MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

it is very importand to see the waveform/rgb parade etc while color grading.i find the waveform window very small. is it possible to increase the size of it or give and option for floating or something like that
5D Mark III - 70D

ilia3101

@Luther i just noticed this post. I always miss things.

Quote from: Luther on May 28, 2019, 10:27:10 PM
I have no idea about those questions Ilia. In my mind I always thought that color conversion is something complicated and often not precise, so the simplest solution should always be the best one.

Colour conversion in RGB is precise from one space to another (just a matrix transform). But converting from camera sensor data to any actual colour space is not precise for sure.

I noticed you seem to be using XYZ and then converting to other space, right? For example, I see you got the ACES matrix from here (XYZ-to-AP0). Wouldn't be better to just use right away the intended color space?

Well the actual image doesn't go in to XYZ space (unless you choose it as gamut for processing), XYZ is just used as a middle point in calculations for generating the matrices. It is normal to do that I think, as most colour spaces' matrices are defined from/to XYZ. Could use any space as a reference point for calculations, but it would need different matrices.

And thanks for the link, I don't remember where I got the matrix 😂

Might be a good idea to request help on ACES Central. They might have the answers about your white point questions.

Ah yes good idea

@andy kh I agree it would be nice if the waveform expanded with the sidebar, but I think masc didn't like it getting pixelated (I think I remember this from some discussion in 2017 :) ).

masc

Quote from: andy kh on May 29, 2019, 05:42:51 PM
it is very importand to see the waveform/rgb parade etc while color grading.i find the waveform window very small. is it possible to increase the size of it or give and option for floating or something like that
Quote from: Ilia3101 on May 30, 2019, 02:04:50 PM
@andy kh I agree it would be nice if the waveform expanded with the sidebar, but I think masc didn't like it getting pixelated (I think I remember this from some discussion in 2017 :) ).
Correct, Ilia. In general: no problem to make waveform / rgb parade larger... if +5sec per image is fast enough... until now I did not like this at all, because nobody could work with this - that is why this does not exist ;) Or we could just stretch it - but then you could count pixels and won't have more information.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

I just want it to scale the histogram/waveform image, I don't mind if it goes a little blurry or pipxelated. No need to render it at higher resolution if it's slower. (my opinion)

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on May 30, 2019, 08:40:18 PM
... I don't mind if it goes a little blurry or pipxelated. ...
It will get very blurry and ugly.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

On a hidpi linux 13 inch it looks like this:

I can barely see it. I have 1.5x font scaling + sidebar stretched.

Mockup with nearest interpolation:

Ugly but I prefer it even that way.

theBilalFakhouri

masc

This week I found a bug related to focus pixel fix feature and got it fixed now.
-> if "Create Mapp Files" was enabled or/and a Mapp file was already created, "fix focus pixels" did not work always.
-> Workaround: disable "Create Mapp Files" and delete Mapp files, load MLV again
-> If you are able to compile MLVApp, using Mapp files + fix focus pixels works now. Or just wait for next offical release.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Nice!
Question. Aborting export stops processing and erases ongoing file. I would prefer if the file was stopped and then kept for previewing purposes.
I sidestep working is to force quit Mlv App instead of aborting which seems to send a kill ffmpeg signal and the file will be stopped but viewable.

masc

Quote from: Danne on June 14, 2019, 10:25:32 AM
Nice!
Question. Aborting export stops processing and erases ongoing file. I would prefer if the file was stopped and then kept for previewing purposes.
I sidestep working is to force quit Mlv App instead of aborting which seems to send a kill ffmpeg signal and the file will be stopped but viewable.
Can be changed easily. Maybe I create a checkbox in menu for that. For now, see MainWindow.cpp line 2349 in current revision - comment it out and you're done.

Edit: I'll just deactivate this and then all 4 different export pipes do the same.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Short infos:
Deleting for aborted export files is now disabled.
And bouncyball found the ideal solution for the "focus pixel fix + mapp" problem. Thx!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Nice. Will check later. Is the file viewable too after aborting? Header data is applied when sending kill signal on mac but otherwise not.

