MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olofen

Great Masc  ;D ;D

...and I who just thought I had to switch on the Dual ISO button!
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

Quote from: olofen on February 20, 2019, 07:05:22 PM
...and I who just thought I had to switch on the Dual ISO button!
In general... yes... and then the fun begins! Without correcting some parameters dual iso files should look 100% identical. But then you can push things much harder until you see artifacts.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

DeafEyeJedi

Excellent pointers @masc and here's what you can do with your files @olofen via MLV App...

Obviously the Dual-ISO shadows are cleaner with the color noise. Must been hella cold out there and yet I could use some snow.  ;)

Also noticed your Dual-ISO file didn't give MLV App the correct metadata (should be ISO 100/**** & not just 100) so which build did you use to shoot this w 5D3.123?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tigs

Quote from: togg on February 20, 2019, 01:01:26 PM
Nope, was asked multiple times and it is very complex to realize. Not worth it, there're alternatives.

Thanks for answering. I tried to search the forum for a few days, I could not find any answers. Decided to ask here.

I am aware of mlrawreview and fast cinemaDNG process, which is a demo. Are there any other cDNG players? I like the mlraw viewer a lot, and quite satisfied with. I am just a fraid some day it will become obsolete.

Thanks

olofen

Thank you DeafEyeJedi (sorry for misspelling before...),
About the build - it is the Nightly.2018Jul03.5D3123

PS not that cold - a couple of centigrades above!!!
/ olof 😀
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

togg

Quote from: tigs on February 20, 2019, 09:33:19 PM
Thanks for answering. I tried to search the forum for a few days, I could not find any answers. Decided to ask here.

I am aware of mlrawreview and fast cinemaDNG process, which is a demo. Are there any other cDNG players? I like the mlraw viewer a lot, and quite satisfied with. I am just a fraid some day it will become obsolete.

Thanks

Davinci Resolve is the best. If your computer can afford it!

megapolis

@tigs
QuoteI am aware of mlrawreview and fast cinemaDNG process, which is a demo.
Fast CinemaDNG is fully functional player for DNG, CinemaDNG, Blackmagic RAW DNG 3:1 and 4:1, MLV. Trial period is 6 months and you can always download and reinstall the latest version of the player. There are no restrictions for the player.

bouncyball

Quote from: megapolis on February 24, 2019, 06:03:37 PM
... There are no restrictions for the player.
Except it absolutely requires powerful NVIDIA(only) card and... ;) there is no long awaited Linux version yet.

megapolis

@bouncyball
It's not straightforward to port complicated solution from Windows to Linux. We need to port not only GUI, but also full GPU image processing SDK. We are working on that, sorry for the delay.
We do need NVIDIA GPU to offer high performance solution.
Soon we will release new SDK with less requirements for GPU memory, so any NVIDIA GPU will be fine.

bouncyball

Quote from: megapolis on February 25, 2019, 05:14:46 PM
Soon we will release new SDK with less requirements for GPU memory, so any NVIDIA GPU will be fine.
Cool.

AF-OFF

Playing back some clips from 50d (magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2018Oct10.50D109) and eosM (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb28.EOSM202) in this great software, I noticed huge playback speed differences. the 50d clips played back at 14-24 fps, while eosM played similar (res bitdepth) footage at 6-8 fps. in both cases all cpu's were at 100% .
how come? has anyone noticed something similar?

masc

Without knowing your footage, I think the difference will be lossless vs. uncompressed. Lossless compressed clips have to be decompressed. This needs some time. You could export your EOS M clips as uncompressed MLV and test again. I bet it runs at the same speed then.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

AF-OFF

Quote from: masc on March 04, 2019, 08:03:03 AM
Without knowing your footage, I think the difference will be lossless vs. uncompressed. Lossless compressed clips have to be decompressed. This needs some time. You could export your EOS M clips as uncompressed MLV and test again. I bet it runs at the same speed then.
Thank's masc for the tip!
did a recording with 14bpp uncompressed (with Danne's march04 build) .
at res of 1984x1322 average 7fps,
50d 1984x1078 14bpp uncompressed plays back at 12-18 fps

all cpus at max on playback with either footage

Danne

Different resolutions? Do same res and upload the mlv files if they differ.

