MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: whysodifficult on October 30, 2018, 07:57:27 AM
Result: MLVApp WB and MLV App 1.2 with tweaking match the reference. WB version was more natural to tweak.
Nice to hear that you get the colors now you like. But since many many versions, absolutely nothing was changed regarding white balance processing in the official releases.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

whysodifficult

masc

Yes, v1.3 is out.
- Added camera matrix calculation for scientific white balance 🎉  (BIG THANK to Ilia! This is great!)
- Added compatibility mode to get still the old white balance results, if necessary
- Dual iso section improvement in edit pane (finally added 'DISO' block header full support)
- More dual iso information in information dialog
- Added session files to drop event
- Added debayer selection per clip instead as global export parameter
- Added auto debayer switch for viewer and playback
- Added a 2nd darktheme

Problems:
- for low white balance temperature (<4000) highlights might get cyan --> uncheck "use camera matrix" to get old processing results
- no caching in this version
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Yeah everyone who's ever complained about weird colours try it out now.

ibrahim

Is the conversion of MLV to cDNG in 16-bit in this app, just as it is in MLV Producer and raw2cdng?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

ArcziPL

Quote from: masc on November 13, 2018, 05:38:37 PM
- Added camera matrix calculation for scientific white balance 🎉  (BIG THANK to Ilia! This is great!)
I like it a lot! Thank you guys!
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on November 13, 2018, 05:38:37 PM

It is very scientific, we even simulate the entire spectrum of a blackbody emitter to get the white colour for different temperatures.

masc

Quote from: ibrahim on November 13, 2018, 10:24:06 PM
Is the conversion of MLV to cDNG in 16-bit in this app, just as it is in MLV Producer and raw2cdng?
The conversion to cDNG is 16bit and uses the same library like MLV Producer (and maybe raw2cdng - don't know this good enough), what not means the output is identical, because e.g. the RAW Corrections are realized differently. 16bit also does not mean that 10..14bit footage becomes better. Full 16bit is useful for dualiso.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: ibrahim on November 13, 2018, 10:24:06 PM
Nope. Proggies mentioned above have absolutely nothing in common with mlvapp code.
And right MLV Producer and raw2cdng convert raw data to 16bits. In contrary mlvapp just unpacks any bitdepth raw data to 16bit word buffer and all consequential processing is done on it. During processing, if required in some cases, low bitdepth to 14bit convertion may happen. After processing all raw data is packed back to initial bit depth.

Quote from: masc on November 14, 2018, 08:04:45 AM
The conversion to cDNG is 16bit and uses the same library like MLV Producer (and maybe raw2cdng - don't know this good enough), what not means the output is identical, because e.g. the RAW Corrections are realized differently. 16bit also does not mean that 10..14bit footage becomes better. Full 16bit is useful for dualiso.
The DNGs created by mlvapp are 16bits for dual iso export only. All other raw data exported as DNG always match the input bit depth of the original MLV (10,12,14bits for uncompressed and 14bits for any sort of lossless).

MLV App DNG export is based on MLVFS 'dng.c' lib (credits to its author David Milligan - @dmilligan) and is heavily modified by me, and it is not used in either MLVP or raw2cdng.

regards
bb

ibrahim

Thanks bouncyball. What settings do both of you recommend to convert MLV to cDNG to preserve the highest quality possible?

The same question goes for dual iso footage.

I ask this because since this app has much more features that the other two apps.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

bouncyball

@ibrahim

Well actually exporting raw from raw (MLV -> DNG) is absolutely lossless and identical quality.

There are 2 options thought:
1. Just pass through all untouched raw data from MLV to DNG
    It's very fast but has downside. All original flaws of the raw image, e.g vertical stripes, bad pixels, focus pixels (only for affected cameras) etc are there also untouched
    and unprocessed.
2. Do raw processing and get rid of all original raw flaws. It's slower but also maintains highest quality no matter what e.g. exported either as uncompressed or lossless DNGs.

regards
bb

ibrahim

So if I want to process a dual iso footage in MLVapp what settings do I need to apply if I don't want to color grade in this app but only remove the flaws?
I want to color correct/grade the uncompressed cinemaDNG in AE or davinci instead.

Danne

@Ibrahim
Just hit export dng, lossless, uncompressed, whatever. If the dng files looks ok you donĀ“t need to mess with settings. Defaults are ok. ACR and resolve can chew all bits.

