MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

@Luther Nice to hear from you again! This attempt is going much better, way more simple. Should be able to do a release quite soon.

Also thanks again for all the links you have sent since whenever you started. I looked back at that RawToAces github link you sent ages ago with the camera spectral data, and it is literal gold, what can be done with it is amazing. I really hope I can find such data for more cameras. In MLV App 2.0 (or whatever), we'll definitely have super accurate spectral colour correction ;)

Luther

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 25, 2019, 12:39:16 AM
@Luther Nice to hear from you again! This attempt is going much better, way more simple. Should be able to do a release quite soon.

Also thanks again for all the links you have sent since whenever you started. I looked back at that RawToAces github link you sent ages ago with the camera spectral data, and it is literal gold, what can be done with it is amazing. I really hope I can find such data for more cameras. In MLV App 2.0 (or whatever), we'll definitely have super accurate spectral colour correction ;)

You're welcome! I think the gamut feature will be great for MLVApp. Thanks for all the work on this awesome software!

Danne

Small bug: When deleting a file from disk in mlv app the next file will not have in and out points refreshed so mlv app remembers the ins and outs from the deleted file.

masc

Oh no... :( hmmm. But I can't reproduce here. Could you tell me howto? I understood you have 2 files in session, and you give both any In and Out frame number. You activate the first clip, delete it and then your (now only) second clip has the In & Out from deleted first clip, right? This is what I did now, but all is as expected this way. Maybe you do it differently. Thanks for posting this!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I´m not using the in and out points. Instead when I delete a file when it automatically goes to the next file it stills shows the frames from the deleted clip in the in and out section. Not refreshed.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

My mistake. I didn´t double click the file I was on so Cut in & Cut out section wasn´t refreshed. Question. Could refresh happen when simply selecting a file or do we need to double tap?

masc

Okay. Puh. (In & Out has stolen some of my nervs in past. It is more complex than it looks like.)  ;D
Simple selecting is needed for - yes - selection... e.g. if you like to export 1st and 3rd clip, you would click on 1st, CTRL/CMD click on 3rd. That is why doubleclicking on a clip is for activating it.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on August 27, 2019, 12:09:26 PM
Okay. Puh. (In & Out has stolen some of my nervs in past. It is more complex than it looks like.)  ;D
;D

KirbyLikes525

@Ilia3101, continued from the 3k thread (https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg219904#msg219904)

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 18, 2019, 01:43:40 AM
Hmm why does it cut off, what do you mean?

The frame capture of the comment below is 3016x1080, not the full 3968x1800 which I'm only pointing out because cDNG export gave me that exact same frame, 3016x1080, and NOT the full 3968x1800 which I only got via ProRes export without resizing to do so. So for post processing purposes, MLV App did not render the full resolution of the 4k mlv file as cDNG. The HEVC portion of my comment didn't have anything to do with the resolution.

Quote from: histor on July 26, 2019, 11:50:44 AM
Fantastic resolution! 3968x1800. Unfortunately the top right corner stays dead.
Frame difference, exaggerated

So, what was the trick? Was it fair? :)

Actual frame size:
https://imgur.com/uTBvWxk
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

ilia3101

Ah yes, thansks for putting it here. I think the LJ92 compression library had an issue where it stops working after a certain width (well I had this issue recently), so maybe bouncyball limited max export resolution to that, but maybe that is not the case. I removed the if statement causing that issue. It may also be caused by the metadata in that MLV being weird.

@bouncyball can you take a look at the MLV file? https://drive.google.com/file/d/17DyCmp6m20Ge0DGGr1JJOeFfnhAYanLo/view?usp=sharing

I'm not sure whats going on.

ilia3101

Quote from: KirbyLikes525 on August 27, 2019, 08:21:14 PM
cDNG export gave me that exact same frame, 3016x1080, and NOT the full 3968x1800 which I only got via ProRes export without resizing to do so

Was that compressed, uncompressed or fast pass?

KirbyLikes525

5D Mark II

ilia3101

Quote from: KirbyLikes525 on August 27, 2019, 09:21:46 PM
Uncompressed

Hmm ok, must be something wrong with the metadata in the MLV. It was an experiment I did with https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.msg219905#msg219905

I guess the MLV writing in that is not done right somehow :/

The real resolution is definitely 3968x1800 though.

KirbyLikes525

Wow, the logistics of getting one shot must be that more difficult with the stitching. How does that work with the subject moving? There was a gentle breeze in the shot and I was none the wiser to the stitching.
5D Mark II

masc

Quote from: KirbyLikes525 on August 27, 2019, 08:21:14 PM
The frame capture of the comment below is 3016x1080, not the full 3968x1800 which I'm only pointing out because cDNG export gave me that exact same frame, 3016x1080, and NOT the full 3968x1800 which I only got via ProRes export without resizing to do so.
It also depends on the app used for importing the DNG. I use two different photo viewers, Xee and Lyn. Xee shows the wrong resolution (3016x1080) while Lyn shows the correct resolution (3968x1800) for exactly the same DNG file.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: masc on August 28, 2019, 08:14:05 AM
It also depends on the app used for importing the DNG. I use two different photo viewers, Xee and Lyn. Xee shows the wrong resolution (3016x1080) while Lyn shows the correct resolution (3968x1800) for exactly the same DNG file.

Importing cDNG into Premiere and viewing in Adobe Camera Raw was 3016x1080 (wrong resolution)
5D Mark II

masc

Importing to darktable brings correct resolution, importing to RawTherapee brings wrong resolution.  :P What ever the reason is... it is "funny".
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Does any colour expert know if the Adobe matrices we all use in open source software are actually neutral? (by neutral I mean accurate as possible, smallest possible error). Or do they have a slight look to them?

Adobe may not want to give everyone best possible matrices maybe ? But then, just a matrix is not the ultimate solution anyway ::)

Luther

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 28, 2019, 05:44:10 PM
Does any colour expert know if the Adobe matrices we all use in open source software are actually neutral?

Not sure Ilia. @Andy600 have previously linked to this research about camera spectral data. And here is the actual matrices. Maybe if you put those on MLVApp and compare with the Adobe matrices you can see how close they are?

ilia3101

Quote from: Luther on August 29, 2019, 12:49:35 AM
Not sure Ilia. @Andy600 have previously linked to this research about camera spectral data. And here is the actual matrices. Maybe if you put those on MLVApp and compare with the Adobe matrices you can see how close they are?

Wow that is a great thread. I don't know how you find all that good stuff. And turns out he's involved with rawtoaces

I have found that spectral data myself recently, but it's normalised so each channel peaks at 1.0, don't know how to deal with that.

From what andy600 says there, adobe matrices are probably very good and what I said was just a conspiracy theory.

masc

Downloaded your clip. Exported. Audio is included. What are your settings? Did you enable audio export?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jpegmasterjesse

The box was greyed out - I'll try to reproduce and let you know.