AF-OFF

uploaded short versions of both clips here :
https://we.tl/t-gFgEmBbZas

I apologize for not doing a strait forward test resolution wise in the first place.
Will do again ASAP... have to leave now.

masc

@AF_OFF: Downloaded your files.
50D: 1568x1046 = 1.6MPix
M: 1984x1322 = 2.6MPix
The higher the resolution, the slower the playback.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

AF-OFF

did a quick test and you are right Danne & masc !
the playback speed is identical. I found a 2.35:1 for both, which was (limited through 50ds 1548x672  14bit . On eosM I used Dannes 1080p mcm preset .the playback jumps at this res between 12-24 fps for 24fps footage.Sorry , I was sleeping not to see the obvious, how much the resolution matters, with mlv. so much data clouding every pixel. increase the pixel count, the total data rises dramatically.
mlv app did make a big change in my workflow. simplified and clarified
thanks a lot to all and masc building that supreme bridge to the ML raw_video feature

theBilalFakhouri

I got an Idea which I think will be very useful , If I shot a Dual ISO video and I don't want to process it I want only The base ISO in the footage; I don't need the second ISO and process it then make the Two ISOs in single High Dynamic Range RAW dng like it does in MLV App and takes a lot of time, so In this case I shot in Dual ISO for back up only (If the high dynamic range needed) maybe it's not necessary to use and merge the second ISO at all only I want to extract the Base ISO footage and its will look like a footage without Dual ISO (Ignore quality loss and aliasing because mostly we will shoot in 1x3 mode).

So is this possible?

Danne

Isn't dualiso two isos in one image file? Extracting only one iso would still get only a half res image?

theBilalFakhouri

Yes, by merging the two ISOs only the midtone will Have the full details but in Shadows and Highlights the quality will be the half because it's completely blown out in the second ISO and we will get them back in the Base ISO , and the same thing in the Shadows completely black in Base ISO and we will restore it in the Second ISO unlike the area in-between Shadows and Highlights in the Base and second ISOs there are some details by merging them it will restore the most of not all the details, that's why I have understood . .

But in 1x3 Mode we have more Pixels we can extract The Base ISO only and downscaled it to act like 3x3 then we will get back the details But Up scaling instead of down scaling you will lose the half quality of course and you can restore some of it by merging the two ISOs so extracting the Base ISO is only useful for Down sampling.

Danne

I see. Missed the part about anamorphic(1×3 pixel binning).

masc

No idea how we could "extract" only one of the isos in dual iso clips. What happens with the unused lines? Skipping won't work (-> black lines). So do I copy the 1st two lines to line 3&4 and so on? I think this would look not very nice.

Btw: for everybody who is able to compile: MLVApp can export HDR footage now. You won't see what you get in the viewer, but ffmpeg export will blend it, if this new option is chosen.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Very cool feature. Works with tblend average filter through ffmpeg. Auto differs from non HDR files too so mixing files is no problem. Practically no speed difference exporting hdr or non hdr files. Suggest to use 48 fps or above 30 fps to reduce possible ghosting.

Starclassic

I'm trying to get Cinelog output for MLV App? I tried BMDFilm then use conversion lut "BMD_to_Cinelog" but got an error message saying file too long or wrong header. Any work around? I love Cinelog and would like to use it in MLV App for faster turn around projects.

masc

Quote from: Starclassic on March 09, 2019, 05:43:58 PM
I'm trying to get Cinelog output for MLV App? I tried BMDFilm then use conversion lut "BMD_to_Cinelog" but got an error message saying file too long or wrong header. Any work around? I love Cinelog and would like to use it in MLV App for faster turn around projects.
Cinelog is commercial and I don't have it. So I am not able to see what you are doing. What kind of LUT is that? Is it a .cube 3D LUT? As I understood cinelog is more than just a LUT. Could you open that in a browser and see if it is correct to the specification?
If MLVApp tells "File with invalid header or file is too long.", this means that the LUT is not correct: there are more values included than the header of the file told before, or no value at all is included.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202