MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

Quote from: 70MM13 on January 16, 2019, 10:12:36 PM
i've gotta say, it never works for me either.  i stopped trying long ago.

Probably was still broken when you stopped.

Some time ago it had a problem where it only worked for 14 bit footage, but that is now fixed. Try it. If it does not work send us a file.

Same for you @togg, sample file would be great

masc

I have testclips from many camera's and they are working all - except one single file doesn't, but another file from same camera type works well. Not working files help us to debug and analyze.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Lars Steenhoff

Can we make visual markers for in and out points in the timeline?

That way its easy to see the range of in and out cuts

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on January 18, 2019, 04:05:06 PM

+1
If we can also adjust the range from these markers it will be great too.

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on January 18, 2019, 04:05:06 PM

I wanted to do this since a long time. But there is no standard element which allows to do so. Atm we use already a modified QSlider element, because the Qt standard element don't allows all we want to do with the element. I don't want to say it is impossible to implement that... but have a look into the QtDoc what QSlider is able to do already - and we need around 3x the functionality. It will lead to implementing a very complex GUI element ourself, with all neccessary user and api events. So if someone is motivated in doing so, feel free to help.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on January 18, 2019, 08:24:34 PM
This is what I could find, don't know if its helps because I don't have experience yet with qt

https://www.qtcentre.org/threads/64192-Timebar-Widget-What-is-the-best-approach-to-implement-this-in-Qt
Hm, what they write is more or less how I created the diagram widgets. But these ones I could style different to the sliders and user input is way easier than for this timeline widget. To make it look good, you would have to clone the style somehow, have to reimplement QSlider functionality, the modified functionality plus adding the additional functions for the markers. In the end all has to work together.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

I'm not of much help with code, but perhaps a mock-up would help.
I made it like the same slider as before but with two points, don't know if thats possible in QT

Default is all range and range sliders at the edges of the timeline.

With arrow over current selected timeframe

I made a timeline indicator icon you can use:

http://www.larssteenhoff.com/forum_pics/timline_indicator.png

70MM13

ok, i finally got a chance to try the stripes fix again, and you're right, it's fixed now.

meaning it doesn't make the footage worse.

but it doesn't do anything at all for my footage, which is better than ruining it!  :P

as i conjectured above, it's probably because the stripes from the reduced gain hack are very different.  it doesn't matter because these stripes are buried so deep in the shadows that i'll never see them.

but i can confirm the tool no longer has any negative side effects here!

PS: while everyone's asking for new features, here's one from me:

can we have additional curves in series, when needed?  in resolve this is a beautiful benefit of using nodes.  just add another node and you have a new curve to make fine adjustments without disturbing the first curve.

if this can be done, it would be a tremendous increase in the grading capability of mlvapp.  maybe add some kind of keyboard shortcut to switch between the curves, such as ALT-1, ALT-2, etc...?

mlvapp will soon be unbeatable!

thanks for all your hard work!

togg

I've uploaded two samples, if you bring the exposure of the dng up in resolve with a simple curve you'll see the vertical stripes inside the black shadow casted on his neck and in the sky.
I've tried 3 exports: no vertical stripes correction / normal / forced. The dng output (lossless) is identical in the three cases. I didn't test the hotpixels yet but I'm afraid it could be the same.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r2h5j8ml51fed6t/M02-0127.MLV/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1x5cc0qfdrkq3ay/M06-0445.MLV/file

ilia3101

Quote from: togg on January 20, 2019, 01:35:00 PM
I've uploaded two samples, if you bring the exposure of the dng up in resolve with a simple curve you'll see the vertical stripes inside the black shadow casted on his neck and in the sky.
I've tried 3 exports: no vertical stripes correction / normal / forced. The dng output (lossless) is identical in the three cases. I didn't test the hotpixels yet but I'm afraid it could be the same.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r2h5j8ml51fed6t/M02-0127.MLV/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1x5cc0qfdrkq3ay/M06-0445.MLV/file

That looks like fixed pattern noise, try a dark frame. The stripes look uneven, unlike magic lantern defined "vertical stripes", which are most noticeable in highlight areas and repeat every 8 pixels.

Could be wrong that was first impression. See what bouncyball thinks.

togg

Ooh! I have to learn how to use darkframes then. Any tutorial?

ibrahim

Hi guys,

I have a x5 1:1 3.5K footage in 12 bit lossless that I want to export in this app. Which export setting is the most recommended while using apple prores 4444 in win10?
I am referring to which debayer and smooth aliasing options I should use.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

masc

@togg: for me this also does not look like vertical stripes as it is defined. Darkframe could solve it, or at least make it a little better.
1. Record with identical settings and identical equipment a clip with lens cap mounted. Some seconds are enough.
2. Import MLV into MLVApp.
3. Export this file as MLV, Averaged Frame.
---- Now you have your darkframe.
4. Import your clip.
5. Go to RAW Corrections, press darkframe folder icon and select your darkframe.
---- Look, if it becomes a little better.

@ibrahim: there is no best setting for all clips. This is why all these options exist. Mostly AMaZE is best, but not always. Try out the other debayer algorithms for all clips, if you like (you should do in the edit pane, because if one clips looks good with IGV, the next could be look aweful with it. In export settings, you could override this setting, but I recommend using "Receipt Configuration" - this is what you set in edit pane.)
Smooth aliasing is for clips with a slight movement which have bad moiree / aliasing artifacts. Note: if you use it, it is slow - you'll need a lot of rendering time!
Let your eyes decide which setting is best for each clip.

Quote from: Ilia3101 on January 19, 2019, 03:50:17 PM
coming soon
;D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

togg

Thanks masc! I'll do it next time, sounds usefull. Does processing time take a big hit?

masc

Processing time should not raise much. It is just a subtraction for each pixel... so nothing difficult ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

I added another demosaicing algorithm to MLVApp: AHD. The base seems to be the same as used in ACR, because the produced moiree and interference picture is mostly identical. So... if you are in love with ACR debayer artifacts, try it out! :D

Another news: some data conversion before and after debayering is now changed for AMaZE, IGV and LMMSE. This mostly brings even more quality to the debayered result than before. This is very useful for 1x3 clips, because many many artifacts are completely gone now!
As far as I know, only our LMMSE implementation has some little problems with some clips - I get some colored dots randomly all over the picture for (mostly) lossless <14bit clips... If someone has an idea what could be wrong there, please let me know!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Awesome, will test tomorrow.
Lmmse dots. I got them as well when experimenting before. All I did was reducing a place around white balance but it was clearly very sensitive to small changes. Sorry I can't be more clear on this.

70MM13

any improvements to demosaicing are most welcome!

Masc, I have a clip that NO demosaicing algorithm on any program has ever worked properly on.  I'll dig it up and send you a frame from it just to have as a reference...

megapolis

canneloni

Is there an option to set a default folder for darkframes and MLV App automaticly selects the right darkframe for the clip, similar to how mlv_dump does?
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

masc

Quote from: canneloni on January 25, 2019, 02:53:16 PM
Is there an option to set a default folder for darkframes and MLV App automaticly selects the right darkframe for the clip, similar to how mlv_dump does?
No.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202