MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: domasa on November 26, 2018, 10:26:21 AM
For me is better one diagram with option show/hide curve.
Agree that master curve is where one go first. The separated color curves are there to color correct(more control) but of course optional.

Wtf. The separated curves are already there @Lars Steenhoff!

masc

Quote from: Danne on November 26, 2018, 11:11:42 AM
Agree that master curve is where one go first. The separated color curves are there to color correct(more control) but of course optional.

Wtf. The separated curves are already there @Lars Steenhoff!
Yes... but Lars asked to have 4 separate diagrams.
When I find time I'll also fix them for retina screens... dragging is not possible atm as expected. On non retina it works fine.
Edit: fixed.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

The reason why I like them separate windows is that I can color correct faster that way, I don't need to click r g b separate and can make quick adjustments between the curves.

It what the old resolve interface had.  until they took it out to accomodate for laptop users, because if you put them together is saves space.   But if you use a large monitor it faster workflow to have them in their own window.

In final cut pro they also have their own seperate window now.

And in color finale it uses them separate.

I know some people prefer them on top, so im not saying one or the other, but to have both options.

Danne

I see. I thought size and functionality worked perfectly as is so thumbs up!

bouncyball

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on November 26, 2018, 11:27:30 AM
The reason why I like them separate windows is that I can color correct faster that way, I don't need to click r g b separate and can make quick adjustments between the curves.
This can be circumvented by keyboard shortcuts. e.g. 1,2,3,4 or similar. I don't see real advantage of occupying x4 more space for it.

Lars Steenhoff

All I can say is personally I like it better seperate. its just more clear wich one color curve is doing what. when they overlap its more messy to visually see each curve as a separate adjustment. and its faster when using a mouse only, ( keyboard shortcuts do help but still.. )

scotophorus

The last update regarding the camera matrix colors is HUUUGE!

I've been getting some oversatured colors with this update, as some of you identified to be related with the internal srgb gamut. If i can do anything to help id be happy to. I'm so tired of using resolve (which atleast works fast), or after effects, I can't wait for this app to properly work, thank you very much to all who contibuted.

Quick question: I have a lot of older exported prores log-c .mov's that i created with mlvapp, how can i apply the camera matrix post convertion? I know probably some color information is lost due to the srgb gamut, but i'm sure a simple lut, rgb mixer values or rgb curves can help match the color of older mlvapp processed files with proper matrix calibrated files. As i understand the camera embeds the sensor color calibration values in the dng, cr2 or mlv files but i could be wrong.

ilia3101

The sRGB gamut is a new thing, those old files actually have full sensor colour gamut, so no colour info is lost. You have camera gamut + log curve, not perfect as the colour gamut does not technically match the gamut that normally comes with Log-C. But you have lost nothing with the old app.

Full sensor gamut sounds good right? Well it's not great, because every sensor is slightly different so it doesn't match when you have multiple camera models, and sensor gamut is quite different from normal colour gamuts such as sRGB and AdobeRGB, so the hues are slightly inaccurate. This inaccuracy problem is fixed with the new update.

Once MLV App has ACES gamut in internal processing we will have both accuracy and there will not be any problems with the saturated colours going weird, it will also be possible to have many output colour space choices.

ilia3101

Ah you want to match to the new MLV App colours?

I think a lut could be made for that. What camera do you use?

scotophorus

Quote from: Ilia3101 on December 01, 2018, 10:05:19 PM
no colour info is lost

Quote from: Ilia3101 on December 01, 2018, 10:05:19 PMOnce MLV App has ACES gamut in internal processing we will have both accuracy and there will not be any problems with the saturated colours going weird, it will also be possible to have many output colour space choices.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! you are a hero Ilia3101. Thank you for the quick answer

Quote from: Ilia3101 on December 01, 2018, 10:43:49 PM
Ah you want to match to the new MLV App colours?

I think a lut could be made for that. What camera do you use?

Yes, i have a canon 7d.

JADURCA

Hi everyone! I just filmed today a few short clips using magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3113 version witch Crop mode 1080p45/1040p48 3x3 activated. Clips have red vertical lines. Can I fix them using MLV App? Here is an example if anyone like to see... https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vllphqmixs4uv8/M03-1721.MLV?dl=0

JADURCA

Thanks @Danne for the info! Downloaded it would be testing it! Forgot to mention for the record, that I used NTSC and 720p 60 All-i in the Canon menu. So more info is available for you guys.

Can this corrupted clips be repaired so we can use them as an intro for a seminar video? We filmed like 5 clips of no more than 10 seconds with this issue. Hope it is possible to clean them.

Thanks!

JADURCA

Tried to clean it using Pattern Noise option, almost did the job. Don't know if there is another option or technique. Check image below. Can someone help me?

ilia3101

maybe enable vertical stripes as well?

I really dont know how you can fix this 100%.

JADURCA

Thanks @Ilia3101! Tried that one too and nothing happened.

