MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iliush

When exporting dng from MLV App 1.8, in After effects, the focus dots are prezent...

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

iliush

The fix focus dots button is on, and the preview in MLV App is clean., is another way for fixing them?
I forget...windows 10

masc

Please describe your problem as detailed as possible. I can't guess all. You also forgot to tell what export codec and option you've chosen (there are more than one possiblity for dng). But I guess you've chosen DNG fast pass, what means "without any correction".
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

iliush

@masc: this is my last setup
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-D-InJlhuQZjQDOpf0h03lGtZmhGIgvJ
I want a clean raw, without focus dots, for working in Adobe camera raw from after effects.

masc

So I sum up:
- you have a EOS 100D
- you use MLVApp 1.8 on Win10
- you have installed focus pixel maps from dfort (!?) (it seems you've done because viewer is clean, but I don't know. Do you see a difference when disabling focus pixel fix?)
- you enabled focus pixel fix
- you export as DNG lossless
- you import to AE and the dots are back again
So far so good. I think I need a short MLV sample to analyse the problem. Some single frames are enough.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

allemyr

Hi, thanks for a great application! Can i record RAW files aswell or is it MLV only with this app?

Thanks in advance!

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

yourboylloyd

Quote from: masc on August 02, 2019, 07:50:54 PM
MLVApp is for MLV only.

I have a question about this since you bought it up. Is there a way to convert DNG+WAV's to an actual MLV file? Like if I'm using my black magic camera to capture raw, could I somehow have it so that I can edit both my Canon and BMPCC4K footage in MLVapp?

Not really sure if it will speed up my workflow or not. I was just curious if it's possible to turn any video sequence into MLV? And possibly even mock the metadata (manual lens info and what not).
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

masc

No, there is no way to convert dng to mlv. Was discussed very often already.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

iliush

@masc
-I haven't installed the dfort focus map until now ☺️, thanks for tutorial
- yes, enabling/disabling the focus fix in MLV App make the difference, (MLV App come preinstaled with a few focus maps)
   I do some experiments with the dfort maps and without, the results are the same... Just enabling the focus with the 2-nd option (in both situations) , make a better result, but far from perfect.
The good news for me is that exporting prores 4444 (i tried just this) from MLV make the perfect job, so this will be the way.
- this is the shortest clip:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwIXMrW23VFdKhIDNMtDFMmV-VVlxnwu/view?usp=drivesdk

MagicPhotoEvents

Hello,

I am on Ubuntu Xenial.

I have compiled and installed the MLVapp using the dedicated how to.

The MLVapp launch but it crash when I import a MLV video file (580Mb)

Could you help me to solve it please ?

Regards,

Olivier

masc

Thanks for clip.
I imported it to MLVApp. I did not install a additional focus pixel map. With activating the fix (done automatically) the focus dots go away - I would say all, at least I don't see any. Then I exported as CinemaDNG uncompressed and as lossless (2 exports) and opened in Lightroom (should be the same engine like AE). Here I can't see any focus pixels as well.

When I export as CinemaDNG Fast Pass, the dots are visible in Lightroom, as expected.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

I tried MLVApp 1.8 on Windows 10.
When I drop the highlights I get them pink.

Where in AfterFX/Photoshop this doesnt happen.

(If I use any Cinematic Filter, the pink disappears)
Any clue ?

ilia3101

Quote from: yourboylloyd on August 03, 2019, 07:21:49 AM
I have a question about this since you bought it up. Is there a way to convert DNG+WAV's to an actual MLV file? Like if I'm using my black magic camera to capture raw, could I somehow have it so that I can edit both my Canon and BMPCC4K footage in MLVapp?

Not really sure if it will speed up my workflow or not. I was just curious if it's possible to turn any video sequence into MLV? And possibly even mock the metadata (manual lens info and what not).

could try

Quote from: Quentin on August 03, 2019, 11:36:33 AM
I tried MLVApp 1.8 on Windows 10.

Where in AfterFX/Photoshop this doesnt happen.

Any clue ?

try lowering white level value in  raw settings, and enable highlight reconstruction

masc

Quote from: Quentin on August 03, 2019, 11:36:33 AM
Any clue ?
Your highlights are overexposed. Enable "highlight reconstruction". If it doesn't help yet, lower RAW white level. Cinematic filters often raise contrast, so highlights will be pushed into invisible range.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

I think I can tell you what's wrong: you recorded using a 3 deg shutter! You used 29.978fps combined with a shutter of 1/3448sec ( = less than 300 µs!). This exposure is waaaay to short! Ideal would be 1/60sec. If this extremely short shutter varies only a very little bit, you get another brightness (300µs +-300µs would be double brightness vs. completely black), while at 1/60=16ms+-300µs wouldn't make a visible difference. Always use a ND filter to get longer exposures, and also try to use the "best" (smallest) ISO (you used 400, here 100 would be no problem at all).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

I never had this problem, so I can't tell how to get success with that. BUT: in older MLVApp versions (I think < v1.0) we had (under RAW Corrections) an option "Deflicker target". It accepts values from 0 to 9999, if I remember right. We don't know how to use it (that is why it is not there today), we just added the existing code to the app. Maybe we did not have the "correct" test footage for it. You could try with that. If that works... there is a hidden feature in the current MLVApp version: deflicker target is still there, it is just invisible (and untested, no idea if it really works). You can access it with the receipt and session files. These files are XML based. Search for the entry:
<deflickerTarget>0</deflickerTarget>
and change the number. Reload the file and have a look if something changes. As written... no idea if that helps... but maybe you have a try.

Edit: tried with some values... MLVApp accepts them (you'll see when exporting the receipt brings the values) but I don't see any effect on the footage - but I don't know what value has which effect. Maybe my input is just wrong.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

It could work. I tested this with mlvfs set to around 5000, can't remember exactly. Tested to even out hdr files so that was a pretty strong contrasty test file. No idea how above file will work. Maybe @dmilligan (author) still around?

masc

The feature is on when the value is not 0 (as far as I know). The GUI won't show anything when manipulating the XML value. It works 100% in background. If you are interested, you could study the code... if you understand it, please explain and we will make the GUI elements visible again ;)
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/blob/master/src/mlv/llrawproc/llrawproc.c
Search for "deflicker". Code comment says "this is DNG feature only". When searching a bit through the code, I see this function writes some raw metadata (RAWI.raw_info.exposure_bias), which is only used on DNG export. So maybe try that... (this would explain why we don't see anything in GUI)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Hey guys!

Deflicker option was intended for DNG export only. Uses DNG tag feature for exposure compensation for each frame (absolutely needs the DNG processing app to be aware of this tag, ACR does).

bb

bouncyball

In MLVFS this should work as Danne said.

Edit: not sure about success of this particular case though.