MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

I hope it'll come back with next version. I don't think it will be too hard. Will get done when I have the energy to do it, probably soon.

ricardopt

Hi everyone.

when doing a batch conversion using version 1.3 all the converted clips have only 8 seconds exactly, also is there a way of aplying a "recipe" to a whole lot of files at the same time? i tried importing a "recipe" with all clips selected but it doesnt work, only works individually.

thanks for all the work done in improving this app.

reddeercity

@Ilia3101 I'm wondering if you could explain or show me in your code how the image is display in the viewer ?
I'm trying to figure out if it's a "TS" stream (Transport Stream , e.g. mpeg2 etc. ... ) or something else .
The reason is I've being reading/studying the Blackmagic Desktop Video API , It's written in C++
and has samples project in Window, OSX & Linux . Of course I'm mainly interested in Windows side of things.
I'm just looking at the possibility for play back to a blackmagic USB3.0/PCIe device .

Why you may ask ? basically the output from the bm device is calibrated to standard ntsc/pal either bt601, rec709, sRGB (full range) color space
depending on the resolution (SD , HD) and computer monitor have there own color space .

Anyhow , to me that's the only thing missing with this app , scopes get you close but your eye's are the best judge , as long as you can trust the color are correct.

masc

Quote from: ricardopt on November 18, 2018, 02:03:01 AM
Hi everyone.

when doing a batch conversion using version 1.3 all the converted clips have only 8 seconds exactly, also is there a way of aplying a "recipe" to a whole lot of files at the same time? i tried importing a "recipe" with all clips selected but it doesnt work, only works individually.

thanks for all the work done in improving this app.
If the exported clips are only 8 seconds, the MLVs will be only 8 seconds or you limited it by "cut out" to 8 seconds. Can't reproduce it otherwise. But maybe you can give some more information of what you do exactly - there are hundreds of possibitles...

Import receipt works for 1 single clip. Copy/Paste works for all selected cilps.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: reddeercity on November 18, 2018, 04:48:11 AM
@Ilia3101 I'm wondering if you could explain or show me in your code how the image is display in the viewer ?
I'm trying to figure out if it's a "TS" stream (Transport Stream , e.g. mpeg2 etc. ... ) or something else .
The reason is I've being reading/studying the Blackmagic Desktop Video API , It's written in C++
and has samples project in Window, OSX & Linux . Of course I'm mainly interested in Windows side of things.
I'm just looking at the possibility for play back to a blackmagic USB3.0/PCIe device .

Why you may ask ? basically the output from the bm device is calibrated to standard ntsc/pal either bt601, rec709, sRGB (full range) color space
depending on the resolution (SD , HD) and computer monitor have there own color space .

Anyhow , to me that's the only thing missing with this app , scopes get you close but your eye's are the best judge , as long as you can trust the color are correct.
I can try to explain. There is no stream. All what happens is implemented and developed by our own - just using some Qt libraries at the very end. I'll try to describe it an easy way. If you like to get more information, let me know.
- In the Qt part, an event tells "it is time to show a new frame"
- in dependency to real time we calculate which frame should be shown
- the frame number is sent to another (render)thread -> App can be controlled by user, rendering is in background
- the render thread starts Ilias functions: from MLV read out... debayering (mostly multithreaded)... processing (multithreaded)
- in the end there is a uint16 buffer holding the wanted picture data
- picture data comes back to Qt via signal/slot (and in parallel this is also the point, when 1st step is done next time)
- picture is leaded to a QGraphicsView scene layer (which should use OpenGL, makes dragging and zooming very fast)
- when exporting, the same picture data is leaded to ffmpeg via pipe, or to AVFoundation library.

Is it possible to send picture data to this blackmagic API and it is shown on the device?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: reddeercity on November 18, 2018, 04:48:11 AM

The MLV App code outputs the image as a simple array/buffer/bitmap (however you say it, nothing complicated or compressed like a stream), so if the BlackMagic SDK allows you to upload image data directly it might be easy. The current output colour space of MLV App is sRGB, it will hopefully gain some wider gamut ability soon.

Is this blackmagic thing a monitor or what? I am quite confused by your description. Can you not just output from the computer to it like a monitor to run windows and MLV App directly on it? or is it only accessible through an api?

reddeercity

Thanks you both @Ilia3101 & @masc , I got a working understanding of your app  .
I kind of thought there was some frame buffer stuff , that what I was looking for .

