MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

wOW this thing is like magic, just shot 5 seconds raw on ISO3200 , imported MLV and exported as MLV average frame, reimported that new MLV and was blown away - 0 noise and its super easy , thanks guys ! This can also be done with fullres silent pics.

From what i see about 100 frames is enough
What will happen if ill use one photo cloned multiple times and average? Will it do anything to it?

Luther

Quote from: 2blackbar on November 20, 2019, 03:24:58 AM
What will happen if ill use one photo cloned multiple times and average? Will it do anything to it?
Won't have any effect. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_averaging

I've been using HDRMerge for some time on photography, it does the same noise averaging, but while also doing HDR merge. Highly recommend to everyone that likes landscape photography.

DeafEyeJedi

So glad to see this great old averaging trick (Thanks @Danne) being brought into this already remarkable app. This is all scary good stuff!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Dmytro_ua

Is there any way to add more grading tools?
For example, I need to lower saturation in darker areas  (Luminance vs Sat) Not sure, if the name is correct

And smth similar to 3 color wheels for Darks, Mids and Highlights. For example, if I change WB to look ok in the mids, sometimes I get greenish highlights or/and pinkish shadows. It would be nice to have such a possibility.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

masc

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on November 20, 2019, 01:05:22 PM
Is there any way to add more grading tools?

Sure. We can add whatever we like.

For example, I need to lower saturation in darker areas  (Luminance vs Sat) Not sure, if the name is correct

Already implemented.

And smth similar to 3 color wheels for Darks, Mids and Highlights. For example, if I change WB to look ok in the mids, sometimes I get greenish highlights or/and pinkish shadows. It would be nice to have such a possibility.
If you have an algorithm or at least the maths for that, we could complete this feature. The GUI part exists since nearly two years.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Mike2000

I'm using the app, but I am not able to get the right ratio. I should get 1280x544 stretching by 1.67x but the heigh is wrong, I'm using a canon1100d 2:35:1, 1280x326.

cmh

I did a quick search and found this http://filmicworlds.com/blog/minimal-color-grading-tools/
I don't even know if this is an "accurate" implementation but if you feel like experimenting, here's the source code https://github.com/johnhable/fw-public

masc

@cmh: thanks, haven't seen this before. Looks good. With that someone has just to write a C wrapper (our processing is C, but with a wrapper it is compatible).
Then we need some conversions from vector space to RGB and other direction. :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

I don't think there's any hope for accuracy once you start using colour wheels

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on November 20, 2019, 08:30:01 PM
Yes, that's always what I thought in Resolve - so I nearly never used the wheels for projects.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

cmh

It's nice to hear, I didn't know you had the controls ready.
Edit: Are you guys working in L*a*b* color space ?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: masc on November 20, 2019, 08:36:19 PM
Yes, that's always what I thought in Resolve - so I nearly never used the wheels for projects.

I'm with you guys on that thought. Ha.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on November 20, 2019, 08:58:02 PM
I'm with you guys on that thought. Ha.

What do you mean by wrong accuracy?
Can you make a color grading not changing colors, saturation, etc.? If you change anything it's already "inaccurate".
For example, how can you achieve very annoying but still very popular Hollywood filmic look with cold shadows and warm highlights without color wheels? Blue shadows, orange highlights.

masc

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on November 20, 2019, 10:09:32 PM
For example, how can you achieve very annoying but still very popular Hollywood filmic look with cold shadows and warm highlights without color wheels? Blue shadows, orange highlights.
E.g. Gradation Curve.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

cmh

Personally, I meant the maths behind that particular piece of code. At the end of the day, a colorist is making an artistic choice not an "accurate" choice so to speak.
Now how do you implement that wheel and still get granularity, ease of use vs accuracy compared to let's say, typing numbers in a combobox, to take an extreme example.

cmh

ilia3101

I'm not against adding colour wheels, I tried to do it before. But definitely never liked any effects they create.

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on November 20, 2019, 10:09:32 PM
Can you make a color grading not changing colors, saturation, etc.? If you change anything it's already "inaccurate".

There's many things that you can change and it's still accurate, I even think you must change stuff to increase accuracy, as monitors have very little dynamic range compared to real life, and you are trying to recreate the way it really looks, but within that very limited range of brightness. I think curves/contrast are necessary, and a little saturation can be as well.

Another example - white balance. Temperatures other than 6504K on the slider makes colours not be their true values... but it only increases accuracy. The intention of white balance is to match the scene's "white" to the "white" of your surroundings (meaning your monitor's white), which is the white colour your eyes are adapted to. It lets you see the differences between colours correctly.

Quote from: cmh on November 20, 2019, 11:37:57 PM
Found the answer in mlv_blender, xyz to rgb.

Every camera/mlv has an XYZ to (camera)RGB matrix which we must use to convert camera native RGB to any other colour space. Notice it's XYZ to RGB, so it must annoyingly be inverted first, then we can convert from XYZ to some standard RGB space like sRGB or rec2020... You can choose this in processing profile settings.

Also a L*a*b stage could be added for any processing effects that need it.

cmh

Right, makes sense. From sensor's bayer channels, then get stored as XYZ then a transform matrix + secret sauce (aka color science) to any space. Thanks.

garry23

Just a thought.

QuoteAnother example - white balance. Temperatures other than 6504K on the slider makes colours not be their true values...

Don't forget some users may be shooting with an IR converted camera, so colour correction, eg WB, will need extreme shifts and channel swapping.

As a say, just a thought, if one is trying to make this App a killer App  ;)

Danne

Davinci resolve key feature  :P

Not like I am missing creative tools in Mlv App but of course more ways of manipulating color channels are most welcome. I also have a hard time using DR color wheels but I am also a very lazy grader  :P.
Most funny part about DR is that they never put in a white balance picker. I mean, info is all there(rgb) when hovering image but one needs to fiddle with rgb sliders, hovering back and forth.

cmh

I don't know when they added it but there's a wb picker just below the wheels, next to an 'auto' button.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: cmh on November 21, 2019, 10:36:04 AM
I don't know when they added it but there's a wb picker just below the wheels, next to an 'auto' button.

It is there. But I assume it's not RAW

cmh

Compared to raw sliders, it's pretty bad tbh, like all nodes stuff. Reminds me of how bad I need a color checker.
edit: it's wonky but you can use that wb picker and substract it's value to raw wb. It's not ideal.
If the footage is noisy, I apply a blur before using the picker. (I don't do much color grading tho).