MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Luther on December 05, 2019, 12:55:11 AM
...Maybe you guys could keep it simple and just stay with the original logo, but redraw on inkscape and try to simplify the design...

I wholeheartedly agree w this since it's already feasible and globally recognized by now! :)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ozcancelik

Hi Ilia,

I made icon/logo that you wont like i guess :)  Because it's not 3d, it's modern like. But thats how it looks. Mac OS users can use dark mode, so i made grayish color for light/dark modes. Also I use my Windows dark mode.

icon" border="0
logo" border="0

light-mode" border="0
dark-mode" border="0

Quote from: Ilia3101 on December 04, 2019, 08:52:36 PM
My thoughts:

- You have a good point about the 'magic' thing

- I want the colour scheme to be based on mostly Red, Green and Blue (because bayer filter has those colours)

- I don't want it to look like an iPhone app (MLV App's name containing 'App' is not enough to justify that)

- I like reflections and 3D-ness, I also the icons in macOS

I would like a new icon.

My original logo is not amazing. It does not relate to MLV or video or image processing in any way, but I think it looks quite nice. And because it is made in Blender you can do stuff like this:

(from 1.0 release)

bouncyball

The original logo is not bad as logo, but it looks not so good in system tray or status bar (win/linux) even in dock on MacOS. It is very complex and not suitable for small resolution at all.

bouncyball

ozcancelik

Quote from: bouncyball on December 05, 2019, 08:36:21 AM
@ozcancelik

I like white ones.
Actually all same. Just background changes for OS dark/light theme simulate. Icon should look similar both dark and light modes so mostly I used gray color. So which white one? :)

Danne

ozcancelik

Quote from: Danne on December 05, 2019, 08:56:32 AM
Maybe something like this(shameless mockup, not centered etc)?

It can be logo but for icon I think  only extension ".MLV" can be text. Also my idea was "RGB with Sliders". Thats what MLV Apps mostly doing.

only-text-with-rgb" border="0

Danne

I like the bottom one.
Why are we changing logo by the way :D? DidnĀ“t follow too closely here...

bouncyball

Slider in this logo was good. Splitting colors above it. I liked it.

There is no need (even not recommended) to have whole application name in logo.

Or this should be done entirely as a letters logo. And this is another story because it must be as clean and visible as possible.

Kharak

Rule Nr. 1 when creating logo: It has to be round.

Look at the logos on your desktop, look at the successful/most recognizable Programs/apps. See any similarities?
once you go raw you never go back

masc

Quote from: Kharak on December 05, 2019, 12:21:18 PM
Really? Here 50% is a rectangle on my desktop (e.g all Adobe products, Qt, MS Office, Keil, Finder, TeamViewer,..).

The last shown proposal was the best I've seen since the discussion started. But I also like the slider splitting the colors. Text would be nice for the about box, for the app icon we don't need it. For files the ".MLV" and the sheet around would be okay IMO.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ozcancelik

Quote from: Kharak on December 05, 2019, 12:21:18 PM

Look at the logos on your desktop, look at the successful/most recognizable Programs/apps. See any similarities?

I think, there is nothing to say "should be" on logos.  It should be just catchy and maybe explain what it does.

Quote from: masc on December 05, 2019, 12:52:58 PM
Really? Here 50% is a rectangle on my desktop (e.g all Adobe products, Qt, MS Office, Keil, Finder, TeamViewer,..).

The last shown proposal was the best I've seen since the discussion started. But I also like the slider splitting the colors. Text would be nice for the about box, for the app icon we don't need it. For files the ".MLV" and the sheet around would be okay IMO.

App icon on Windows taskbar (Just RGB Shown and little slider, maybe borders can be removed)
taskbar" border="0

File extension icon small
small-list" border="0

File extension icon medium
big-list" border="0

Kharak

Sorry for coming off too literal. There are no rules, I was lying.

But more or less all new designs or be it re-designs of logos feature a roundness today, it is the zeitgeist of logos. Just like back in the 90's everything had to be squiggly lines and fonts.

http://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com/evolution-of-brand-logos_52ce76df453e7_w1500.jpg

https://mivvy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Google-Logo-evolution-1.jpg

http://www.templates4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Corporate-Branding-1024x855.png

https://1000logos.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Xbox-Logo-history.jpg

Unless the companies have an established identity in the Logo with Square or hard edged lines or it is a corporation wishing to emit power and wealth, the main features of logo redesigns is towards rounded and simplified designs.