The Blackmagic device  (Capture & Preview Play back) is for dedicated preview in Legal Color Space , along with your preview window in the app at the same time .
Mainly used for Color Grading (exported HDMI signal & or SDI to Grading Monitor) & capturing compressed & uncompressed Camera stream data (which I'm not concerned about)
I'm looking for just preview when Grading , As I can only speak for myself I have a Pro Art Asus 1080p 10bit Grading Monitor (99% color accuracy in rec709 or sRGB)
I use with the BM Ultra Studio HDMI/SDI USB 3.0 device (Which is not produce any more) In FCPX & Resolve .
But there is other newer devices (Thunder bolt , USB 3.0) plus PICe cards DeckLink Mini Monitor cards

So as I mention before , computer video & monitors is in total different color space even if you choose sRGB in you computer icc profile ,
It's different then broadcast/legal space profile , they run on a smpte video standard .

I hope I cleared thinks up @ Ilia3101

reddeercity

Quote from: masc on November 18, 2018, 10:49:23 AM
Is it possible to send picture data to this blackmagic API and it is shown on the device?
Yes , but in a smpte video standard profile and be simultaneously stream thought multi connection e.g. HDMI & SDI (serial digital interface)

Kharak

Finally got to try 1.3. This is a huge update! The colours are superb now, also WB Temperature seems to be handled right now!

Managed to grade some beautiful shots with MLV App on a laptop that has no GPU. Really nice! Keep up the good work
once you go raw you never go back

domasa

Thx for great app!

My feature request list:
- visualize Cut In/Out position on playback timeline
- Create Virtual Copy (like in Lightroom)

;)

ilia3101

@domasa I like the idea of multiple versions of one file a lot. Instead of saying "file already in session" would be nice if "add another copy?" What do you think @masc? Also would be nice if they got grouped together.

@reddeercity An easy way to get a true preview in MLV app right now is to have an apple computer with a calibrated, decent quality monitor (and that calibration profile set in macOS of course), MLV App will be colour managed correctly as macOS knows the window is in sRGB and will convert it to screen colour space before displaying it. (just a suggestion for seeing your colour accurately)

70MM13

Wow, excellent!

The only big thing that's missing for me now is receipt slots.

Essential for my working style.

masc

Quote from: domasa on November 22, 2018, 12:58:02 AM
My feature request list:
- visualize Cut In/Out position on playback timeline
- Create Virtual Copy (like in Lightroom)
For visualizing cut in and out, I would need a special graphics element, which I don't have. And I had no luck so far to create this one.

Quote from: Ilia3101 on November 23, 2018, 10:07:25 AM
@domasa I like the idea of multiple versions of one file a lot. Instead of saying "file already in session" would be nice if "add another copy?" What do you think @masc? Also would be nice if they got grouped together.
Virtual copy could be realized somehow, but will bring a couple of problems. In past I this was no fun for me, why I decided to forbid it with the message "file already in session".

Quote from: 70MM13 on November 25, 2018, 01:28:58 PM
The only big thing that's missing for me now is receipt slots.
Sry... I know and thought a lot about it already... but I still have no good idea for this.

Quote from: Danne on November 25, 2018, 01:00:28 PM
Curve tool! Awesome!
Yes... since some hours first version of curves tool is added. But there are still bugs in the code... (some problems with cubic splines, and selection and dragging problems on apple retina displays).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

curve tool is very nice

can you make an option to show them as 3 seprate curves?

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on November 25, 2018, 08:44:46 PM
yes thats what I mean
Haha... hm... sure it is possible. But the most of the time I needed, to get it working as it is now, was getting all 4 diagrams into one. :-D Better to start another new class for this than patching the existing one.
But why would you prefer 4 diagrams? All the apps I know combine the curves...
First I would like to get the stupid 1D cubic spline functions working correctly. If someone is good in math or knows a good free and easy C library for that, please let me know.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Danne on November 25, 2018, 09:53:04 PM
Maybe something useful here:
https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/patch/10104/
https://pypi.org/project/openlut/
Thanks Danne, but it is no LUT. The processing is very simple, and the diagram needs a cubic spline function in background.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ErickTim

When the "use camera matrix" is checked and I use the saturation slider to reduce the saturation, I noticed that the image breaks. Mostly noticeable in the reds. This does not happen when not using camera matrix option. Is this expected? Here is an example image. Look at the red car.

Danne

@ErickTim
Seems you are on windows? I am experimenting with a version with a somewhat altered colorspace so if you could upload a short sample MLV of the file I could check if it is fixed over here.

ilia3101

I see that is a very saturated car, hopefully will get fixed in next version. It is because we use sRGB gamut internally for processing, it will be a wider one in next release (ACES)

Also I would love to have that MLV to test, it would be wonderful if you could send it.

domasa

Quoteyou mean 4 curves in 4 diagrams?
For me is better one diagram with option show/hide curve.