MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: timbytheriver on November 14, 2018, 04:05:22 PM
Thanks to all! This is becoming a real contender. Would it be possible to implement a LUT intensity slider sometime?  8)
Thanks again.
Quote from: andy kh on November 14, 2018, 06:38:55 PM
It would be great if it can b implemented
Done.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

This MLV looks OK if white level is set to 5000-ish. No black level adjustment required.

Edit: I bet it is recorded by latest bleeding edge build with support of 1x3 crop and lowered gain registers, with very dark output and incorrect white level.
Edit2: look at the walls in shade and the unrecoverable lightness outside. What is the purpose of using dual iso if highlights are gone and in shadows there are lots of dancing ugly color noise dots?

mesebar2

Are you guys kidding me? You are updating and improving MLV App at an incredible speed!
This new version looks amazing so far, and the quality of the colors is breathtaking!
Thank you so much for your work!

IDA_ML

Quote from: bouncyball on November 14, 2018, 07:54:15 PM
This MLV looks OK if white level is set to 5000-ish. No black level adjustment required.

Edit: I bet it is recorded by latest bleeding edge build with support of 1x3 crop and lowered gain registers, with very dark output and incorrect white level.
Edit2: look at the walls in shade and the unrecoverable lightness outside. What is the purpose of using dual iso if highlights are gone and in shadows there are lots of dancing ugly color noise dots?

Yes, that's right, it was recorded with that latest 1x3 build.  In fact, the processed file does not look all that bad at all.  If you adjust the white level precisely, play with the darks and lights a bit and add some saturation, you will even see some blue sky.  Note that the settings were extreme - 400/3200.  Without Dual ISO, the result would have been much worse in both: the highlights and the shadows.

bouncyball

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 14, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
Note that the settings were extreme - 400/3200.  Without Dual ISO, the result would have been much worse in both: the highlights and the shadows.
Well, I doubt it :P, but anyway... have a nice test drive!

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

timbytheriver

I'm using the compiler script for the first time but I get error:

let´s clean repo first(make clean)!
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
rm -rf "MLV App" "MLV App".app main.o video_mlv.o debayer.o amaze_demosaic.o raw_processing.o main_methods.o useful_methods.o background_thread.o matrix.o camera_matrices.o frame_caching.o lj92.o session_methods.o delegate.o mlv_view.o llrawproc.o pixelproc.o stripes.o patternnoise.o hist.o dualiso.o avf_lib.o filter.o genann.o blur_threaded.o dng.o darkframe.o camera_id.o audio_mlv.o *.o
ls: /usr/local/Cellar/qt/5*: No such file or directory
/Volumes/mlv_app_compiler/Mlv_App_compiler.app/Contents/main.command: line 230: /bin/qmake: No such file or directory

Any ideas? Thanks.

Got it working – sorry! :)
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Danne

Could you try this from menu:
(U)   update dependecies(if compiling fails)

I spelled dependencies wrong I see. now. Get back if it works or not.
What os are you on by the way?

timbytheriver

Quote from: Danne on November 15, 2018, 10:50:47 AM
Could you try this from menu:
(U)   update dependecies(if compiling fails)

I spelled dependencies wrong I see. now. Get back if it works or not.
What os are you on by the way?

Thanks @Danne that fixed it!
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Danne

Did you upgrade to mojave? Had an issue were things had to be reinstalled so that´s the reason for a dedicated update dependencies button.

IDA_ML

Quote from: bouncyball on November 15, 2018, 10:04:04 AM
Well, I doubt it :P, but anyway... have a nice test drive!

Bouncyball,

Here is another shortened MLV of the same scene but shot at a much more relaxed setting - Dual ISO 200/1600:

https://we.tl/t-pO2Io6Ywpy

Quite obviously, at this setting, the camera has a higher dynamic range and the final result looks much better:

I regret that I did not take another shot at Dual ISO 100/800.  The result would have been even better !!!

After struggling a lot with high-dynamic range (HDR) scenes in the past, I really think that Dual ISO, especially in its bleeding edge 1x3 development, is your best friend for shooting such scenes.  Yes, its usage is a little tricky - it requires a very careful exposure to the right (ETTR) without blowing up the highlights.  But, once you get is right, the results are really gorgeous.  I cannot be convincing enough if you don't test it by yourself.  Please do and you will see how amazing it is.   This is the reason why I am so grateful to all of you for the fact that MLVApp can now handle such complex files so successfully.

Masc,

I tested your handle on my laptop and it works just fine.  I can now access the sliders without problems.  Thanks a lot for this useful hint.

Danne

yea, 100-800 or 100-1600(or 3200) will increase dynamic range. On the HDR theme do try a1ex 48fps setting in crop_rec. (True hd 1920x1080p 48 fps that is). Then you can merge the mlv files in Mlv app in post.

IDA_ML

I have a question to the MLVApp developers.  Very often we shoot Normal and Dual ISO files that get saved on the same card.  To apply recipes and automate batch processing for the Dual ISO files, it is better to separate them manually in a different folder and process them separately.  This takes  a lot of time since all files have to be opened in MLVApp first, the file names of the Dual ISO ones have to be written down manually and then they have to be sorted out in Explorer.  So my question is:

Is it possible to implement automatic recognition of Dual ISO files and apply the Dual ISO function to them on the fly?  This would be very helpful since it will save time.  If these files are also marked with small pop-up message like "DualISO 100/800 12 bit file" somewhere on the working area, that would be helpful too since the user will know that he/she is working on a Dual ISO file.   

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 15, 2018, 02:15:13 PM
I have a question to the MLVApp developers.  Very often we shoot Normal and Dual ISO files that get saved on the same card.  To apply recipes and automate batch processing for the Dual ISO files, it is better to separate them manually in a different folder and process them separately.  This takes  a lot of time since all files have to be opened in MLVApp first, the file names of the Dual ISO ones have to be written down manually and then they have to be sorted out in Explorer.  So my question is:

Is it possible to implement automatic recognition of Dual ISO files and apply the Dual ISO function to them on the fly?  This would be very helpful since it will save time.  If these files are also marked with small pop-up message like "DualISO 100/800 12 bit file" somewhere on the working area, that would be helpful too since the user will know that he/she is working on a Dual ISO file.
I have something in mind, but the idea is not easy to implement...
What you can do already now (at least with newest dual iso development MLVs having the DISO metadata):
- load all your MLVs to MLVApp
- open Information dialog
- select first clip
- if it is dualiso (you see it in ISO cell), press K, else press Delete
- repeat for all clips
- save session
Or do the opposite for the non-dualiso files.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

timbytheriver

Quote from: Danne on November 15, 2018, 11:22:06 AM
Did you upgrade to mojave? Had an issue were things had to be reinstalled so that´s the reason for a dedicated update dependencies button.

@Danne Nope! I'm still on trusty old El Capitan 10.11  :P
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Danne

Quote from: masc on November 15, 2018, 02:45:04 PM
What you can do already now (at least with newest dual iso development MLVs having the DISO metadata):
- if it is dualiso (you see it in ISO cell), press K, else press Delete
Having metadata could very well automate dualiso enabling.

masc

Quote from: Danne on November 15, 2018, 04:20:33 PM
Having metadata could very well automate dualiso enabling.
It does already... if metadata isn't there, dualiso is disabled. If it is there, you just have to decide between PreView and On.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I drag a dualiso file into my browser but dualiso is not enable over here:

masc

Yes, that is as it should be. It is not disabled. For non DISO files you would have to FORCE dualiso (there comes another button), so it is switched off by standard. This also brings less problems when copying receipts...
Enabling by default slows down the app. You'll see when opening a session where it is enabled.

It looks like that for non dual iso.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Understood.
So older(no metadata) dualiso files will still work if force button is used? Forget the question, reread your answer  :P
By the copied and applied a dualiso recipe and it also added dualiso to non dualiso files.

IDA_ML

Here is a test file shot with Danne's 17 fps 12-bit preset and upscaled to the 2560x1440 resolution of my screen:

https://we.tl/t-TsrJoxQEwY

I shot it with the 24/2,8 IS lens for maximum fine detail and t Dual ISO 100/800.  It looks very well on my screen.  Processing and upscaling was done entirely in MLVApp v.1.3

Masc,
Your sorting suggestion suits me just fine.  I will give it a try.  Thanks for the hint.

bouncyball

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 15, 2018, 12:13:47 PM
Yes, its usage is a little tricky - it requires a very careful exposure to the right (ETTR) without blowing up the highlights.  But, once you get is right, the results are really gorgeous.
I never said dual iso is not good ;). a1ex did incredible job on it! And I'm using it for still shooting since the invention. But for motion pictures diso processing generates lot of aliasing for my taste, and that is where future 1x3 crop might be handy...

I just said it needs specific approach but did not want to go into deep explanation. I'm glad you got there by yourself! Now this IS a good approach to dual iso shooting. Never go above 1600 recovery ISO it is almost makes no sense.

I took a look at your latest MLV and it looks a LOT more groovy.

regards
bb

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on November 15, 2018, 04:42:07 PM
So older(no metadata) dualiso files will still work if force button is used?
Yup, it's a new feature in v1.3 :).

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on November 16, 2018, 02:23:21 PM
Is cached playback coming back at some point?
Yes, hopefully. But with the new autoswitch (between viewer and player debayer) we need a second memory buffer for such fun... and this is not that easy. See https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/issues/121
5D3.113 | EOSM.202