MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbytheriver

Quote from: Ilia3101 on February 14, 2019, 06:27:25 PM
and never underexpose :D

Absolutely! +1.5 is the way to go. Thanks for the info about the sliders – I didn't know that. :)

Tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on February 14, 2019, 06:27:25 PM
@masc Finally tried the HSL adjustments: they're amazing!!! There is the ability to fine tune it, unlike rawtherapee's HSL adjustments where moving the mouse one pixel changes the hue by 180 degrees already. What we have in MLV App is a usable interface with controls that are not horrible, very rare in open source image editing. Thanks for all the great features you have added recently.
Glad you like it, as it is initially your project. ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

@Ilia3101 @masc

Would it be possible to add a False Colour overlay option to MLV App – or is this voodoo?  :o

Thanks!

Tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

Quote from: timbytheriver on February 15, 2019, 10:11:31 AM
Would it be possible to add a False Colour overlay option to MLV App – or is this voodoo?  :o
What exactly do you mean with that?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

https://timeinpixels.com/false-color-plugin/

It maps various exposures visually – like an overlay in hi-end monitors! :)

There is way you can do it in Photoshop detailed by user 'crifida' in the comment section of this article: https://wanderingdp.com/cinematography/cinematography-school-lighting-ratios-101/
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

ilia3101

False colour is literally some if statements for brightness of a pixel. But what's the use?

timbytheriver

For on-set monitoring it shows the relationship between where certain values are 'placed'. Very useful for 'seeing' lighting ratios. E.g. Key to Fill, where skin tone values are. The various false colour values can be adjusted to suit the cinematographer. In a post production workflow you can still use the false colour to assess the relative brightness levels of subjects.

This explains it better than me:  https://wanderingdp.com/cinematography/cinematography-school-lighting-ratios-101/
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

@timbytheriver:
do you know this page?
https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/LUTCalc/index.html

Here you can create a false color LUT as you like to have it. Generate it, load it into MLVApp's LUT slot and see what happens. Should do the trick! ;)

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

@masc Many Thanks! That looks a very clever way of doing it! :)

What camera and gamma settings did you use in the first box?

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

I used general, rec709, sRGB. No idea if that is correct, but the LUT is the last step in processing, so camera type doesn't matter. The viewer should be sRGB and we export to rec709. That's why I've chosen this setup. But again: that might be wrong.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

Great, thanks! I will do some experiments.

Is this looking correct?

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

Hm... completely different from what I did yesterday, but maybe more correct. I now tried this, and it looks plausible so far. Maybe Ilia can look at this!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

Can't seem to get any clipped areas to show Yellow or Red – even if I push them off the scale.

Are you saying I should be in sRGB instead of Tonemapped for the working space in MLV App?
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

No, what you set before doesn't matter. The viewer itself is always sRGB. So if you push it you should see something. I get it orange here in highlights.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k33mkf3hk3kj4r/FalseColor_sRGB_LUT.cube?dl=0
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

Thanks masc. Highlight false colour seems to be working when I use your LUT! Maybe I did something wrong...  :o

Cheers!
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

ilia3101

Tone mapped is sRGB, it just doesn't clip to 255 easily. You could use the sRGB profile if you want more clipping 🤕

And for the lut generator, I think sRGB is what you should use as the viewer is assumed to be sRGB.

timbytheriver

Thanks @Ilia3101 :)

@masc Could you post a complete screenshot of your LUT calc settings please? Whenever I generate a LUT the highlight clippings (orange and red) still don't show! Only your LUT works...

Many thanks!

Tim

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

tigs

Is there a way to play the cinemaDNG files/folders? I have been using the original mlrawviewer 1.4.3 to play the cinemaDNG files (folders) from the blackmagic pocket camera without any issue. I just drag-and-drop the folder over the mlrawviewer, and it will start to play. I would love to be able to do the same with this app.

thanks

togg

Quote from: tigs on February 20, 2019, 02:49:36 AM
Is there a way to play the cinemaDNG files/folders? I have been using the original mlrawviewer 1.4.3 to play the cinemaDNG files (folders) from the blackmagic pocket camera without any issue. I just drag-and-drop the folder over the mlrawviewer, and it will start to play. I would love to be able to do the same with this app.

thanks

Nope, was asked multiple times and it is very complex to realize. Not worth it, there're alternatives.

olofen

Hi,
I just used DualPixel for the first time
Unfortunately I did not get the result I wanted...
I use a mk III and compared two exposures - one with and one without Dual Iso
Dual Iso was set to +2 EV
In MLV app 1.5 I clicked on force on The Dual Iso file and then set it to on
Then I processed the two files (that looked identical in MLV...) to two H264 movies, opened them in Photoshop and compared
BUT I cannot see any difference in the shadows!!!
What did I do wrong?
/ olof ☹️
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

DeafEyeJedi

Maybe share some trimmed samples of your original MLV shot in Dual-ISO for us to see and test with @olofen?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

olofen

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on February 20, 2019, 05:16:37 PM
Maybe share some trimmed samples of your original MLV shot in Dual-ISO for us to see and test with @olofen?

Here you are DeaEyeJedi, really hope you can see something: https://we.tl/t-B4Mp6v3JEj

EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

Quote from: olofen on February 20, 2019, 04:50:31 PM
Hi,
I just used DualPixel for the first time
Unfortunately I did not get the result I wanted...
I use a mk III and compared two exposures - one with and one without Dual Iso
Dual Iso was set to +2 EV
In MLV app 1.5 I clicked on force on The Dual Iso file and then set it to on
Then I processed the two files (that looked identical in MLV...) to two H264 movies, opened them in Photoshop and compared
BUT I cannot see any difference in the shadows!!!
What did I do wrong?
/ olof ☹️
How did you process the two files? If you just enable dual iso, and do nothing more and export to h264, you will loose all data you got before. If you use e.g. the lighten slider = 75 (pushing shadows) you will see a huge difference. I set sharpen to 100 to make the effect more visible.

Without dual iso:

With dual iso:

See the noise in the shadow left and below the tree.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202