Thanks Ilia3101, masc and bouncyball for great progress and refienments. Dualiso, colors etc. High end stuff.

bouncyball

Yes (thanks to @Danne) no special recipe is needed. Turn on dual iso with "AMaZE" and "Alias Map" on and export dngs (sometimes dual iso lossless dngs can not be created and error shows up, so your best bet is uncompressed ones). That's all :)

Note: do not use "CinemaDNG Fast Pass" it will completely bypass dual iso processing.

ibrahim

Quote from: bouncyball on November 14, 2018, 08:55:22 AM
Yes (thanks to @Danne) no special recipe is needed. Turn on dual iso with "AMaZE" and "Alias Map" on and export dngs (sometimes dual iso lossless dngs can not be created and error shows up, so your best bet is uncompressed ones). That's all :)

Note: do not use "CinemaDNG Fast Pass" it will completely bypass dual iso processing.

Thanks man. Great stuff you guys are creating.

IDA_ML

A big big Thanks to all developers of this amazing product!  MLVApp keeps getting better and better.  I just tested the DualISO function in version 1.3 and my first impression is that it handles those files very well.

One thing that should be kept in mind with Dual ISO files is that you may get weird green casts in the darkest areas of your Dual ISO footage after applying the Dual ISO function in the RAW menu.  These can be completely cured by carefully adjusting the White level slider to a lower value.  The same applies also to some pink casts in the highlights.

A few more hints on part of the developers on how to handle DualISO files for preserving highest quality would be very welcome.

bouncyball

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 14, 2018, 11:02:28 AM
One thing that should be kept in mind with Dual ISO files is that you may get weird green casts in the darkest areas of your Dual ISO footage after applying the Dual ISO function in the RAW menu.  These can be completely cured by carefully adjusting the White level slider to a lower value.  The same applies also to some pink casts in the highlights.
ore hints on part of the developers on how to handle DualISO files for preserving highest quality would be very welcome.
Exactly :) and this is the one of the main reasons why those sliders are there.

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 14, 2018, 11:02:28 AM

A few more hints on part of the developers on how to handle DualISO files for preserving highest quality would be very welcome.
Normally you should only press DualIso On button and that's it. Could you upload a shortend MLV which has this problem? The dualiso algorithm should calculate optimal black and white level, if I understood right (@bb?).
Thanks again for your dualiso files with the clipped highlights. One of these files helped me a lot to implement a new algorithm in v1.3 to reconstruct highlights better in dualiso files (you could also test that again, it is hopefully better than before).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on November 14, 2018, 11:41:47 AM
...if I understood right (@bb?).
Yeah, but for some rare clips it happens (black level is not optimal).

I think everyone should understand that just point and shoot method is not right thing for obtaining usable dual iso footage with good DR. For some situations dual iso not a friend but enemy.

timbytheriver

Thanks to all! This is becoming a real contender. Would it be possible to implement a LUT intensity slider sometime?  8)
Thanks again.
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

IDA_ML

Quote from: masc on November 14, 2018, 11:41:47 AM
Could you upload a shortend MLV which has this problem?

Sure Masc, here you go:

https://we.tl/t-cmlIdl2Gxv

This is a 400/3200 Dual ISO file from the 5D3.  When you press the DualISO button, you will see the green cast in the shadows.

By the way, I have noticed a small but very annoying bug on my laptop.  The RAW white level slider is slightly too long and the white dot goes outside the right edge of the workspace which makes it impossible to move it.  It could be due to a Win7x64 scaling issue, (I use 150% desktop magnification to see the icons properly), but I cannot use MLVApp on that laptop for this reason.  On other computer screens everything is fine.  I was wondering if you might be able to make the Edit area on the right of the workspace slightly narrower or move it a bit to the left so that I can see and move the white dot on that slider.  If not, could you make the slider itself a little shorter?  Thank you in advance.

andy kh

Quote from: timbytheriver on November 14, 2018, 04:05:22 PM
Would it be possible to implement a LUT intensity slider sometime?  8)
Thanks again.

It would be great if it can b implemented
5D Mark III - 70D

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 14, 2018, 06:30:52 PM
Sure Masc, here you go:
https://we.tl/t-cmlIdl2Gxv
Thanks!

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 14, 2018, 06:30:52 PM
...(I use 150% desktop magnification to see the icons properly)...
Windows desktop magnification is the problem, which can't be 100% fixed, because it is partially unsupported by Qt and very different and more complicated to other OS. But I implemented a handle in the separator between viewer and edit area: drag it and it should get better. Does it?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML