MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: Kharak on October 26, 2018, 01:22:16 PM
Wondering about the Zoom Fit mode. After Amaze Cached is idling I get 16-17 fps, if I press F to zoom in, I get 20-21 fps but if I zoom out to fill the screen exactly as much as Zoom Fit mode does, it still stays at 20-21 fps, but as soon as I press F again it drops to 16-17 fps even though the size of the screen is exactly the same. Is there some kind of quality difference between Fullscreen and Zoomed in ?
Yes, exactly, it is. Fit & Zoom mode use different scaling algorithms from Qt. But what OS are you using? For me there is not really a difference... maybe 0.5fps...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 26, 2018, 01:26:37 PM
I would love to see an GPU accelerated playback at some point, I did see there is an open CL branch but I did not try that one yet.
It uses just an OpenCL debayer, which is in the and not faster as an CPU based one, because memory copy actions need longer than the calculation using the CPU.
Don't wait for all (or at least any) processing is done on OpenCL. It won't happen. Or someone is willing to do it for us.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/unlocking-the-power-of-lightroom-color-labels--cms-21876

What about some colours labels, this would make filtering files easy.
For example I could label all the files that I have finished grading green.

and the ability to filter by label

Kharak

Quote from: masc on October 26, 2018, 01:26:43 PM
Yes, exactly, it is. Fit & Zoom mode use different scaling algorithms from Qt. But what OS are you using? For me there is not really a difference... maybe 0.5fps...

Win 8.1
once you go raw you never go back

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Quote from: masc on October 26, 2018, 02:25:03 PM
Strange... here on my Win8.1 framerate is the same between these modes.

Maybe it comes down to what GPU one has?

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

What kind of drive are your MLV's stored on?

There is a huge performance difference in MLV app when the MLV's are played from SSD or CF card, if your MLV's are on a HDD that might be the bottleneck and the reason why you dont see a huge difference.

masc

Quote from: Kharak on October 26, 2018, 05:23:26 PM
What kind of drive are your MLV's stored on?

There is a huge performance difference in MLV app when the MLV's are played from SSD or CF card, if your MLV's are on a HDD that might be the bottleneck and the reason why you dont see a huge difference.
The test file was on a SSD.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: Kharak on October 26, 2018, 01:22:16 PM
Downloaded 1.1

Wondering about the Zoom Fit mode. After Amaze Cached is idling I get 16-17 fps, if I press F to zoom in, I get 20-21 fps but if I zoom out to fill the screen exactly as much as Zoom Fit mode does, it still stays at 20-21 fps, but as soon as I press F again it drops to 16-17 fps even though the size of the screen is exactly the same. Is there some kind of quality difference between Fullscreen and Zoomed in ?

Cocoa version had a really fast OpenGL view, I think if I ever implemented playback and frame counter it could have got up to 24fps (with amaze cached). That's the impression I got when I would scrub through the video. If you have a mac with a GPU try out the last release of Cocoa app ever (but don't use it for anything, it's almost a year old old and glitchy). The processing is easily fast enough in most cases (if not using highlights shadows clarity etc). No OpenCL needed to be honest. I think we just need to find a fast way to output to the screen.

Again I could be wrong, but that's the impression I have. No measurements were made.

I mentioned OpenGL and GPU, that is only for outputting the image to screen, not processing.

Also download 1.2 now ;)

Danne

Great to see the energy and the ever growing Mlv App still getting more and more features and refinements.
I have another enhancement suggestion to an existing enhancement:

I think we could make working with Mlv App projects work even faster  here by adding some stuff to an already great enhancement.

1 - Selecting 'Quit without saving' could still actually save the project that is worked upon silently into let´s say /tmp/ folder on mac for instance. It could be statically called 'autosaved.masxml' or 'last_project.masxml' or similar. The important step here is automation. The user won´t even pay attention to creating or open the actual masxml file. This tmp file will be replaced every time the user quits without saving. This means that when reopening Mlv App open the last autosaved project worked upon as default with mlv paths and changes, the whole works. This is imo the 99% workflow used aroud Mlv App.

2 - When user select 'Quit and save' we manually name the masxml file and in this case the autosaved masxml file will be deleted and the user will now have a clean slate when opening Mlv App and can select the manually saves masxml file.

In regard to these ideas reworking the names could be following:
Cancel button stays the same.
The 'Quit without saving'  will be named 'Save and quit' (last project is autosaved to static /tmp folder with static name)
The 'Save and quit' button would instead be 'Save to masxml' and will let user create the masxml file manually
Like so:
Cancel  Save and quit  Save to masxml

vstrglv

Thanks for upgrade!
Installed V1.2
There is a problem with DUAL-ISO MLV file with Danne's magiclantern_crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_1x3_10bit.zip
V1.2 Dual iso - OFF

V1.2 Dual iso - ON

V1.1 Dual iso - OFF

V1.1 Dual iso - ON

And is it possible to remove confirmation window on exit?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Lars Steenhoff

Yes it possible to disable save question on exit.
Second row from the bottom

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vstrglv

But there is no this issue for :
V1.1 DI-OFF

V1.1 DI-ON

V1.2 DI-OFF

V1.2 DI-ON

vstrglv

Another test:

Th same settings. The difference is in brigthness.

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 27, 2018, 12:15:01 PM
Yes it possible to disable save question on exit.
Second row from the bottom

Do you have implemented another Fullscreen mode or did you just enable our buggy one and moved it to another menu?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

I just compiled without any changes to the menu, are you sure it not there always?

masc

Really?! What OSX do you use? Our Fullscreen function is hidden, but if you enable it, it is under Playback and is just called Fullscreen.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on October 27, 2018, 08:44:07 PM
Really?! What OSX do you use? Our Fullscreen function is hidden, but if you enable it, it is under Playback and is just called Fullscreen.
I was also amased :)

bouncyball

Lars Steenhoff

The Enter full screen menu item is the same as pressing on the green button, I'm using high Sierra.

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 29, 2018, 12:20:27 PM
The Enter full screen menu item is the same as pressing on the green button, I'm using high Sierra.
Okay, thanks. Saw that the first time... in El Capitan and lower, Linux and Windows this does not exist.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

whysodifficult

Thank you so much for responding to my question about the color, that i asked some time ago! I'm sorry i didn't respond earlier. Happy to see you, guys, have moved forward in finding a better way to process the color!

Here what i see:

MlRAWViewer 1.5 as a kind of a rough reference point of real colors (with increased exposure):

MLV App WB that Danne provided here earlier after i wrote my post:

Original (warm and dark):

Roughly tweaked to match MlRAWViewer 1.5:

MLV App 1.1 that i had problem with before i wrote here for a help:

Original:

Tweaked (but couldn't match the green):

MLV App 1.2 from fresh post above:

Original (strange colors):

Tweaked roughly:

Result: MLVApp WB and MLV App 1.2 with tweaking match the reference. WB version was more natural to tweak.

It's only greens and blue. Gotta test different colors next time   ??? facepalm....

WB version (i understand it wasn't even a version, just to try) doesn't export cDNGs.

1.2 export cDNG from what i tweaked, but it looks different:
Screenshot from Lightroom (not touched):

Shifting Temp and Tint brings it back to life.