If you or someone want to take a look or experiment, here is the MLV file https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vllphqmixs4uv8/M03-1721.MLV?dl=0

Levas

You should record a dark frame clip and try to extract that, I think that's an option available in MLVapp.
For recording a dark frame clip you can't use lossless compression, if I'm not mistaken, so if you used 14 bit lossless for the normal clip, you should use 14 bit uncompressed for the dark frame.
So for dark frame clip, use 14 bit uncompressed and then use the same ISO setting, same shutter time setting and same resolution setting as the normal clip.
Now put the lens cap on the lens and close down the diafragma to maximum, probably f22 (to eliminate all surrounding light).
Record a MLV clip and use this MLV for dark frame substraction in MLV app.

masc

Some new stuff to test for you: I tried to implement something similar but more flexible like we have in Lightroom - these HSL elements. In LR you have a couple of sliders, in MLVApp we have free diagrams now to paint curves in. I am not sure if my processing algorithm is correct (it just looks (mostly) similar to what LR does). For Hue vs. Luminance LR does somehow blur the edited areas - I don't blur it in MLVApp.

For now you'll have to compile MLVApp with these features on your own. If we don't find too awful bugs, we could make a release with that soon. Noisy or moiree areas look not so well... I have no idea how to improve that.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

JADURCA

Quote from: Levas on December 07, 2018, 07:58:01 PM
You should record a dark frame clip and try to extract that, I think that's an option available in MLVapp.
For recording a dark frame clip you can't use lossless compression, if I'm not mistaken, so if you used 14 bit lossless for the normal clip, you should use 14 bit uncompressed for the dark frame.
So for dark frame clip, use 14 bit uncompressed and then use the same ISO setting, same shutter time setting and same resolution setting as the normal clip.
Now put the lens cap on the lens and close down the diafragma to maximum, probably f22 (to eliminate all surrounding light).
Record a MLV clip and use this MLV for dark frame substraction in MLV app.

Just tried it Levas, every step as you suggested! Did not clean the red lines. Thanks for the suggestion!

Danne

The footage is clearly corrupted. Better to reshoot and watch out for it not to happen again.

Kharak

mlv app is the open source brother of davinci resolve

Just missing the editor ;)
once you go raw you never go back

JADURCA

Quote from: Danne on December 08, 2018, 08:22:52 PM
The footage is clearly corrupted. Better to reshoot and watch out for it not to happen again.

Ok Danne! Corrupted clips can not be fixed. Thanks for letting me know, although we cannot re shoot again, we can edit it in a creative way like looking trough an Old Analog TV, a damage analog fx should dissimulate corruption. It's a very short intro so we would be ok! Thanks everyone!

a1ex

Since this bug is actually my fault, here's a quick attempt to fix the sample clip. Notice the first few frames are pretty much black, so we can use them as dark frames:

mlv_dump M03-1721.MLV -f 10 -o darkframes.mlv
mlv_dump darkframes.mlv -a -o dark.mlv
mlv_dump dark.mlv --no-stripes --dng # just to double-check the dark frame
mlv_dump M03-1721.MLV -s dark.mlv -o corrected.mlv

It's not perfect, but I hope the other correction tools will have something easier to work with. At least, pattern noise fix on the corrected MLV is not *that* bad.

Danne

Original:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M03-1721b_000236.tif
Darkframe average:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M03-1721_000237.tif
Averaged:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M03-1721_000237.tiff

Download to script:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/averaging_idea.command
(more info below)

Original:

Darkframe averaged according to a1ex suggestion and got rid of a lot of the stripes:

Crop

However, more can be done:
Further averaged with enfuse and hugin align_image

Final result:
Cropped, enfuse and hugin align_image

So what I did was adding some averaging and aligning with enfuse and hugin align_image through a script workflow:
Download to script:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/averaging_idea.command

Workflow:
1 - Do the darkframe averaging according to a1ex tip above
2 - Export the new MLV through MLV app into tif files
3 - Add the averaging_idea.command script into the folder with tif files and double click it. Make sure it has chmod rights

4 - The script will output all kinds of tif files but in the end it will replace the original tif files with files ending with .tiff. The originals are placed in a separate folder called tif_tmp

The important part of the script:
#works on tif files
while grep -E "tif" <<< $(find . -maxdepth 1 -iname '*.tif')
do
/Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS/align_image_stack -a aligned.tif \
$(find -s . -maxdepth 1 -name '*.tif' | head -n 5)
/Applications/Hugin/tools_mac/enfuse --exposure-optimum=0.5 --exposure-width=0.5 $(find . -maxdepth 1 -iname 'aligned.*tif') -o $(find -s . -maxdepth 1 -iname '*.tif' | awk 'FNR == 1' | cut -d "." -f2 | tr -d "/").tiff
rm aligned.*tif
mkdir -p tif_tmp
mv $(find -s . -maxdepth 1 -name '*.tif' | awk 'FNR == 1') tif_tmp
done

Most probably more can be done also maybe through ffmpeg but this is a good start.