MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcagle

Can someone upload the most updated installer zip to Google Drive or some file sharing service. The official site for MLV App's download rate is super slow.

Much appreciated!

Danne

New script included called PROXY_CLEANER.command(mac users only)
The script is dedicated to those MOV files which can be recorded simultaneously while recording MLV. So called proxy files. The script will clean the beginning of each file since these proxy files will contain a short start with black frames. The script will only apply cleaning of corresponding MOV if it finds a matching MLV and only if it was selected from within MLV app. It will also skip processing if the file itself doesn´t contain any starting black frames. It will execute after MLV processing to dng files has ended. When all is done the original MOV files will be placed in A_ORIGINALS folder while the new files will be stashed next to your MLV files.
This workflow doesn´t pay attention to the ending of the proxy file. Seems to work anyway so if this is a problem let me know. The solution in that case is to set end point according to amount of dng files processed from the corresponding MLV.
The script will run in parallell(max 4 processes) to speed up processing.

Script base here:
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/commit/42f67d6efcb843d189dacc5ee46539734b80a4db#diff-4fe43f1dfed9a11f5730174f514ce3f7

Find your script here

Include MLV and MOV files in the same folder

Indication of script running.

End result

Lars Steenhoff

Wow thats super nice to have!
I was just thinking about it a few days ago, I think at some point it would be good to have an indicator inside mlvapp that shows if a .mlv has a corresponding .mov file in the directory.

A bit like how lightroom shows a raw+jpg as a single file. Or just a little text under the thumbnail indicating the proxy availability.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Very exciting things going on here. I like the new interface changes.

Been taking a break from code stuff. Trying to be a user.

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 21, 2018, 11:11:52 PM
I had just finished the final grade of a video I filmed a few months ago in resolve, and I still felt it could be better, so I tried again in mlvapp, and I'm totally happy with the results.

If you can trust your eyes while grading, you can do almost anything with mlvapp.  There are definitely "better" tools out there but that doesn't mean you can't get just as good results from this great program!
Exactly what I've been thinking as I've been using MLV App intensely in the last few days. Very basic, but incredible results if you get it right.

Top Secret tip: use a little bit of the film "FJ" filter to add depth and contrast when the shot is a bit flat in contrast but highly saturated in colour.

Quote from: djcagle on October 24, 2018, 02:09:05 PM
Can someone upload the most updated installer zip to Google Drive or some file sharing service. The official site for MLV App's download rate is super slow.

Much appreciated!

Good idea.
@bouncymasc Maybe we should do 1.2, the fixed stripe correction is pretty major, and new interface things.

@Lars Wow I thought that was a real bird. Very nice.

Also about the icons, I agree that the current ones are a bit old fashioned and inconsistent (struggling to figure out what I mean by inconsistent), however the colour in them is helpful for usability as they're easy to distinguish. I like yours too, but they are a bit big, I think they might look better if they were a bit smaller, leaving more space between them.

masc

Okay @ilia... lets start release discussion on github again! ;)

@djcagle: ultra slow for users is ultra fast for developpers. If it is to slow for you, you can compile your personal version at each time you wish.

@Lars: with these icons... the reason why we don't use white icons is, that they are only visible on a darktheme OS. If there is no darktheme, your icons are invisible -> that is not usable.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Quote from: masc on October 24, 2018, 04:33:26 PM

@Lars: with these icons... the reason why we don't use white icons is, that they are only visible on a darktheme OS. If there is no darktheme, your icons are invisible -> that is not usable.

Yes I know thats why I was saying its what I use personally, I like them because they fit my os style.
But for me it's not important to change any of the icons in the main app, I just wanted to share so perhaps some others who use osx dark mode can benefit from them.

ilia3101

if it's not hard, maybe we would make it switchable? (the icon theme)

Also release discussion lets start that

togg

Quote from: Ilia3101 on October 24, 2018, 04:25:41 PM
@bouncymasc Maybe we should do 1.2, the fixed stripe correction is pretty major, and new interface things.

Wait I've lost something I think :) what happened with stripe correction?

12georgiadis

@Danne, it's a super cool integration ! I'm sure a lot of people would use more the Proxy workflow with MLV app !
I'll test it When I return form Mexico. One suggestion : we could also have the option to clean proxy files without exporting DNG in MLV app. Then, after the editing, we use the import XML function to get the edited MLV and export in DNG/APR444 log-c for grading in Resolve

What do you think ?

Danne

I think Switch is a good alternative here. Why. Simply because these scripts are all based upon MLV files and it all takes place after all other processes are done in Mlv App. However if you want a workaround you could find this place in the script:
#split into 4 chunks
   split -l $(( $( wc -l < /tmp/mlvapp_path/file_names.txt ) / 4 + 1 )) /tmp/mlvapp_path/file_names.txt /tmp/PROXYFILES
   rm /tmp/PROXYFILES

And then you put in this above those lines:
cd "$(cat /tmp/mlvapp_path/output_folder.txt)"
ls *.MLV > /tmp/mlvapp_path/file_names.txt

The new part should look like this:

#split into 4 chunks
   split -l $(( $( wc -l < /tmp/mlvapp_path/file_names.txt ) / 4 + 1 )) /tmp/mlvapp_path/file_names.txt /tmp/PROXYFILES
   rm /tmp/PROXYFILES

Now you can select only one MLV from within Mlv App and by simply exporting one dng(or more for that matter) it will activate the script then go through all MOV and MLV files in that folder regardless if you processed the other MLV files or not.

ilia3101

Quote from: togg on October 24, 2018, 07:03:13 PM
Wait I've lost something I think :) what happened with stripe correction?

It was very broken before, if the footage was not 14 bit and had intense stripes it would create a grid like pattern - all discussed here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/issues/112

ilia3101

12georgiadis

Quote from: Danne on October 24, 2018, 08:13:16 PM
I think Switch is a good alternative here. Why. Simply because these scripts are all based upon MLV files and it all takes place after all other processes are done in Mlv App. However if you want a workaround you could find this place in the script:
#split into 4 chunks
   rm /tmp/PROXYFILES

And then you put in this above those lines:

The new part should look like this:

#split into 4 chunks
   rm /tmp/PROXYFILES

Now you can select only one MLV from within Mlv App and by simply exporting one dng(or more for that matter) it will activate the script then go through all MOV and MLV files in that folder regardless if you processed the other MLV files or not.
Superb Danne ! I'll try the 1 MLV selection method

70MM13

One thing that would be very helpful for me (apart from receipt slots!!!) is scale control for the video scopes.  It would be great to be able to crank it way up to see true cutoff of highlights and shadows when necessary.

At least, I think so ;)

IDA_ML

masc

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 25, 2018, 03:15:25 AM
One thing that would be very helpful for me (apart from receipt slots!!!) is scale control for the video scopes.  It would be great to be able to crank it way up to see true cutoff of highlights and shadows when necessary.
Would be nice... but: what you see is 1:1 from the calculation algorithm. That means: there is not more information. Making it larger would make it just  unsharp. Or we interpolate (histogram) between the points, or we adapt the scanning lines (waveform) what drops framerate significantly.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Hello @masc

Can you add rotation option in Transformation tab it would be helpful when shooting in portrait mode "vertical mode" here an example footage: Download .

masc

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 25, 2018, 01:22:53 PM
Can you add rotation option in Transformation tab it would be helpful when shooting in portrait mode "vertical mode"
Puh... that's also a feature, which needs a big part of the app to be rewritten. Mirroring would be easy, 180° too, but 180° we have already. Problem is, that the viewer area must be identical to MLVs resolution in our implementation. This is why e.g. cropping is a problem too. With stretching we did a trick, but already this brought many problems nobody sees (hopefully), at least if you export via FFMPEG or cDNG.
In any NLE it is very easy to rotate... that is no option? And you really use portrait mode for filming?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Usually I don't use portrait mode only today I have used it, but maybe in future also. Not a big thing to me but it good to have something like that for preview. Thanks for helping!

Kharak

Downloaded 1.1

Wondering about the Zoom Fit mode. After Amaze Cached is idling I get 16-17 fps, if I press F to zoom in, I get 20-21 fps but if I zoom out to fill the screen exactly as much as Zoom Fit mode does, it still stays at 20-21 fps, but as soon as I press F again it drops to 16-17 fps even though the size of the screen is exactly the same. Is there some kind of quality difference between Fullscreen and Zoomed in ?
once you go raw you never go back

Lars Steenhoff

One is 100% pixels and the other is interpolated from this 100% to a higher magnification, My guess this extra interpolation step takes up processor cycles.
( and when you zoom the window to match you don't know if its a 100% pixel match even when it looks close )

I would love to see an GPU accelerated playback at some point, I did see there is an open CL branch but I did not try that one yet.