MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Please try out if it works for you. There should be 2 buttons now: Skip (does the same as before) and Abort (aborts the opening process).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

DeafEyeJedi

Nice fix @masc and is this something I'll have to compile?

If so, it's time to go back to @Danne's scripting magic with setting up an environment on my MBP.

It's prolly already built but may need to update in order to have it run properly.  :)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

masc

Yes, you'll have to compile... I think that's not enough for v1.6 :D
Danne made a nice compiler app. It is linked on our github page.

Btw: cheers... today was the 20.000th offical download!  8)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on February 02, 2019, 07:33:15 PM
Yes, you'll have to compile... I think that's not enough for v1.6 :D
Danne made a nice compiler app. It is linked on our github page.
Nightly builds ???

Quote from: masc on February 02, 2019, 07:33:15 PM
Btw: cheers... today was the 20.000th offical download!  8)
Woww

70MM13

if you guys start doing nightly builds, you'll soon have your 20 millionth download ;)

Rx3210

Greeting Author,
I am new to this. I installed the app on my Linux mint successfully. I imported the mlv file and played it but it was lagging. now if I want to export it to any file format as in mov or mp4 what is the correct export setting that solves the lag?

Cordially,
Rami

masc

Quote from: Rx3210 on February 03, 2019, 05:36:38 PM
Greeting Author,
I am new to this. I installed the app on my Linux mint successfully. I imported the mlv file and played it but it was lagging. now if I want to export it to any file format as in mov or mp4 what is the correct export setting that solves the lag?

Cordially,
Rami
What do you mean with lagging? On most machines you won't get realtime preview in the viewer. Export to what you need.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: Rx3210 on February 03, 2019, 05:36:38 PM
Greeting Author,

Cordially,
Rami

Export and see. Ask a harder question next time.

70MM13

i just finished regrading a video i did last year with mlvapp, but this time with linear gamma, and it looks stunning!

doing it made me wish for precise control for the curve points.  possible to use arrow keys (maybe with some way to select them first without moving them, like maybe shift-click?)

1 single pixel movement makes a very big difference in linear mode.  this would be really helpful for sure!

i'll post the video soon.

PS: i think vegas would prefer 8 bit PNG.  possible to have both options?

masc

Quote from: 70MM13 on February 05, 2019, 01:51:00 PM
...doing it made me wish for precise control for the curve points.  possible to use arrow keys (maybe with some way to select them first without moving them, like maybe shift-click?)

1 single pixel movement makes a very big difference in linear mode.  this would be really helpful for sure!
PS: i think vegas would prefer 8 bit PNG.  possible to have both options?
Have you tried stretching edit dock horizontally? The wider it gets, the more precise the curves tool should be.
For 8bit PNG I'll have a look later today.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

70MM13

excellent, thanks!

yup, i use the dock on a separate monitor at maximum size.  it's workable, but the precision required for nonlinear grading would make "nudging" points very desirable :)

Lars Steenhoff

How difficult would it be to make MLV app read DNG files?   

ilia3101

Very hard currently, everything in MLV App is built around MLV and it's metadata.

One mad idea: if we make the methods of mlvObject_t replaceable (put function pointers inside), we could create some code that emulates the methods and acts like an MLV, but really is reading DNGs.

This would be amazingly fun, but a lot of work, so no DNG in MLV App I think. That is for DNG App :D

70MM13

here's a new extreme test i did with danne's fantastic dual iso build, along with linear grading in mlvapp, producing unbelievable results!

it works very well to test demosaicing also, as the ultimate test.  nothing works on it perfectly (yet!) ;)

look with 100% zoom at the light bulb...

the dynamic range in this shot is beyond what i thought possible with the 5d3.  that crazy bulb is the only light source in a black scene, and the lens on it magnifies the intensity but it doesn't put out much illumination, so you've basically got a large shockingly bright point source in a dark scene.

included is the receipt for the linear grade i did in mlvapp.

