2020, 08:39:24 PM
What exactly does this mean? Bright blue/violet will bring slightly strange colors? Or does this show our problem with cyan tones at WB <4000K?

I think it shows both problems.

On the last picture, the intense cyan tones are appearing, very close to neutral cool white tones. We need to desaturate colours with high luminance, and blue/violet shades always need to be desaturated. Doing those things will fix all problems.

This all needs to be done around the same stage as matrix and tonemapping. It will be difficult to do, but it is the next big MLV App improvement.

masc

Sounds great... but do you have already any idea how to realize that?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

It will need to use the xyY colour model, as it has no limits, that's about all I know so far. This also has the potential to make MLV App really slow, so it needs to be done carefully, maybe with some 2d lookup tables in xy space. I have a nice .c file where I am experimenting with ways to do it. I will share it soon, it's just a bit messy right now. :)

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Skinny

Hi guys! I love this program! I've probably been using it for a year now. BUT..

Starting with version 1.9, the program crashes when I try to open an MLV file.
So I'm still using version 1.8.

I must say right away that I have semi-working drivers for a video card. This is a rather old laptop and it simply does not have working drivers for modern OS.
But version 1.8 works. Maybe you can somehow fix newer versions for compatibility, etc.?