That does not mean you HAVE to do it too, but it might help to come off as a Sodosopa brand, if you wanna attract the cool kids on the block.

I like the designs from ozcancelik, it has roundness and edges, showing the duality of art and technology infused in the MLV App project.

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on December 05, 2019, 12:52:58 PM
Exactly

@ozcancelik
Yes in taskbar the border is really unnecessary

@Ilia3101
What do you think? RGB is there, could be 4 channel bayer RGGB though :P

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: bouncyball on December 05, 2019, 05:00:50 PM
@Ilia3101
What do you think? RGB is there, could be 4 channel bayer RGGB though :P

Ah, that's a valid point. :)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Snobe

I've recently also created few icons designs for the MLV App, but I've added them to Github. As the conversation is ongoing here, I thought I will share them here too.
Maybe someone will like to use them already.

Btw. I like the design with the RGB colors posted earlier, nice job. I would only change the font.

Here are the designs:

Kharak

Is this worth implementing, considering the spirit of openness? It gets the same compression ratio as HEVC, but is Royalty-Free where HEVC is Royalty Bearing.

Supports up to 12 bit 4:4:4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1

To be honest I never heard of this format until just now, I accidentally fell over it reading stuff on Wiki.

Alas, it might add it self to the issue of all the "standardized" codecs out there, so before there were 15 standard codecs, now we have 16...

EDIT: I was reading more on that Wiki page and it seems it is already supported by ffmpeg.

masc

Quote from: Kharak on December 06, 2019, 10:28:36 AM
Is this worth implementing, considering the spirit of openness? It gets the same compression ratio as HEVC, but is Royalty-Free where HEVC is Royalty Bearing.

Supports up to 12 bit 4:4:4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1

To be honest I never heard of this format until just now, I accidentally fell over it reading stuff on Wiki.

Alas, it might add it self to the issue of all the "standardized" codecs out there, so before there were 15 standard codecs, now we have 16...

EDIT: I was reading more on that Wiki page and it seems it is already supported by ffmpeg.
No problem to add... but it is kind of unusable: 200 frames in FHD -> 1 hour, while in H264 it needs a minute.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Well then dont bother implementing.. That is slow..

Can I assume the reason for it being slow compared to h264/h265, being because most GFX cards today have HEVC encode/decoding chips ? Effectively making HEVC the standard?

masc

No idea... just exchanged the H264 command with this one (very close from ffmpeg side) and tried to make a test export... aborted now because time became longer and longer.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Luther

Quote from: Kharak on December 06, 2019, 10:28:36 AM
It gets the same compression ratio as HEVC
Not really. AV1 has much better compression ratio than HEVC. This codec will be the new standard in some years. Google is supporting it, there's even a youtube playlist with some videos compressed with it.
Quote from: Kharak on December 06, 2019, 11:28:50 AM
Can I assume the reason for it being slow compared to h264/h265, being because most GFX cards today have HEVC encode/decoding chips ? Effectively making HEVC the standard?
It is still in development. The code needs to be optimized yet. But, yes, one of the reasons is that CPUs/GPUs don't have specific instructions optimized for it and also that it requires more processing 'steps' compared to H.264.
Just had this same discussion yesterday here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24685.msg223139;topicseen#msg223139

AF-OFF

I have much fun with MLVapp and thus thanks to all devs and others for it!

Since Masc introduced the export-preset in the export settings menu, I sometimes have tried it again (at least when new version came out) but it never worked for me. I'm on Yosemite, Catalina and High Sierra - everywhere the same. I can make one preset, but it disappers on next program start.
(this seems to not be the case with v1.10, it remembers then the presets, but all are the same setting, usually the one I did first, i.e. prores 4444. If I activate another one, like tiff, it has the same prores 444 setting applied)
I really tried some possible ways to get it. What I am doing wrong? Does some of you guys use it on mac without problems? let me know please.

masc

Hm... this feature did not change since it is there. So if you have a problem in 1.9, you MUST have it in 1.10 as well.
You have to use it this way:
1. make your settings in the window
2. press "+"
If you do it the other way, you'll just get the first setting as you described.
I use it on 5 different Macs with different OSX and it works on all.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202