EDIT: Tested, working. Great!

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on May 30, 2019, 09:48:54 PM
Ugly but I prefer it even that way.
Hm... I don't like ugly. So I tried to double the precision for waveform monitor. And resizing transformation is set to "smooth". Looks not so bad I think, but needs a bit more time for processing - at least if the scope is bigger or if set to waveform / rgb-parade.

Hope you like it and can live with that. The change was bigger than expected. ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

reddeercity

Checking the export from mlv -> dng with 3x1 4k (4064x590) 5D2 , just notice when exported the frame display is
the correct un-squeezed resolution (4064x1770) but the metadata says 4064x590 with  exiftool , which of course
has a smaller data size . Nice going , good job ! Used mlv_rec , I thought this only work with mlv_lite .
So I looked closer at the metadata and notice
MLV App is writing 

Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Subfile Type                    : Full-resolution Image
Image Width                     : 4064
Image Height                    : 590
Bits Per Sample                 : 10
Compression                     : Uncompressed
Black Level                     : 112
White Level                     : 1013
Default Scale                   : 1 3

and I see "Default Scale : 1 3"
so I check a crop_rec 2784x1160 from my 5D2 and it's says
Default Scale                   : 1 1
Which has a bigger data size .
Anyways imports in to Adobe After Effect with out any problems , and displays the correct resolution frame size (4064x1770)
:D

Danne

I got a question. Is it possible for Mlv App while exporting file to also show the preview window of the file being exported? Right now it´s the first file being exported that is what we are seeing until all files have been exported. Maybe there´s a not to difficult way of instead having the first frame of the actual file being exported showing? Of course this is a nitpicking feature but still nice.

masc

This should be possible. I just disabled preview for maximum export speed.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I see. Maybe enable preview after each export, let the first frame appear, then disable while exporting until next file and so on?
Prolonging this idea, a moving preview window following export frames like in after effects as optional would be nice too ;)  8) :P

marcelolippi

Guys, working with 4.5k 2.35: 1 aspect with the eosm Danne build, I can apply the mask of focus points of dfort or only with the formats rewired, mcm, 16: 9 etc.? Help me, maybe I don't understand, thanks

masc

There are focus pixel maps (from dfort) for all those presets. Just download maps, drop maps on app and switch focus pixel fix on. With some luck, the maps you need are already installed in MLVApp and you just have to open the MLVs (see last posts from zeek).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ricardopt

Hi everyone!

Sort of a newbie question... i've been using mlvapp and normally i choose a "color preset" and do some fine tuning after, is there a way to bypass the "colour presets" (standart/tonemapped, film etc) and export in a kind of "raw" format? English is not my native language so im hoping im getting all the wording correctly.

Thanks

masc

Quote from: ricardopt on June 19, 2019, 10:25:36 AM
... i've been using mlvapp and normally i choose a "color preset" and do some fine tuning after, is there a way to bypass the "colour presets" (standart/tonemapped, film etc) and export in a kind of "raw" format?
This is no preset, this is the processing profile. You can bypass it by setting to "Linear", but I am sure you won't like it. At the point of using the profiles, it is too late for getting RAW, because debayering has been done already. If you like to export RAW, you can choose DNG export codec and all processing is disabled (except RAW Corrections).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

For true raw you need dng. Or else white balance is burnt in and other things. Closest signal to raw I think is to export some log like cineon and try to get as neutral white balance as possible. Then again, color handling, tonemapping and other stuff also added from Mlv App might not match the following NLE you are importing files to. If closer source accuracy is important then go for dng.

masc

Quote from: Danne on June 19, 2019, 10:52:05 AM
If closer source accuracy is important then go for dng.
... and do all corrections manually in your NLE/other grading tool (e.g. rebuild a correct camera matrix,...).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Color matrices are read in NLE like resolve isn´t it? Not forward matrices but the other one I think...