PS: i found a workaround for my difficulties in grading with the curve in linear mode, and it's so simple!  drop the DPI way down on my gaming mouse while adjusting the curve.  the button was right under my finger the whole time! :P

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17XpfbCAVHScMf9FEPNDttZj66gAS0s1b

reddeercity

Can I request the width stretch of 3.0x please , working on a new pinning mode on the 5d2 (still need some work yet)
in 3xcrop_mode(5x zoom) I found how to configure for Tall mode for horizontal stretch  (1376x2098 @ 23.98) = 4128x2098 @ 23.98
this is so much better , can't see any aliasing or moiré pattern "0" , changed the pinning mode in 3xcrop to the same as 1:1 FHD
so full width view ( well almost 4128 of 5632)

RAW-046_4152x2099.png
Original DNG 1376x2098 RAW-046.DNG

Here a small sample 354Mb mlv

Danne

Post code and registrys changed please.
Seems to me you got the 1x3 binning working.

masc

Quote from: reddeercity on February 10, 2019, 08:32:34 AM
Can I request the width stretch of 3.0x please , working on a new pinning mode on the 5d2 (still need some work yet)
in 3xcrop_mode(5x zoom) I found how to configure for Tall mode for horizontal stretch  (1376x2098 @ 23.98) = 4128x2098 @ 23.98
this is so much better , can't see any aliasing or moiré pattern "0" , changed the pinning mode in 3xcrop to the same as 1:1 FHD
so full width view ( well almost 4128 of 5632)
This are great news, reddeercity! I would be so thankful to try that out on my 5D2 as well - I tried getting your 2.5K setup to work yesterday evening using ADTG module (but unfortunately without success, camera crashed, each time at another register when changing the values).  :'(

But now back to your request: 3.0x horizontal stretch is there since v1.5. If the file has the right metadata the setup works automatically. If not, you have to setup height stretch factor to 0.33x. MLVApp always upsamples since v1.5, so a height stretch factor of 0.33x is realized as width stretch factor of 3.0x. In older versions you can do this manually for ffmpeg export by entering your desired output resolution (frame is stretched once only on export, so no quality loss). Maybe we should add a information label somewhere, which shows the resolution after stretching.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on February 10, 2019, 08:40:10 AM
Post code and registrys changed please.
Seems to me you got the 1x3 binning working.

Agreed. No reason why you couldn't. Please as it could help give us clues/hints for other cams.

Quote from: masc on February 10, 2019, 11:10:36 AM
This are great news, reddeercity! I would be so thankful to try that out on my 5D2 as well - I tried getting your 2.5K setup to work yesterday evening using ADTG module (but unfortunately without success, camera crashed, each time at another register when changing the values).  :'(

That's a real bummer. Once I get ahold of my buddy whom owns a 5D2, will let you know and we'll have a run at 'em!

On a separate topic, after some fiddling w MLV App some more overnight... I find myself keep wishing if we had a feature that would allow us to see 'Before/After' similar to how we can do in ACR when pressing 'P' back 'n forth to see the differences in results of grade. It would only apply to the ones that have been modified. I may be spoiled by Adobe though.

Seems like this would be possible on your end but just won't be able to use the letter 'P' since it's already occupied for to show Parade from within this app. I know we can have a similar way to achieve this by unchecking the box for Enable RAW Correction. But it completely disables to entire correction rather than a particular piece that needs to be fine-tuned.

Meanwhile, I'm currently compiling MLV App Masters via mlv_app_compiler (Thanks @Danne!). Will let you know once it's up and ready for me to try out the latest 'n greatest.  :)

*EDIT*

Done. Compiled w ease. Now I can see the Bad Pixel Fix is enabled 'OFF' upon opening it. Same goes for the 8-bit PNG Sequences per @70MM13's request. This feels really good.

Finally, I can check this one off and try to catch up w the rest of my To-Do list re: ML. Actually @dfort's next as I'll need to get some work done for his EOSM2 porting project.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

masc

@DeafEyeJedi: yes... you got it! :)

This before/after feature was requested already some time ago. You can have it right now (okay, not so simple like in LR) by Ctrl+C; Ctrl+Alt+R and to come back Ctrl+V. Yes I know... a little stupid to do so, but works.
In the end, implementing the feature would have more or less the same speed (sometimes a little slow, depending on the used parameters). Resetting all parameters might not always be a good idea: debayer, transformation, etc. ... so this would be a reduced parameter set to be reset, I think. Maybe group boxes Processing, Details, HSL, Toning, Lin. Gradient, Filter & LUT.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

70MM13

and even better to have receipt slots!

just had to get that in there  :P

just sayin'  8)

masc

Quote from: 70MM13 on February 10, 2019, 09:41:08 PM
and even better to have receipt slots!
Technically this is not too hard to implement. But I still have no good idea how to present this to the user and how to integrate it into the UI. I like to have it:
- easy to use
- best: no preview loading times for the elements
- good integration into GUI
I tried out some solutions, but I did not like it at all, so I deleted all this again. And both, Resolve and LR, are not really good here too. So I don't know where to steal the idea... LOL
5D3.113 | EOSM.202