MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Here are the new shortcuts:

Type CMD+R and you have opened your last session.

Single DNG export is surely possible. But this function was thought different: first we had just png export via Qt - extremely easy, but just 8bit. Then we got ffmpeg and cDNG - very hard to implement (in comparison) but very good quality. It was nearly no code overhead to leave the old easy function. Adding cDNG for single frames will let the code explode again... :-D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Can't you use the same code as normal cinema dng export?

Just with a time range of only the current frame?

Lars Steenhoff

Just tested the latest version, have to say it's really nice!

I love that I can quickly have a realtime preview in MLrawviewer, with a quick shortcut, works really well.
also really happy that I can locate my clips now by reveal in finder.

CMD + R to load the last session is fast, and getting a warning when quitting with the option to save is so useful,
Before I many times forgot to save and lost my whole session.

Danne

70MM13

I just wanted to chime in to say I'm also very happy with how mlvapp is developing!

I had just finished the final grade of a video I filmed a few months ago in resolve, and I still felt it could be better, so I tried again in mlvapp, and I'm totally happy with the results.

If you can trust your eyes while grading, you can do almost anything with mlvapp.  There are definitely "better" tools out there but that doesn't mean you can't get just as good results from this great program!

Keep it going!

Thanks for all your efforts!

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on October 21, 2018, 12:07:51 PM
Until now I hated every application what does autosaving (LR, FCPX,... ), because it never worked as I expected and only makes work even harder for both - developer and user. That is why I more like manually open and save.
+1 for sure! :D

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 21, 2018, 10:30:35 PM
I love that I can quickly have a realtime preview in MLrawviewer, with a quick shortcut, works really well.

Does it support the new crop_rec modules from experimental page?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 21, 2018, 10:12:27 PM
Can't you use the same code as normal cinema dng export?

Just with a time range of only the current frame?
In part yes... but there will be some hundreds of additional lines anyway, if we do it a nice way. If we go this step, we have already now to think about the guy who wishes single BMP export tomorrow... if you know what I mean. I think it would end in a 2nd export chain with 2 or 3 different channels, extra dialogs, setting-registry (invisible to user) and so on...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 21, 2018, 11:11:52 PM
I had just finished the final grade of a video I filmed a few months ago in resolve, and I still felt it could be better, so I tried again in mlvapp, and I'm totally happy with the results.

If you can trust your eyes while grading, you can do almost anything with mlvapp.  There are definitely "better" tools out there but that doesn't mean you can't get just as good results from this great program!
:D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

I don't see how BMB is different enough from PNG.  ( both are debayered )

DNG on the other hand is the image raw file just in a container that photoshop understands. I'm using photoshop to test out grades with the new profiles option in camera raw.

yea I can understand  your way of thinking about how to inplement it properly.
It would nice to have the option to set the output format for still image.

How about if export still image takes the same setting as the video export setting?
So for example if the video setting is set to DNG it makes the dng,
but if its set to proress or any other compressed format is makes a PNG.

Lars Steenhoff

No just ignore what i said, the proper way is the best way  8)

Dmytro_ua

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Lars Steenhoff

I have one enhancement proposal.

Now that we will have export current frame to DNG.  ( I compiled the latest from git, great work by the way )
It takes a few steps to get a current frame DNG to photoshop.

1. click on export current frame ( or use shortcut )
2. click on the compression type
3. click on where to save the file ( currently does not remember the last path but saves it on the current mlv location )
4. go to the finder to that location
5 double click to open in photoshop

How about if I could use a shortcut and it opens the current frame in the external application.  ( same kind of functionality as open mlv in external app )
I could for example press CMD + E and it would open the current frame directly in the external app. ( in my case photoshop )

So the end result would be only one step

1 press shortcut key and it opens in the external app.   one alternate method could be right click on the image editor window and have an option there open in external app.

With these enhancement quality of life in the app would go up as less clicking leads to a smooth workflow.

masc

And how comes the picture data into the external app, without saving?
2. setting is saved, so should mostly not be neccessairy
3. is still in work...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

It would save it first yes true, and then open it in external app. ( save location would be in a set path by the user )

masc

1. click on export current frame ( or use shortcut )
2. click on the compression type
3. type saving location
4. select application to open wtih
5. press "export&open" button
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

8). yes the first time, after one time it would know where to save the file in what type of compression and what program to open with  :)

IDA_ML

I also have an enhancement proposal. 

An "UNDO" (Ctrl-Z) action to undo the last setting on a clip and also previous settings with several clicks would be very welcome.  Same also with "REDO" to get them back.  Another button (a circle with an arrow) to restore the initial state of the clip before any settings were applied, would be helpful too.

Lars Steenhoff

@IDA_ML.

Do you know that reset receipt is there in the menu, this one does your last request, just without a button.

masc

Unfortunately Undo & Redo of each action you do needs a completely different software architecture of the whole parameter holding part. I don't want to say it is impossible... but it would mean implementing the whole thing new from scratch.
For initial state just use Ctrl+Alt+R.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Ctrl+Alt+R works nicely.  I was not aware of that.  Thanks a lot, Masc and Lars.

bouncyball

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 23, 2018, 01:18:49 PM
8). yes the first time, after one time it would know where to save the file in what type of compression and what program to open with  :)
Definitely, the laziness and desire of a human has no end :P

Lars Steenhoff

I'm using for myself a monochrome icon set,
If anyone want to try it out let me know how it works for you.
It works best with a black osx menu bar.

Dark mode OSX mlv app:
http:/larssteenhoff.com/mlvapp/MLVApp.zip

Fork
https://github.com/larssteenhoff/MLV-App
Icons come from https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome